Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 05:18 PM

14 posts, read 28,724 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for something extremely modest and affordable in central-ish CT and I'm very curious about the tiny houses and cottages in the neighborhoods surrounding Coventry lake.

They seem even cheaper than equivalent houses in the less desirable parts of East Hartford, plus the taxes are lower. Keep in mind I'm looking at $75k ballpark - HUD homes, and dumps that I can clean up and live in at least seasonally.

I've see that a couple have sewer liens. So I'm guessing there was some town sewer upgrade at some point in the recent past. So does anyone know the details surrounding that operation - was it optional, was there an assessment, are people being forced to shut down their septics based on change in codes, etc.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
When we were looking at that area the sewer project was just getting started.The cost was pretty hefty.
I would check with town before getting involved.You had no choice if I remember.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,733 times
I could be wrong (and I say this only because I've personally never been confronted w/ this opportunity), but no, I don't think you could be "forced" to abandon your own personal septic system. To be clear, no one would ever have to put a gun to my head if public swear became available to me, because I would absolutely switch VERY willingly. But I don't think they could force you to, especially if there's a personal cost involved. Don't take this as gospel though -- I could be very wrong (wouldn't be the first time either! LOL!!)

Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
OP- you should really call the town and go over all the details with them. I can only offer anecdotal info. I have a friend whose daughter & family live in that area of Coventry which was sewered.

They were required to hook up. The area has a sewer lien on each house for the sewer assessments to pay for the sewers running through the roads in front of the homes. Then they had to pay individually to bring the sewer line from the street to the house. There are also sewer use charges.

Do call the town though to get the correct info.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
A similar situation happened in my town. The area surrounding the lake in my town is required to hook up to the new sewer system. Required is the key word there...you have no choice, as they instituted the sewers due to environmental problems with the lake from failing septic systems. Failure to pay the charge will result in a lien on the property. Call the town to get details.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
OP- you should really call the town and go over all the details with them. I can only offer anecdotal info. I have a friend whose daughter & family live in that area of Coventry which was sewered.

They were required to hook up. The area has a sewer lien on each house for the sewer assessments to pay for the sewers running through the roads in front of the homes. Then they had to pay individually to bring the sewer line from the street to the house. There are also sewer use charges.

Do call the town though to get the correct info.
The reason I did not consider area,lots are tiny for the most part.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:34 PM

14 posts, read 28,724 times
Thanks for the feedback. Those types of scenarios sound reasonably likely, and would explain part of the apparent cost non-linearity. I will try the town - maybe start with the public works department and see if they can fill me in.

@mels - any chance you're talking about the Amston lake area? That's one other location that seemed to have similar symptoms - especially low priced modest houses near a cute little lake.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly View Post
@mels - any chance you're talking about the Amston lake area? That's one other location that seemed to have similar symptoms - especially low priced modest houses near a cute little lake.
I was referring to Lake Terramuggus in Marlborough. When I moved here, our realtor made us aware of the sewer situation in certain parts of town so luckily we were able to take that into consideration when purchasing. There are lots of great little lakes around the area, I hope you find the house that suits your needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut