Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
None of those are in Connecticut. So what do you think Connecticut burger joints should do, to improve their placement on the list (since this is the Connecticut forum, and not the food forum)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
For what it's worth, there's a great burger shack in New Fairfield. I realize NF is a town most don't visit, but if you ever happen to be there, it's worth a stop. It's called Old Route 37 Patio & Grill and is on Route 37 just north of the center of town (left hand side, and across the street from Starbucks). It's a bright red cottage-type building w/ white fencing around it -- you can't miss it.

Their burgers are really good: grass-fed from Josef Meiller Farm in the Hudson Valley, a farm that was apparently just recently recognized as being one of the best grass-fed producers in the region. Aside from burgers, other menu items include hot dogs, lobster rolls, chicken sandwiches, that sort of thing. Their fries are baked, not fried, and are very good. I highly recommend their regular fries. They have sweet potatoe too, but they're just OK.

If you do visit, you need to do it on a nice day -- seating is limited to an outdoor patio/picnic tables.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:35 PM

133 posts, read 192,357 times
Someone has mentioned this already, but I'll second it: Prime 16 in New Haven. Their Cowboy Burger is one of the best I've had. Not to mention, they have a great beer selection. It's always a must visit place for me when I'm in Connecticut.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:46 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Some places that haven't been mentioned yet.

Harry's drive in - Colchester - outside seating only

Chef's Doghouse - Newington - Toppings bar has great variety

Shady Glen - Manchester - Go to the Parkade location there's never a wait there. I wasn't impressed with the beef, but the burger is unique and worth trying once.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:38 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I finally went to Five Guys to taste their burgers.

Waste of money.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Some places that haven't been mentioned yet.

Harry's drive in - Colchester - outside seating only

Chef's Doghouse - Newington - Toppings bar has great variety

Shady Glen - Manchester - Go to the Parkade location there's never a wait there. I wasn't impressed with the beef, but the burger is unique and worth trying once.
I agree with Harry's and Shady Glen ( never been to Chef's - where in Newington is it?). Harry's is just an old fashioned hamburger stand. Shady Glen is old fashioned too, like the original Friendly's but they have an awesome way of making their cheeseburgers. The cheese on it is oversized, oversized and crispy. It really is unique. Jay

Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I love the crazy cheese on Shady Glen's cheeseburger but the burger itself? It tastes like a cheap pre-formed patties you'd buy from Stop and Shop. I find the melted cheese (with wings!) to be fantastic, the burger not so much.

Damn. I really want a burger after reading through this thread.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I love the crazy cheese on Shady Glen's cheeseburger but the burger itself? It tastes like a cheap pre-formed patties you'd buy from Stop and Shop. I find the melted cheese (with wings!) to be fantastic, the burger not so much.

Damn. I really want a burger after reading through this thread.
The beefg used for the burgers at Shady Glen is the same as you get in many more upscale restaurants. Many use the same supplier. The difference is how it is cooked, flat grill verse flame grill. The quality is still the same. Jay

Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with Harry's and Shady Glen ( never been to Chef's - where in Newington is it?). Harry's is just an old fashioned hamburger stand. Shady Glen is old fashioned too, like the original Friendly's but they have an awesome way of making their cheeseburgers. The cheese on it is oversized, oversized and crispy. It really is unique. Jay

JAY,

Chef's doghouse is on Willard ave in the 7-11 plaza in Newington. Depending on which direction your driving you may not see it because they are kinda in the back, altho they do have a sign out front.

I think Chef's is more known for hotdogs, but I've only eaten burgers there so far and they are great. They have a lot of condiments some of which I've never seen before. The owner is an former executive chef who worked in many restaurants in the Hartford area for about 25 yrs.

Another thing I can add to the burger debate is a great burger starts with great meat. I worked in numerous restaurants in the Hartford area (altho I no longer work in the business) and I can say that nearly all the restaurants I worked in bought there burgers from Bogner's in Manchester. I see someone mentioned Bogner's on the supermarket thread.

I don't think Shady Glen is using quality meat. With their reputation and revenue I would imagine they could afford to buy from Bogner's especially considering they are in the same town. I still think Shady Glen makes a good burger with that crazy cheese, but it could be better.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
JAY,

Chef's doghouse is on Willard ave in the 7-11 plaza in Newington. Depending on which direction your driving you may not see it because they are kinda in the back, altho they do have a sign out front.

I think Chef's is more known for hotdogs, but I've only eaten burgers there so far and they are great. They have a lot of condiments some of which I've never seen before. The owner is an former executive chef who worked in many restaurants in the Hartford area for about 25 yrs.

Another thing I can add to the burger debate is a great burger starts with great meat. I worked in numerous restaurants in the Hartford area (altho I no longer work in the business) and I can say that nearly all the restaurants I worked in bought there burgers from Bogner's in Manchester. I see someone mentioned Bogner's on the supermarket thread.

I don't think Shady Glen is using quality meat. With their reputation and revenue I would imagine they could afford to buy from Bogner's especially considering they are in the same town. I still think Shady Glen makes a good burger with that crazy cheese, but it could be better.
Actually Shady Glen does buy their meat from Bogner's so it is the same as used in other restaurants. I know this because someone I know is related to the owners of Bogner's and they told them this. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut