Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I don't get it either. Then I see Sigequinox's other post ranting about collecting government checks. What does that have to do with this thread? Is my reading comprehension shot? I feel like I missed something here.

I would love some lobster mac and cheese and Patron (Silver, preferably), for the record.
It's a rank of "worst place to earn a living". Since part of earning that living is diverted to people who do nothing for a living, I see it as being relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
It's a rank of "worst place to earn a living". Since part of earning that living is diverted to people who do nothing for a living, I see it as being relevant.
And anecdotal evidence differs in what way from state to state? Because thats all that was, nothing of any kind of actual contribution. Just like those "homeboys" you rant of.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Mostly the topography and closeness to east coast cities like Boston, NYC, DC, Phila etc. Somewhat the seasons. Although if I had the influence I would make winter closer to 45 days long instead of the 3 1/2 months it FEELS like to me. I can travel anytime I want for work though so if winter really seems to drag I can get some warmer climate anytime I want.

The only weather/topography that I enjoy but cannot get here is the desert. Thats why I go for bike rides allover Baja during the winter as well.

COL, I have never understood so many peoples issue. Whether it was here in CT or other "keeping up with the Jones" areas Ive lived in like south Florida or Southern Cali. Control your spending!

The ONLY place in CT that would ever seem to have an affect for me would be lower FC. I do not want to work in NYC and have no desire to live in such an area so thats not an issue for me though either. I can and have found plenty of quality homes in all the places Ive lived including CT for $250k and less, EXCEPT southern and mid coastal Cali. And I had no problem finding reasonable rentals in those parts of Cali during my time there either.
From your post I deduce that you are very well off financially. If I had the resources to just hop on off to warmer climates anytime, then the cost of maintaining a lifestyle in CT wouldn't be an issue. In order to avoid having to pinch the pennies until they scream, we are moving to have breathing space in the budget and actually feel comfortably warm for most of the year.
The negatives of CT in retirement outweigh the positives for us.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Umm yeah.. got it now. I also am wondering what this welfare fraud rant has to do with THIS thread though...

And as far as CT COL living, as I stated earlier, since living on my own and putting myself through school since I was 18 YO I have never had a problem with COL in Ct compared to living in 5 other states and traveling 49 of them. The only place in CT that it is MUCH different is lower FFC. If you choose to live there without taking advantage of the higher pay avaliable in the area, well then thats your own fault. Less time whining and crying and a lil more time actually working might help with that as well.
There is a difference between higher salary and higher commission because of selling overpriced product. There is also a difference between making more money and wasting less money.

I'm glad you like CT so much. There will be mutual happiness when I leave.

I put myself through college too?

Last edited by Sigequinox; 06-10-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
And anecdotal evidence differs in what way from state to state? Because thats all that was, nothing of any kind of actual contribution. Just like those "homeboys" you rant of.
Anecdotal evidence? Do you know what that means? I'm not going to do your homework for you. You can go look up how every single congressman at both the federal and state level voted on any bill that crossed their desk. You can also see where any given politician stands philosophically by visiting their website.

lol at part II. Hold on a sec, I'm gonna go make 8 illegitimate children and see if my EBT card came in....

Old 06-10-2014, 03:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I root for the northeast, even though Virginia is called home now, I was born and raised in Putnam NY. 15 minutes from Danbury, I loved Marcus Diary, fun place.

Sadly the tax burdens up there are driving many out. It makes no sense to me for citizens to have to pay so much in taxes that they're pushed to point of just getting by.

If you're making 75k a year annually and you have to worry about every penny, the state needs to reconsider it's policies.

Almost anywhere else in America 55-100k a year salaries are decent,livable, professional wages, except in the northeast.
We make less than 75K annually, and we don't worry about every penny. We are homeowners with a mortgage, two cars, in a typical middle-class suburban neighborhood in New Haven county. I see a lot of hyperbole and noise about how horrible CT is to live in and how everyone is leaving in droves.

Here's a hint on why: the baby boomers have started hitting retirement age. It's pretty common for people who retire to move out of Connecticut, and head south for their retirement years. There are a LOT more retiring people now, than there were 20 and even 10 years ago.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think you just answered your own question. Add in being near the greatest city in the world and still being close to mountains and beaches and you have the reason most people are willing to pay a premium to live here. Jay
The premium that people are paying is not necessarily because CT is a desirable place to live. I think it's more of because generations of families stay in CT and are afraid of leaving their comfort zone. With limited space and housing stock (supply), the prices remain high. I mean, almost my entire family lives in Hartford County still, since the 1950's. Only a few family members now live in FL and NM.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I make $75K + $15K bonus for a total of $90K, which is slightly higher than the median income in FFC. I'm not struggling, and I have the ability to save plenty of money no problem. However, the problem is if I want to purchase a home in this area, it's going to take about 6 more years of saving cash for a down payment. I'm not willing to commute more than 30 minutes (assuming no traffic) either.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Stress is just part of the job. I really like my job but it is very stressful (highway/bridge construction) and I've seen more than one guy drop of heart attacks in the field. We work 24hrs a day ( day and night crews) so there really is not a lot of down time.

No matter what county/state/country it's stressful.

I wish they gave reasons why we rank so high.
Here's another link and it breaks down the 'why' of it.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

According to a recent Gallup Poll on all 50 states, for Connecticut the top three reasons for planning to move were work and business related, family & friends, & cost of living.

Illinois is number one and Connecticut is number 2.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
I got a question. Say somebody missed living up north and wanted to move back. Just in a fictional scenario lets say they found a house with an out the door price tag of 2200 a month, with the taxes thrown in and everything.

Now let's say that a husband and wife team clears after taxes, combined 1750 a week.

To meet your monthly house payment every time you got paid, 550 dollars would automatically have to come out to go towards the monthly mortgage.

So that leaves 1200 left a week for gas, grocery, utility, leisure, so on and so forth.

Now let's also say the husband is this scenario is a certified master mechanic who does not buy brand spanking new cars cause he knows how to fix them. How much does that save a month?

Finally, let's say this couples children are 18 and 21 years of age, working part time while in school. How much do you think that saves a month?

Based on this fictional scenario, what is your opinion on how this couple would fare in Connecticut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut