Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,043 times

Advertisements

I don't have an exact address yet, but I am curious about the area/street.

My wife is looking into a potential job in a lawyers office(she is a Paralegal) and we are curious about the area or street as far as safety and walking around. We don't venture to NH too much except for Yale NH Hospital where my sister works, Tikkaway Indian food on Orange St or Ikea. so I am not too familiar.

She would be taking the bus from our house as there is a stop on RTE 34 very close by and there seems to be a bus line to Chapel St.

Any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Smile Chapel St. different in different blocks

Hard to generalize, as Chapel St. is very long and starts out in Fair Haven (no lawyers on that stretch), goes by Wooster Sq. and a couple of blocks later crosses Orange and State Streets and lots of lawyers in that area as the courthouses are near the New Haven Green. Then it goes into a Yale U area and I believe there are some lawyers' offices, then to the St. Raphael's area where I believe there are some, then out to Westville. I am guessing the office she will be in is probably near the New Haven Green (addresses are in the 900's and up in that area) and it is a very busy area, lots of people boarding and getting off busses there and probably quite safe. Good luck to her in her new venture.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:05 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Likely it is downtown, right on the green or at least near it. Great area. Safe with a lot going on and a lot of shops and restaurants. Even near Wooster Square is nice. You need to narrow down the address. Like retiree2011 says Chapel is a long street. Jay

Old 06-02-2014, 12:09 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I'm guessing it's downtown west of 91, and that area is perfectly safe. Lots of great places for lunch too.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
She will likely be somewhere between College and Howe. If that's the case, and her office is -on- Chapel Street, she should be fine. Past Howe it starts getting a bit sketchy, and a few blocks further is downright creepy at night (but rarely creepy during the day). Past College in the other direction is the New Haven Green, the government buildings, and then Orange and State Streets. Those are mostly OK during the day, a little iffy at night but nothing you'd actually consider "bad."

Chapel Street is a bustling thoroughfare with tons of buildings that have shops on the first floor and office suites and some apartments on the upper floors. The side streets between College and Howe contain a lot of Yale housing, both private and school-owned. Other than the usual "homeless" (not all of them are, but they all claim to be) looking for a handout, and the random odd sincerely crazy person (you'll see at least a few of those in EVERY city), it's mostly students and local business folks, and shoppers looking to spend money and enjoy lunch.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Awesome! Thanks for all of the responses and info!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I agree with Jay. It is probably around the green and if so, then it is perfectly fine and very busy between Yale, all of the offices, city hall, etc. all being located right there.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:20 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with Jay. It is probably around the green and if so, then it is perfectly fine and very busy between Yale, all of the offices, city hall, etc. all being located right there.
And the best part it is not far from home. The commute will be a breeze compared to Westchester. Now if we can just find GMGuy a job in New Haven, they will be all set. Jay

Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And the best part it is not far from home. The commute will be a breeze compared to Westchester. Now if we can just find GMGuy a job in New Haven, they will be all set. Jay

Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times
As others have said, from 91 to roughly Dwight Street is perfectly safe. Chapel is a real nice street for the most part and arguably the main commercial thoroughfare for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: