Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 04:59 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times

Advertisements

Lawmakers Vote to Ban Chocolate Milk in Schools | NBC Connecticut

"Lawmakers Vote to Ban Chocolate Milk in Schools
Schools would only be allowed to serve unflavored milk."

"Lonnie Burt, the chief nutritionist of Hartford Public Schools, has concerns about the impact this legislation will have on children’s nutrition. Chocolate milk provides calcium, vitamin A, potassium and other nutrients, she said.

“What concerns me is that if chocolate milk is not one of the available options, then I believe students will decrease consumption of milk overall,” Burt said.

The American Heart Association seems to agree and said the nutritional value of milk, even flavored milk, outweighs concerns about the amount of sodium in diets."

AN ACT CONCERNING MINOR REVISIONS TO THE EDUCATION STATUTES.
Section 8(a) is the problem

Many kids will simply not drink milk if it's not flavored. Those kids will suffer. You can bring 'em to plain milk, but you can't make 'em drink plain milk.

My daughter doesn't like milk at all anyway, so I give her calcium supplements vitamins and push protein at her in other forms. My concern is for a lot of kids milk at school is their main source of calcium, as their parents won't give supplements at home. Plus also there are some kids that actually struggle to put weight on. They need all the calories and calcium and protein they can get.

I've tweeted Gov Malloy to not sign this, cause IMHO ITS AN OVERREACH OF LEGISLATIVE POWERS

Last edited by seymourct; 05-16-2014 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
They've already passed several laws limiting the amount of junk and unhealthy foods that are served to the kids, which I am happy about. But this is overkill, you are right, kids just won't drink regular milk. And I bet the milk served will be low-fat.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:37 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Chocolate milk is healthy. Genetics are your biggest factors in getting most diseases and we all have a one way ticket to the grave anyway. Obesity, which has a genetic predisposition, is obviously effected by environment. But that's total calorie intake. I find it strange we are calorie counting with children nowadays. If the child is obese then they need to be put on a diet. Low fat chocolate milk could easily be part of that diet. But most children are not obese. So restricting everyone is absurd.

Nothing wrong with chocolate milk. Especially low fat chocolate milk. No study can prove anything dangerous about it. There should definetly be healthy options like fresh fruit and yogurt available at school lunches though. Chocolate milk is loaded with nutrients, protein, b vitamins, antioxidants and is very healthy. It's great for a growing child and they love it. I've never heard of chocolate milk overdosing

We've really gone crazy.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:40 AM

Nbc Ct FBook post about this has over 2.3k complaints. A lot talking about voting their state reps and the Gov out in Nov just because of school milk.

@GovMalloyOffice , his twitter address if you want to complain

Old 05-16-2014, 05:46 AM

I believe the milk they serve is already low fat. This clause is exactly about the sugar and sodium. The exactly precise limitations in a 4oz serving make it virtually impossible to be flavored.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:55 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
I don't have children but I don't like this. It is not governments role to tell the kids what they can and can not have. I would think that is it up to the parents discretion if they want their kids to have certain foods. Government should provide solid education, a safe environment and a place to grow. Please keep the Government out of cafe's. It's a small step, but soon there will be way to much they control.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Because it's bad for you, we're banning chocolate milk. But here are your deep-fried chicken tenders, tater tots, buttery corn and, of course, slice of apple.

Connecticut is the Nutmeg State? More like the Nanny State.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I don't have children but I don't like this. It is not governments role to tell the kids what they can and can not have. I would think that is it up to the parents discretion if they want their kids to have certain foods. Government should provide solid education, a safe environment and a place to grow. Please keep the Government out of cafe's. It's a small step, but soon there will be way to much they control.
Typical paranoid repub stuff about "big government". It's a school run by government. It's socialized government run public schooling. They can serve whatever they want. Go to a private school if you don't like it.

That being said. This is absurd. Worried about sodium and sugar in a 12 year olds chocolate milk. Give me a break. You only live once. Enjoy your chocolate milk during lunch.(that and gym were the only periods I liked) It's all about moderation.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:25 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Typical paranoid repub stuff about "big government". It's a school run by government. It's socialized government run public schooling. They can serve whatever they want. Go to a private school if you don't like it.

That being said. This is absurd. Worried about sodium and sugar in a 12 year olds chocolate milk. Give me a break. You only live once. Enjoy your chocolate milk during lunch.(that and gym were the only periods I liked) It's all about moderation.
I'm not a republican I just think this is an overstep. Schools are run by money obtained through taxes. Thus it's taxpayer money. If they wanted this to go through, bring it to the people and vote just don't pass more laws and more regulations. I think doing this would just give law makers more leeway to bring more "nanny" control to schools and/or life that parents should be doing. if voters agree, well that's that. But passing laws at midnight without getting the public's view when it effects the public is a bad move.

I do agree with the second item you said. Kids will break bones, get hurt, fight and run around. They are kids what else are they going to do.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I just did some on-the-fly calculations, and it looks like they can probably still serve chocolate milk.

The guidelines don't require "zero added sugar." They require "less than 4 grams *added* sugar per serving." A serving is 4 ounces. They can't put any added sodium in it either. If you switch to other nutritional guidelines for the FDA, you learn that less than 1 gram is considered "zero."

So you take this one ounce at a time.

Lowfat milk naturally already has 1.5 grams sugars, and 13 grams of sodium.
Chocolate lowfat has 3.175 grams sugars, and 14 grams of sodium per ounce.

The milk manufacturers would need to make a "chocolate-lite" version, which would have perhaps a pinch less chocolate, to bring it down to the 2.45 grams sugar and 13.20 grams sodium that the law would allow (that's per ounce. Total for 4 ounces would be an extra 3.85 grams sugar, and an extra .85 grams sodium, which would fall under the maximums, if "less than one" qualifies as "zero".

It'd be *less* chocolatey than it is commercially, but it would still be chocolatey and entirely distinguishable from white milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut