Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:40 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I'm not a republican I just think this is an overstep. Schools are run by money obtained through taxes. Thus it's taxpayer money. If they wanted this to go through, bring it to the people and vote just don't pass more laws and more regulations. I think doing this would just give law makers more leeway to bring more "nanny" control to schools and/or life that parents should be doing. if voters agree, well that's that. But passing laws at midnight without getting the public's view when it effects the public is a bad move.

I do agree with the second item you said. Kids will break bones, get hurt, fight and run around. They are kids what else are they going to do.
Tea party or Libertarian? LOL

I hate nanny stuff more than anyone and I'm democrat. I remember that crap Bloomberg in NY was doing telling grown adults how big a soda they can buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,955,909 times
Quote:
I'm not a republican I just think this is an overstep. Schools are run by money obtained through taxes. Thus it's taxpayer money. If they wanted this to go through, bring it to the people and vote just don't pass more laws and more regulations. I think doing this would just give law makers more leeway to bring more "nanny" control to schools and/or life that parents should be doing. if voters agree, well that's that. But passing laws at midnight without getting the public's view when it effects the public is a bad move.

I do agree with the second item you said. Kids will break bones, get hurt, fight and run around. They are kids what else are they going to do.
You're right that it's an over reach by the government. However, surveys and votes over the years have shown that when other states have banned junk foods, soda, etc, in schools, it's been a popular move. I think chocolate milk banning is too extreme, just like Bloomberg banning the giant sodas.

Obesity rates soared in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s after schools started selling coke, pepsi, juice boxes, etc, instead of your standard milk, chocolate milk and/or getting water from the drinking fountain. However, since states have started banning junk foods and soda and the like in schools, obesity rates have fallen in the last five years. (Arnold S and California banned soda and junk food way back in 2005 or 2006, I think?) I don't think it's entirely a coincidence.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:57 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
I'm against this-- There's nothing wrong with a little chocolate milk. Sure, it's got high sugar content, but, like a previous poster said it's ridiculous when put up next to fried chicken nuggets, etc.

Child / teen obesity rates have soared more from lack of activity in kids than diet. No matter how much XBox 360 you play, you won't burn the same calories we used to running around outside.

If they really want to fight obesity, get kids active again. Instead of scaling back gym classes, scale them back up. Encourage participation in school teams or intra mural leagues. Do schools still do the Presidential Physical Fitness Program?

Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,892,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
You're right that it's an over reach by the government. However, surveys and votes over the years have shown that when other states have banned junk foods, soda, etc, in schools, it's been a popular move. I think chocolate milk banning is too extreme, just like Bloomberg banning the giant sodas.

Obesity rates soared in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s after schools started selling coke, pepsi, juice boxes, etc, instead of your standard milk, chocolate milk and/or getting water from the drinking fountain. However, since states have started banning junk foods and soda and the like in schools, obesity rates have fallen in the last five years. (Arnold S and California banned soda and junk food way back in 2005 or 2006, I think?) I don't think it's entirely a coincidence.
Connecticut banned soda sales in schools several years ago, as well as sugary drinks like Gatorade. This latest vote makes the existing law even more strict.

Also, there have been changes made in regards to food served in schools. For instance, pasta and breads are now whole grain, foods are baked not fried, packaged chips are baked, etc. But as I said earlier, I think banning chocolate milk is too restrictive.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,486,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I don't like tea and I have not been to a library in years.

That Bloomberg stuff was crazy though. If they want to curb obesity take away the kids iPads or cell phones and make them run around outside.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:

That Bloomberg stuff was crazy though. If they want to curb obesity take away the kids iPads or cell phones and make them run around outside.
yeah really. I remember being a kid. I'd LIVE at the park. Dawn to dusk when I wasn't at school. Now they sit inside and play video games/watch tv.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,717,990 times
Quote:

I hate nanny stuff more than anyone and I'm democrat. I remember that crap Bloomberg in NY was doing telling grown adults how big a soda they can buy.

Believe it or not, I understand why Bloomberg wanted to put a cap on soda sizes. I also realize we as Americans have choices, and that we should have the freedom to choose what we want, but with that freedom also comes responsibility and consequences, and that's proven to be a problem area for many people in this country. Now, I'm not saying we should ban all sodas but. . . certainly any serving of soda that's larger than a baby.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Believe it or not, I understand why Bloomberg wanted to put a cap on soda sizes. I also realize we as Americans have choices, and that we should have the freedom to choose what we want, but with that freedom also comes responsibility and consequences, and that's proven to be a problem area for many people in this country. Now, I'm not saying we should ban all sodas but. . . certainly any serving of soda that's larger than a baby.
I've seen people thin as a RAKE buying those large sized sodas. Genetics is a major factor here that no one seems to want to admit. Not everyone stores fat. We are in a free country. If a private business can't have the right to sell certain sized sodas then we are not truly a free country. I'm totally for labeling being mandatory though. Let people make their decision. And what's next....banning french fries? We allow people to buy ciggarettes and alcohol! Cigs are a MILLION times worse than a large soda. It's not even a comparison. Cigs are PROVEN to cause cancer. Soda has NOT been proven to cause cancer. Period.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:59 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,717,990 times
Quote:
Soda has NOT been proven to cause cancer. Period.
Well, not according to industry lobbyists anyway.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:16 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
I love chocolate milk.....I guess they mean well but this is way overdoing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut