Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 28,689 times

Advertisements

May be working near Montville. Have middle and high school boys so schools important. Looking for little land with approximately $400,000 to pay for home. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 AM

4,715 posts, read 5,940,752 times
Welcome to the area.

East Haddam is a nice quiet rural town. The school system is small, but it's solid.

I'd also look at Haddam, Deep River, East Lyme and maybe Old Lyme. Old Lyme is pretty pricey, though, so you won't get much for $400,000.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,728,957 times
I'd throw Colchester. also. However, I would recommend staying west of the CT River, just for ease of commuting. Any accident or construction on a bridge and you're a captive audience.

East Lyme is considered to have the best school system in south east CT, followed by Old Lyme.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:49 PM

34,801 posts, read 56,687,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I'd throw Colchester. also. However, I would recommend staying west of the CT River, just for ease of commuting. Any accident or construction on a bridge and you're a captive audience.

East Lyme is considered to have the best school system in south east CT, followed by Old Lyme.
The OP will be working in Montville so they would want to stay EAST of the Connecticut River, not west, to avoid having to commute across a bridge.

There are many nice towns that would fit the OP's needs. I would also add Salem to the list as well. For information on schools here in Connecticut, check the website below. Look for a school that performs at or above the state average on the Connecticut Academic Performance Test which is given to all high school students. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 06-01-2014, 01:06 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,728,957 times
Thanks Jay, that's what I meant -LOL

Salem is nice, they use East Lyme high school after grade school. It's a way down to East Lyme on the bus or running your kids around to practices, etc.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:42 PM

4,715 posts, read 5,940,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

I'd also add that the schools in Essex/Deep River (Valley Regional), Haddam/Killingworth and East Haddam are also good school systems as well. And, if you live in Deep River or Haddam, you can also get over the river in East Haddam those days when there is an accident on the bridge over 95.

The OP could also consider Marlborough & Hebron as well, as RHAM (Regional Hebron, Andover & Marlborough) is also a good school system. I think Andover might be too much of a commute to Montville, though, unless I'm forgetting something?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,400,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
The OP could also consider Marlborough & Hebron as well, as RHAM (Regional Hebron, Andover & Marlborough) is also a good school system. I think Andover might be too much of a commute to Montville, though, unless I'm forgetting something?
I'm in Marlborough and can be in Montville in about 30 minutes. It is a super easy drive and relatively traffic free. I think you're right, Andover may be a little far, putting you towards the 45 minute mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut