Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,577 times

Advertisements

I've gotta agree that Wood N Tap makes a mean bison burger...their regular burgers are pretty darn good, too! Prime 16 is delish...but stick to the New Haven location. Orange is hit or miss. The Plan B in Milford is actually pretty killer, as is Max Burger, Louis, and Le Farm.

Stylo, I'm going to have to try the burger at Lake Zoar drive in...if I can. I've only ever had the dogs there (so good!), but I'm diagnosed Celiac now, so not sure I could even have anything there anymore.

Now, if you talk hot dogs to me...oh man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I love Plan B personally. I have not tried Prime 16 even though I am minutes away. Heard it was great.

Louis Lunch I heard was okay from my sister who works near there but not sure if will try it. I heard there is a huge line and a burger on white bread doesn't entice me much......but that's just my opinion......is it really worth trying? I see mixed reviews on Yelp about it.
I remember once as a kid my mother asked me if I wanted a burger for dinner. "yeah Mom, that sounds great". When I got to the kitchen and discovered it was on white bread I was like, "what the heck is that?!" To say I was disappointed, even as a "not picky" 10 year old, would be an understatement. The only reason I even paid for such a burger was because everyone at work wanted to try it. While we were all mildly satisfied for a quick lunch, I don't believe any of us have been back since (almost 2 years).

Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
I hate the "no ketchup" at LL...

My favorite burgers are from Five Guys . I heard Fuddruckers was good, but I need seen one here.
These are chains...geez why not patronize family-owned burger places? The Hidden Still in Ellington and there's an organic burger place in Enfield...

Norwalk area has a really good burger stand that is very well grilled and charcoal flavor

It is a shame to favor mass produced burgers when local producers work so hard to add the best farm-fresh stuff and satuteed and grille from a CT product. Five guys is a mad chain ...it is multiplying and multiplying franchises like an epidemic.

Bad in so many ways:
1) Promotes a food corporate culture that gives less choice to hardworking people

2) downgrades the quality of produce available on demand

3) reduces control of Connecticut job hirers in exchange for out of state job makers
a. Allows fewer more power-hungry and out of reach individuals to make decisions over what happens in and around where you live. What is it about the chains? A few bucks cheaper? You realize why it's cheaper...because the employees are treated as pawns and the cows are given less free range space, and the less of good is done to get your dough and since it's cheaper they have a shoe-in

b. Decreases connectivity between what is good for the CT environment and what goods and service modifications are made

c. Paralyzes that ability for a new business grower around town to improve CT's economy by differentiating it from the corporate trend everywhere else

d. Time lost in research and development of improving local ideas in culinary art....that can never be regained in a competitive market

By Bowing down to the gods of Burger King and Five Guys like monarchs

When you pay $6 for a family-owned burger instead of $4.90 for a chain one, you are doing a lot more than sacrificing $1.10. You are giving $4.90 less towards something bad, and $6.00 more to something good.
That means your decision that to you is a $1.10 sacrifice

Is making the good guys $6.00 + $4.90 = $10.90 of wealth better off than if you went with the $4.90. Not buying the five guys and skipping getting a burger would make the good guys $4.90 better off by stopping the bad guys with $4.90 less to buy their bad supply. The then on top doing the $6.00 you add that to the $4.90.

So by sacrificing $1.10 you create a magnitude $10.90/$1.10 = about 10 fold of goodness

Last edited by EricS39; 06-06-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
These are chains...geez why not patronize family-owned burger places? The Hidden Still in Ellington and there's an organic burger place in Enfield...

Norwalk area has a really good burger stand that is very well grilled and charcoal flavor

It is a shame to favor mass produced burgers when local producers work so hard to add the best farm-fresh stuff and satuteed and grille from a CT product. Five guys is a mad chain ...it is multiplying and multiplying franchises like an epidemic.

Bad in so many ways:
1) Promotes a food corporate culture that gives less choice to hardworking people

3) reduces control of Connecticut job hirers in exchange for out of state job makers
a. Allows fewer more power-hungry and out of reach individuals to make decisions over what happens in and around where you live. What is it about the chains? A few bucks cheaper? You realize why it's cheaper...because the employees are treated as pawns and the cows are given less free range space, and the less of good is done to get your dough and since it's cheaper they have a shoe-in

b. Decreases connectivity between what is good for the CT environment and what goods and service modifications are made

c. Paralyzes that ability for a new business grower around town to improve CT's economy by differentiating it from the corporate trend everywhere else

d. Time lost in research and development of improving local ideas in culinary art....that can never be regained in a competitive market

When you pay $6 for a family-owned burger instead of $4.90 for a chain one, you are doing a lot more than sacrificing $1.10. You are giving $4.90 less towards something bad, and $6.00 more to something good.

Is making the good guys $6.00 + $4.90 = $10.90 of wealth better off than if you went with the $4.90. Not buying the five guys and skipping getting a burger would make the good guys $4.90 better off by stopping the bad guys with $4.90 less to buy their bad supply. The then on top doing the $6.00 you add that to the $4.90.

So by sacrificing $1.10 you create a magnitude $10.90/$1.10 = about 10 fold of goodness
I agree with most of this. The only changes I would make would be to not put Burger King and 5 Guys in the same sentence yet. 5 guys is growing, and growing fast (which is ultimately the purpose of a business), but their food, IMO, is still delicious and appears to be the same quality as when I first tried it 8 years ago.

Sometimes you just want something quick, greasy and delicious and 5 Guys is at the top of that food chain (pun) IMO.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Best Burgers in CT...the ones on the grill in my backyard. Plus a nice Coors Light in hand that is what I call living.

Can't beat those especially this time of the year.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 PM

627 posts, read 1,058,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I agree with most of this. The only changes I would make would be to not put Burger King and 5 Guys in the same sentence yet. 5 guys is growing, and growing fast (which is ultimately the purpose of a business), but their food, IMO, is still delicious and appears to be the same quality as when I first tried it 8 years ago.

Sometimes you just want something quick, greasy and delicious and 5 Guys is at the top of that food chain (pun) IMO.
I would agree. I don't see any real difference between the Five Guys down the street in Middletown, and the one I visited a long time ago when they were only in the D.C. area. Food's the same, decor is the same, even the newspaper articles on the wall are the same.

And yeah, Burger King and Five Guys aren't even considered the same type of restaurant. Burger Kind is "fast food" and Five Guys is "fast casual". Fast casual is stuff like Panera and Chipotle.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I've had both Louis Lunch and Ted's, and my dad had a burger at Wood -n- Tap. Dad was practically orgasmic about his bacon cheeseburger.

Louis Lunch is the *original* hamburger sandwich. Whatever you're eating now, descends from that one burger shack. I really liked it, with just the cheese whiz. At Ted's, I like it with cheese and sauteed mushrooms. When they started making fries instead of just the hash browns, I fell in love with the fries. Really awesome, just makes sure to tell them to go light on the salt.

LL and Ted's to me really are the best I've had in the state. Louis because it's simple and you're tasting the meat instead of a bun. Ted's because the combination of a steamed burger + steamed molten-lava cheese + sauteed mushrooms is just such a delectable combination.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
never built up a fave burger place list like i have with Chinese and Pizza places. that may be because i prefer hot dogs (Nathans is my fave store brand) over burgers but even then, don't eat dogs that much either.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 PM

267 posts, read 448,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
never built up a fave burger place list like i have with Chinese and Pizza places. that may be because i prefer hot dogs (Nathans is my fave store brand) over burgers but even then, don't eat dogs that much either.
Hummels>>>>every other dog

Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 PM

91 posts, read 125,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

Bad in so many ways:

The question was about the best burger in Connecticut. If Five Guys makes the Best Burger, I think it should be recognized and patronized, regardless of whether or not it's a chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut