Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times

Advertisements

The average Mcdonalds employee would have to work 2 months to make what Mr. Thompson makes in just one hour which is estimated at about 3,290 dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 05:41 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,518 times
Top CEOs make 331 times the average worker.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM

I don't see a very good future for are young folks. Back in my day we did it the old Skool way, you graduated high school, served a few years in the service, pursued apprenticeships, transitioned your skills into the civilian sector, bought a nice little house in the country, and started a family. You became successful by working hard and not being afraid to fail. Entrepreneurship, patriotism, taking pride in what you do. You built your success from the ground up.

In today's world however, our brained washed youth believes college is the answer to everything, graduate with no job, owe 65k to the University of ********* Over, and I'm not exactly sure how many Subaru driving, Whole Foods shopping yuppies a single country actually needs, but I think America is reaching it's limit.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Then there's a whole other side to this that isn't even being looked at.

If I can get $15/hour flipping burgers, why in hell would I even TRY to get an office job that requires actual skills other than customer service, the ability to count change, but pays the same? A typical office job around here only pays $15/hour. Part-time receptionists get little more than $12/hour, but of course if minimum wage went up, they'd have to get $15. Thing is though, they're currently getting more than the current minimum wage. Getting a $3 raise above and beyond what they're already getting, would result in a step DOWN - because they'd now be paid on par with the burger flipper.

So the boss would either have to increase the office worker's salary proportionately - or the employee would have to "settle" for minimum wage - which would be $3/hour more than they were getting, when they were getting paid $4/hour more than the burger flipper before the rates went up.

If you raise the minimum wage to more than what most lower-level non-management somewhat-skilled but not professional career jobs are getting, then you're going to end up with a whole lot of pissed off employees demanding that THEY get more too. A phlebotomist gets $14/hour now, and they require certification. How much is your bloodwork worth to you all? How much more can you complain about medical costs, if you raise minimum wage for burger flippers to more than a skilled certified medical worker is getting?

And we haven't even started thinking about unions - can you imagine what the Teamsters will say, when their Phone Company human resource office personnel are suddenly being paid only 2% more than their part time janitor? If I were a fly on the wall during those negotiations, I'd be pretty happy when the "stuff" started hitting the fan.

Raising minimum wages always comes with downfalls. Raising it several dollars more than non-entry-level employees are getting, can only result in a nightmare.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 PM

I haven't made minimum wage since high school. Went to college for 2 years and was bored to death with it. Of course when I was giving it the old college try, it didn't cost 40,000 a year to go.

Last year the wife and I bought in over 100k, and I'm not bragging, I'm going to make a point.

She is college, deans list honor grad, I'm prior service military with industry and vocation training and certification.
Through out my career I've made more in a week then she has, a honors college grad. Not picking on my wife nor bragging, again I'm going to make a point.

My point: the first job I ever had was McDonald's. The greatest mentor I ever had was a McDonald's store manager who believed in me and realized my potential. He showed me every aspect of the business, I worked every position that place had, led a team, and worked like no tomorrow.

Because of this man, I succeeded in the military, in the civilian sector, live in a beautiful part of America, and this June will celebrate 21 years of marriage.

I did all this without hand out or college degree. I started at 4.25 an hour and today earn 26.50 an hour as a skilled imports technician in the automotive industry. I learned about European cars while being stationed in Germany.

guten tag meine freund.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpZGdMaCMAIPf-v.jpg

Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I agree that fast food workers really aren't deserving of $15 an hour, it's an entry level job. I've worked in fast food, there really isn't much more needed than a pulse. However I don't see it as kids looking for easy money, at my local McDonald's for instance you don't see teens working there, I think it's mostly adults from Bridgeport that take the bus into town. These days, you really need a bachelor's degree at minimum to get a decent full-time job with benefits. Years ago I had a successful, well-paying job without a degree, but times have changed. You're not likely to even get a foot in the door without it. I think of fast food as a job for people who are furthering their education and working towards a better career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
to go.

Last year the wife and I bought in over 100k, and I'm not bragging, I'm going to make a point.
Sadly, in many parts of Ct. that is not a lot of money for two people, it's just average. The cost of living is out of control.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:54 AM

713 posts, read 760,276 times
I called it, once they passed the $10.X hour wage, it would be just be a matter of time they ask for $15. LOL, I didn't think it would come this quick.

Same excuse from the Left-tards, we need a living wage, the CEO is making X amount, It's not so easy to learn something to make more money... etc. Blah, Blah, Blah.

They simply refused to accept what a minimum wage is and how it's supposed to be set. All they care about it's their own agenda even though it doesn't make sense.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:42 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
That's what your average mcdonalds owner of a franchise makes if he just owns a few restaurants.
I was curious about the numbers, and found some figures online. Found a couple of sites and the numbers were similar.

The average profit from a Mcdonalds franchise is 10% of sales, which means profit per restaurant would average about $200K (but it varies around that average). You'd need more than a few of them to make millions.

Cost side: building a new mcdonalds costs the owner $1 to $2 million. The price of an existing restaurant would be based on its individual cash flow, I suspect.

To collect all the profit for yourself, you would have had to have the upfront money in cash. So first become a millionaire, then you go into the mcdonalds business.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:34 PM

I think for us older folks who have been in the work force for many many years, already went through our apprenticeships, colleges, or military training, will probably be fine, I only have 22 years left and then I can retire. I also think that those of us who chose something in a technical or mechanical type field will probably be ok. Nobody is going to ship their Volkswagen to Germany for a brake service or oil change.

Education is important, no doubt about it, but education doesn't alwAys mean college, it can also come in the form of military training, apprenticeships, vocational colleges, and of course the universities and campuses across America.

I do not think college should cost what it does cause the student loan debt, which is in the billions of dollars, is killing any financial future are young folks have.

It is a damn shame that in America any young person with the talent and desire to take on 4 years of college has to go into mortgage size debt to do it. Even if they settled for a fast food job until the job market improved, they would never make enough to payback what they owe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut