Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

West Avenue developer submits revised plan for The Berkeley - The Hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 09:11 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Parking, trolley details emerge from GGP officials - The Hour

Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I know where the Waypointe building is being built but that is not what I am seeing. Guess what. I did a little investigating. The area that I would walk around in near the library and was not so great is the area I am seeing the buildings going up in a distance. Here is what is going there.

$46M Mixed-Use Development on Wall St in Norwalk is Underway | Greenwich Free Press

Now I understand. I was going in to that area in 2013-2014. I am sure all rental activity stopped in anticipation of the new development. That is why I got the sense that area was desolate and not safe because it was desolate. I am sure buildings were not being leased out if they were coming down.

As I see the buildings being finished I am going to drive through the area once in a while to see the activity and then go south on West Ave. to the new mall site. I bet once all the apartments and other commercial buildings are finished on West Avenue and Wall Street that area will become vibrant and I will get a different perspective of the area.
As a SINGLE WOMAN who lives IN the Waypointe (and has since 2014, when it was all still construction) I have never felt unsafe-I too have the disposable income to spend in this new mall (I live in, alone, in the largest one bedroom apartment that the Waypointe offers.) I run all over Norwalk--literally, half marathon running training--and feel safe. I walk over to Banc House (which is past the library) and Peaches on Wall, in one direction, and walk down to SoNo in the other. Granted, I'm not doing that at midnight, but NO ONE I know walks alone by themselves anywhere at midnight any more. That's what Uber is for.

I know many, many people of all different ages who frequent this area and are very excited about the changes. While I respect your opinion of not feeling safe, you are definitely in the minority from everyone I have spoken with, regarding this area.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
As a SINGLE WOMAN who lives IN the Waypointe (and has since 2014, when it was all still construction) I have never felt unsafe-I too have the disposable income to spend in this new mall (I live in, alone, in the largest one bedroom apartment that the Waypointe offers.) I run all over Norwalk--literally, half marathon running training--and feel safe. I walk over to Banc House (which is past the library) and Peaches on Wall, in one direction, and walk down to SoNo in the other. Granted, I'm not doing that at midnight, but NO ONE I know walks alone by themselves anywhere at midnight any more. That's what Uber is for.

I know many, many people of all different ages who frequent this area and are very excited about the changes. While I respect your opinion of not feeling safe, you are definitely in the minority from everyone I have spoken with, regarding this area.
In the extensive amount of years I've spent in the area in question (West Ave/Library and Sono) and region overall - I personally don't know any single white females (and I've known quite a few in the day) that have been victims of any sort of street crime there or anywhere else in the region. I also don't recall any news or headlines of single (or married for that matter) females victimized by street crime whether it be 20 years ago or present, maybe I missed them.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:45 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I'm willing to say that most of the women that are victims of crime in the Stamford-Norwalk areas know their agressors for years, mostly because they live with them. Other than that, not much to worry.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:22 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
In the extensive amount of years I've spent in the area in question (West Ave/Library and Sono) and region overall - I personally don't know any single white females (and I've known quite a few in the day) that have been victims of any sort of street crime there or anywhere else in the region. I also don't recall any news or headlines of single (or married for that matter) females victimized by street crime whether it be 20 years ago or present, maybe I missed them.
Nope, I'm with you 100%. This is a great area for this mall and it's going to do well! I'm happy I'll be able to walk there!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
I bet none of the people posting on here was in the EXACT spot I was parking in near the library.

I was in Norwalk on East Avenue today. I can see those apartments going up. So I took a ride to see where they are. Here is the thing. When I was going to the library I had to park in a lot down the street that was behind the buildings on Wall Street. The buildings where essentially vacant as was the rest of the block. This parking lot was surrounded by a bunch of empty buildings. I can assure you I witnessed drug dealing going on (people of all colors) and trust me THAT IMMEDIATE AREA was not good at all. Of course the buildings would be vacant as possible renters knew there was going to be a massive project there.

Now I know why. That entire block where I was parking is where they are now building what appears to be a massive apartment or condo complex a few blocks away there is also another very big apartment or condo complexes going in. What do you think happens to an area when there are virtually NO STORES and NO FOOT TRAFFIC in an area like I witnessed.

NOW I am sure that area will turn around on a dime once the apartment/condo buildings (and business on the street level?) go in. I assume there will be businesses on the street level which will dramatically increase the foot traffic in the exact area I was in.

BTW, I am part Spanish and I look more Latino/Spanish than white. There is not a week in my life that someone hasn't come up to me and started to speak Spanish. I take umbrage to the people who assume that I am an "old white racist lady" because that is far from who I am. This is about safety and perception of safety.

Was there anyone else parking in that lot on Wall Street on a weekly basis and walking in that area. And I don't mean a few times a year. I mean in that exact parking lot on a weekly basis to see what was going on there.

Last edited by CTartist; 07-07-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm willing to say that most of the women that are victims of crime in the Stamford-Norwalk areas know their agressors for years, mostly because they live with them. Other than that, not much to worry.
Go take look at the rape, robbery, assault and theft statistics right on City Data for those cities and tell me if you think that is all done by husbands or significant others on their wife's and girlfriends. I don't think so.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I bet none of the people posting on here was in the EXACT spot I was parking in near the library.
Oh you mean near the Eagle's Aerie there? Nopes, never been there.

It's a little old... but not that bad, and certainly not too dangerous for walkers by. Most of the issue is that the properties were sold, and development stalled while POKO secured financing and permits for building what they wanted. Once the development goes up and people start living in the historic Downtown street activity will go up and be safer.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
. Once the development goes up and people start living in the historic Downtown street activity will go up and be safer.
That is my point. None of it is finished yet and the people, apartments/condos and businesses where not there when I was in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut