Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 AM

678 posts, read 847,199 times

Advertisements

And I would like to say the same for Upper FFC as well with the NY/CT border. I can't imagine how much worse traffic would get. It's already projected to get worse as is. Atleast without tolls, it's onset will be delayed. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Just imagine how nice it would be flowing after the one sided toll booth in Greenwich.

This is the one sided New Rochelle Tolls I added CT onto the sign.

Southbound can be the no toll side in Greenwich/Port Chaster

Old 05-13-2014, 05:12 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Mass has a big project bidding next month to get rid of manual toll booths with a system called AET (All Electric Tolling). It takes a photo of your plate and sends you a bill. NY has this too. It would ease some congestion because you would have to slow down to go through the reader and it collects tolls without paying a person to stand there. It will also help lines at the toll booths.

All electronic tolling system on Massachusetts Turnpike unpopular with residents at public hearing in Springfield | masslive.com

Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I doubt the Federal Highway Administration would allow tolls to be put at our borders. This would ignite a toll war between states and is just generally a bad practice.

The idea of adding tolls would likely be to pay for several large scale projects that the state is planning but has no money to pay for. This would include I-84 in Hartford, widening I-95 from Branford to RI and possibly Route 11. Tolls would not be the old fashioned toll booths you see in New York and MAssachusetts. They would be open-road type tolls which would use transponders to charge people or snap photos of license plates to charge people without them. This type of tolling is relatively new and not used here in the northeast. Still it is becoming the general practice of many agencies around the country. Jay

Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Default Aet

Exactly. Tolling today can have zero impact on traffic. But in terms of what's politically feasible, it is one thing to maintain tolls on roads that don't get federal interstate highway funds, like route 15, and another to impose them on roads like 84 or 91 that were built with 90% federal funding. Mass built I-90 at its own expense and has maintained it (not so well) with toll revenue. Mass ended tolling on the western part of the turnpike and is now reinstating it apparently with AET. Conn could do the same: Conn built the parkways and the CT Turnpike (95 + 395) in the same way--without federal funds--and has a more legit claim to restore tolling on those roads. Once the state collects the total revenue it can use it on any road.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I doubt the Federal Highway Administration would allow tolls to be put at our borders. This would ignite a toll war between states and is just generally a bad practice.
Fine, put it in Greenwich northbound. Let Port Chester get backed up. I bet you the flow going north after the tolls will be less congested.

I think there's a live meeting for tolls in Texas..

"Heiligenstein was in Washington pushing members of Congress and officials in Texas to put more of an emphasis on tolling roads. He said adding toll lanes and constructing tolled roadways reduces congestion and pays for new infrastructure, citing the ongoing MoPac Improvement Project as one example"

Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Uhh.. NO NO NO
Clear enough..
NO

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
At the borders I'm fine with. I'm actually still puzzled when I see people with NY/NJ plates without an EZ-Pass, who wants to sit and wait for a toll.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,251 times
So we can pay our retirees who live down south.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leremede4u View Post
So we can pay our retirees who live down south.
At least we can get some money from them driving around in out of state registered vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut