Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:48 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

I personally like the mixed use project, but whatever they built there will be better than what currently is there. By the way, about a couple of weeks ago I passed by the area and noticed that a new fence was put in place. Seems that they are beginning to prepare the land for construction, but I'm not too sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:00 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
GGP expand mall proposal to 1.1M square feet with hotel and NCC satellite campus

NORWALK -- The proposed regional shopping center for the 95/7 site in South Norwalk has grown to 1.1 million square feet of retail, restaurant, hotel, public, cultural and educational space. "It's a place for public gathering, for community gathering, for performing arts, for an educational use … by Norwalk Community College," said Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., attorney representing developer General Growth Properties (GGP). And "there is a need for a hotel, not a full-service hotel, but certainly an upscale, boutique, limited service hotel."
On Wednesday evening, representatives of the Chicago--based mall developer presented their new conceptual master site plan for the dozen-acre development site off West Avenue and Interstate 95 to members of the Norwalk Redevelopment Commission and Common Council's Planning Committee.
In June, GGP presented plans for 700,000 square foot of largely retail development.
The modified plan, which stems from community input, proposes 780,000 square feet of retail/restaurants space, 180,000 square feet of indoor public space, 5,000 square feet of educational space, a 150-room hotel and 2 to 4 percent of total square footage reserved for public and cultural uses.
By year's end, GGP plans to formally request a modification to the existing Land Disposition Agreement (LDA) for the site, which allows 601,000 square feet of office space, 125,000 square feet of retail/restaurants, 250 apartments and a 145-room hotel. A large parking garage, primary access along North Water Street, a circulator trolley and bike/pedestrian trail improvements are also part of the conceptual plan.
Councilman Bruce I. Kimmel described the proposed shift in usage as the "big issue" that must be addressed immediately.
"Do we agree on the shift in land use, to move over toward the retail?" Kimmel said. "If we can't agree on that, we're really just spinning our wheels and wasting a lot of time."
Attorney William J. Hennessey, representing GGP, described office development as envisioned for the site in 2007 as unfeasible and "the residential market as nearing capacity." By contrast, he said, demand exceeds supply for retail.
Councilman Douglas E. Hempstead, Planning Committee chairman, indicated that the plan might require a new LDA rather than a modification to the existing agreement.
"This is a whale you put in the room and you can only eat the whale one bite at a time," Hempstead said.
Other committee members' comments and questions focused on traffic, design elements, the feasibility of a hotel and the nature of the retail and restaurants within the proposed development.
GGP Senior Director Douglas T. Adams said the retail anchors would be of an upscale nature -- "we strive for best of class, we strive for new-to-market retailers" -- whereas restaurants would be of a national, chain character.
More than 50 people attended the informal presentation, which was held in the Board of Education room at City Hall.
"I think they've redesigned (the mall) with consideration of what people have been talking about," Mayor Harry W. Rilling said afterward. "It's a project that now has to be put before the proper bodies to determine if that's what we'd like to see. I'm impressed with what they've done."
GGP has set an aggressive timetable for the estimated $285 million development with approvals completed by January 2016 followed by 30 months of construction and an opening in mid-2018.
The development would generate $941 million in spending, $4.7 million in city permit fees, $34 million in state sales and incomes taxes, and 5,545 of largely local construction jobs. Eventually, it would bring Norwalk $4.7 million in annual property taxes and 2,485 full-time jobs, according to GGP.
Hempstead and Redevelopment Commission Felix R. Serrano vowed to make their best efforts to expedite review of the plan.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:51 PM

NORWALK -- Review of General Growth Properties, Inc.'s plan for a regional shopping center on the 95/7 site off West Avenue will take shape Monday evening during a joint meeting of the Norwalk Redevelopment Agency and Common Council's Planning Committee.
Councilman Douglas E. Hempstead, Planning Committee chairman, said each committee will form an ad-hoc work group to expedite review of the plan, and hopefully reach a consensus within three months.
"It's more of a work group to start putting together questions, asking for materials and we'll be reporting back to the regular committees," Hempstead said. "It's trying to expedite the request for the LDA amendment and we're hoping to get our work done in 60 to 90 days."
Felix R. Serrano, Redevelopment Agency chairman, said the scope and timeframe are being worked out.
Hempstead anticipates the ad-hoc work groups will meet four to six times.
"Sometime in March, I think we'll have at least a direction in which we're heading," Hempstead said.
To move forward with the mall plan, General Growth Properties affiliate Norwalk Land Development, LLC, Redevelopment Agency needs an amendment to the existing Land Disposition Agreement (LDA) governing uses of the dozen-acre site off West Avenue and Interstate 95.
General Growth Properties (GGP), a Chicago-based mall developer, is seeking approval to build 500,000 to 975,000 square feet of retail including public space/common area, an 80,000-to-175,000 square foot hotel, zero to 175,000 square feet of office space, and 2,500 to 7,500 square feet of educational space.

"GGP has proposed a plan that provides a critical mass of retail (along with substantial public areas, integrated hotel, and dedicated education space) that will not only result in a successful project, but importantly will also connect existing SoNo and West Avenue areas to create a vibrant, mixed-use district," said Douglas T. Adams, GGP senior director.
In November, GGP representatives presented their new conceptual master site plan for the estimated $285 million development to both committees, and expressed a desire to obtain all necessary approvals by the end of 2015 in order to begin construction by January 2016.
"We hope that by working together the Planning Committee and Redevelopment Agency will move rapidly towards that important goal," Adams said. "For the review process, we have committed to responding quickly to provide any information requested by either body to ensure a timely approval of our proposed development."

In advance of Monday's meeting, GGP has submitted to the city fresh images of the conceptual master site plan.
General Growth Properties purchased the 95/7 property from South Norwalk-based developer Spinnaker Real Estate Partners, LLC, in November 2013 for $26 million.
The existing LDA, as negotiated with Spinnaker in 2008, allows a mix of offices, retail, apartments and a hotel.
Over the years, the 95/7 site has been subject to three Land Disposition Agreements negotiated between the city, Redevelopment Agency and owners of the property.
A 2001 Land Disposition Agreement between the city, Redevelopment Agency and developer French Norwalk, LLC, called for 1.1 million square feet of offices.
Hempstead, while hoping to expedite review of the GGP plan, indicated that no short cuts will be taken.
"It's a major site and we want to make sure, overall, it's the right thing for the city," Hempstead said. "The tax revenues, we certainly can use them, but we want to make sure the development works for the community in South Norwalk and the rest of the city."

Old 01-06-2015, 04:56 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Monday as in yesterday or Monday next week? If it was yesterday, anyone know what was decided/approved/delayed?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Monday as in yesterday or Monday next week? If it was yesterday, anyone know what was decided/approved/delayed?

Final approved by March and construction by fall

Old 01-06-2015, 11:13 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
"GGP has proposed a plan that provides a critical mass of retail (along with substantial public areas, integrated hotel, and dedicated education space) that will not only result in a successful project, but importantly will also connect existing SoNo and West Avenue areas to create a vibrant, mixed-use district,"
Hilarious. A mall in that area will suck West Ave and SoNo dry.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Hilarious. A mall in that area will suck West Ave and SoNo dry.
Yup. And Again, I come back to this; is life really that hard that we are struggling to find places to shop to feed and clothe and entertain ourselves???? I mean WTF. Whether it's the masses that let these things happen or the idiots who take advantage of the masses for $$$, it's beyond my thinking why we need to keep developing an area already developed and run down local businesses so we have vacant stores along the way and frustrated business owners. Not to mentioned the continued concrete structures going up

I know folks outside these developed areas are laughing and calling it disgusting.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup. And Again, I come back to this; is life really that hard that we are struggling to find places to shop to feed and clothe and entertain ourselves???? I mean WTF. Whether it's the masses that let these things happen or the idiots who take advantage of the masses for $$$, it's beyond my thinking why we need to keep developing an area already developed and run down local businesses so we have vacant stores along the way and frustrated business owners. Not to mentioned the continued concrete structures going up

I know folks outside these developed areas are laughing and calling it disgusting.
As I understand it, this will be very upscale and Fairfield County is in need of a good upscale shopping center. Stamford Town Center is okay but sort of middle of the road and Trumbull really is not that good, catering more to the middle and lower class. Danbury is also middle of the road and kind of far from lower Fairfield County. There is no truly upscale center to shop at in the area. People usually just go into Manhattan or down to Greenwich and Westchester for upscale shopping. Of course the tenant mix could change once the center is approved so who knows what will finally be built there. Still the city can't really dictate who the tenants will be. They just have to decide if the project fits into their plans for the city. Jay

Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 AM

GGP: Nordstrom commits to Norwalk shopping center project - Thehour.com: Norwalk

Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 AM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Nordstrom will really be an epic draw especially when they run their sales. The Nordstrom in Westchester is always packed when I go. I would think Sono will complement this place. Especially if they can create a way to go between the two areas that is quick and safe, maybe a shuttle or trolley service. Should also draw the aquarium in to participate in "events" and make the place a destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut