Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would take the central CT coastline over DC any day. I actually cannot stand the DC area. IMO, Lyme, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook and that whole area is beautiful. Yes, you will find an "air" in the residents there, but it is not the in-your-face pretentiousness that you'll find in southwestern CT and Westchester.
Lol I can't stand the DC area either. I have had some friends from CT decided to move there, and they can have it. That area is so fast paced, traffic ridden, crime ridden and has a lot of GHETTO.

Anyway, as far as pretentiousness and snobbery in CT, honestly, I think most of it comes from white spoiled women. For some reason, to me, snobbiness doesn't seem as blatant from men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 11,834 times
There is a very "scary" video on youtube that gives a glimpse of the beaches during the summer in Old Lyme. I Was seriously considering old lyme as a town my family would move to untill I saw that....it was like the epitome of the "Jersey Shore" However, It sounds like the schools are wonderful(especially the teacher /student ratio) and the coastal life is very appealing to us as we are moving up from Louisiana. If this is truly how Old Lyme CT is during the summer, then the Chamber of Commerce for the City Of Old Lyme seriously needs to view that video. Might be missing out on a fabulous place to live but could not deal with the Jersey shore all summer long.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:13 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticutwannabe View Post
There is a very "scary" video on youtube that gives a glimpse of the beaches during the summer in Old Lyme. I Was seriously considering old lyme as a town my family would move to untill I saw that....it was like the epitome of the "Jersey Shore" However, It sounds like the schools are wonderful(especially the teacher /student ratio) and the coastal life is very appealing to us as we are moving up from Louisiana. If this is truly how Old Lyme CT is during the summer, then the Chamber of Commerce for the City Of Old Lyme seriously needs to view that video. Might be missing out on a fabulous place to live but could not deal with the Jersey shore all summer long.
I find it hard to believe the beaches in Old Lyme are Jersey-Shore like.

I just scrolled through a bunch of videos on youtube under "Old Lyme Beach" and nothing outrageous came up, and the only times there was a big crowd was when there were special events/concerts on the beach. The Memorial Day crowd I saw on one looked busy, but not overly crowded.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Default The Video...

Hello NewJeffCt,

I was looking for a video that would show off how beautiful it is there... So I typed into Youtube ... Old Lyme, Ct and the first video that popped up was called "4 mile".... I clicked on it and stood there stunned watching it.
Try to see if you can find it... I still have an open mind.

Thanks,

Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Hello NewJeffCt,

I was looking for a video that would show off how beautiful it is there... So I typed into Youtube ... Old Lyme, Ct and the first video that popped up was called "4 mile".... I clicked on it and stood there stunned watching it.

Thanks,
The video looks like a parody to me - maybe made by CMusic29, since it seems to be his attitude as well.

There are also several smaller private beaches in Old Lyme as well. Most of the residents would go to the town beaches, not the more crowded public ones anyhow.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Hi NewJeffCt,

Unfortunately, CMmusic29 has issues.....but honestly I don't think he made that music video. Obviuosly.. The area of "Soundview " has a Jersey Shore kind of thing going on..You wouldn't have a video like that without some truth to it. I am glad to learn that there are private beaches to avoid all of that. the area is still beautiful ... Snobs ..and all ... CMmusic would probably think Im a snob ..so I honestly don't take his tainted view to heart. I just needed to hear from people that have middle school age children about what the area really feels like and what the schools are like.

Thanks,

Old 07-04-2014, 09:15 AM

115 posts, read 145,362 times
Quote:
Hello NewJeffCt,

Thanks,
Before we moved here (CT), I was looking along the Connecticut coastline as well…and saw that video. I found it funny, strange, and sad all at the same time. From what I’ve been told by family (who live in Saybrook)- that video is really more about the undercurrent of the war between “townies vs the newcomers”. As a new resident to CT, I have finally come to understand, at least in part, some of this; Connecticut is really at the very edge of the metropolitan East Coast it seems, as one gets greater distance from NYC the overtones of modern America slowly (but surly) give way to a more simple, insular, and less worldly population . While townies are more common in the real New England states(MA, VT, NH, ME)….Connecticut still has some vestiges of this left in rural areas far from the cities (New Haven, Hartford, NYC…etc.).

My experiences with Old Lyme, now that I’m a full time Connecticut resident….is while there is a small (and ever dwindling) population of “townies/rednecks”like the ones who made the video, a steady influx of newcomers has made the town an interesting and great recreational location to enjoy the seacoast. The public beach area (Soundview) is on one tiny street (Hartford Ave) and even so, is populated by familes who rent out the modest beach cottages for a few weeks each summer. Most are nice, well mannered, family people, and with the closing of the several of the bars on Hartford Ave, there is just a single place left ( I think) that even serves alcohol. The Jersey or CA coast it is not.

Today Old Lyme seems to come off as a rather tranquil well-kept coastal community where people enjoy fishing, boating, the beach,…etc, and could careless about who you are or where your from. My first impression 6 years ago is even more true today: I was walking along the State Fishing Pier (I love fishing) and noticed the several fishing poles bobbing up and down as the deep tanned fisherman dozed under the bright August sun. That seemed like a nice way to pass a summer day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut