Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
One comment..

"Agree with previous comments. At best, “Collection” sounds like a small high-end clothing line. “Marketplace” would be lovely with little shops, tree-lined walkways, outdoor cafes – I’d go there. But this thing is going to be a massive concrete fortress, like a factory farm for shoppers. "

Disgusting.

I'd rather see a huge outlet shopping like Woodbury or Clinton. Would be a nice spot for it
Agreed. It's pretty much the worst possible use for that space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
One comment..

"Agree with previous comments. At best, “Collection” sounds like a small high-end clothing line. “Marketplace” would be lovely with little shops, tree-lined walkways, outdoor cafes – I’d go there. But this thing is going to be a massive concrete fortress, like a factory farm for shoppers. "

Disgusting.

I'd rather see a huge outlet shopping like Woodbury or Clinton. Would be a nice spot for it
Actually Fairfield County could use some upscale shopping. Given the affluence of the area, it is surprising it does not have a truly upscale shopping center like other areas. I originally thought Stamford Town Center was suppose to be like that but it really is just a standard middle-class mall with not of lot of upscale shopping options. This will be a good thing for Norwalk since it will bring a lot of people and money into the city. I think it would do well.

Also note that the outlet center you mention is going to be constructed in West Haven. From what I have seen it looks to be a waterfront village with a lot of nice outlet stores. We will see. Jay

Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
One comment..

Disgusting.

They already had a Sono "Marketplace" on Wilson Ave. near the ice rink, set back in the woods there. Apparently it didn't do so well, (not sure if they are bringing it back this summer) as I think people just prefer to go to Woodbury and Clinton for that type of stuff.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Back in the day, West Ave was the main downtown area in town. A revitalization is long overdue there. This new thing along with the Waypoint and getting rid of the Night Owl Cafe and it's frequent appearances in the police blotter are a good thing. Not sure why the negativity towards it. If it was New Haven or Hartford it would be praised beyond belief on here.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
Speaking of red lights.. do they ever readjust the light timing? I'm pretty sure I know which light you are talking about.. the lights headed towards the 95 N ramp? Unless you floor it you have to sit at the 2nd set of lights that are now red.

Don't get me started on lanes that get an arrow but no car is in the lanes.. what a huge waste of time..
Nope, never re-adjusted--I have to stop and go at every light in the morning. It's worse, actually. Some of the side roads right off West Ave don't even change--West Ave lights go red, side roads stay red, and two seconds later West Ave lights are green again.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:02 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually Fairfield County could use some upscale shopping.
Why's that? Are people suffering because there isn't any? We don't need it. Are people that bored during the day or weekends they need to shop? Are there not any other locations to do it in? Greenwich and Ridgefield come to mind with their upscale shopping strips. No Malls but there are Upscale shopping areas in Fairfield.

In fact, I'm curious to see results from an area that added "upscale shopping Malls". How about "The Westchester". Did White Plains blossom after that or were they already doing well? Or was it because of other factors?

I say grab a computer, click, & ship. Nobody has time to go shopping. lol

Quote:
it will bring a lot of people and money into the city. .
Wonderful. Just what the I-95 area needs.

Quote:
Also note that the outlet center you mention is going to be constructed in West Haven. From what I have seen it looks to be a waterfront village with a lot of nice outlet stores. We will see.
Sounds nice. I go to the outlets about 2-4 times a year.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Why's that? Are people suffering because there isn't any? We don't need it. Are people that bored during the day or weekends they need to shop? Are there not any other locations to do it in? Greenwich and Ridgefield come to mind with their upscale shopping strips. No Malls but there are Upscale shopping areas in Fairfield.

In fact, I'm curious to see results from an area that added "upscale shopping Malls". How about "The Westchester". Did White Plains blossom after that or were they already doing well? Or was it because of other factors?

I say grab a computer, click, & ship. Nobody has time to go shopping. lol

Wonderful. Just what the I-95 area needs.

Sounds nice. I go to the outlets about 2-4 times a year.
You are looking at this from your point-of-view. I do not shop at malls but that does not mean there should be no malls in the state. Right now people who want more upscale shopping go to White Plains or Manhattan. That means business and the associated taxes are going to New York. Why shouldn't that money stay in Connecticut. Greenwich and Fairfield do not have sites that could support a Nordstrom or Bloomingdales or really any large scale retail development.

And I know you think this is going to be ugly but it is not like what was previously proposed there (high-rise office, hotel, apartments, retail) were all that attractive to begin with. Lets face it, that site has been empty for years now and it is time something got built. Part of the site might be appropriate for housing but much of it near I-95 is not. Traffic will be an issue but hopefully they can figure that out. This is Norwalk which is a small city, not a "small village" like someone else here claimed. Some may not like it but this should be good for the region and the city. Jay

Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
I can just picture it. "Honey, do you want to go to Norwalk or Manhattan today?". That was a poor example. . there are upscale shopping which they go to in Fairfield. It won't be comparable to a day of shopping in NYC. And let's face it , any " upscale" shopper won't be coming from Norwalk so maybe its in the wrong spot.. That would go well in Ridgefield , Wilton, Danbury vicinity.

And once again I call BS on all that " good for city" talk. How is Westport doing without a Mall? How about all those other cities in CT?. Are they going bankrupt because they don't have one? Give me a break.. This isn't needed in an already congested area. How about providing oxygen to residents and create a park with trees & trails instead? Lol

I tell you, the mentality is so different in southern part of state. I was driving through these towns and villiages in northern Litchfield last Saturday and it just felt great. No office buildings, no malls, and the stores themselves looked like homes. Residents and city doing just fine. paying their taxes and living life. No need for these "concrete farms" there.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
SoNo Collection will be a big mall.Used to waste time and as a teenage hangout. Some high end stores might do ok, but it will be based on mark-up NOT volume. There is a LV store in West Farms and the 2 times I go a year I always see it closed.

The people that shop in NYC will continue to shop in NYC for the high end stuff. Sometimes its more about the journey than the destination. Don't expect for all that money spent on LV in NYC to come to Norwalk. Like Cam said ""Honey, do you want to go to Norwalk or Manhattan today?" most will take the latter.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I can just picture it. "Honey, do you want to go to Norwalk or Manhattan today?". That was a poor example. . there are upscale shopping which they go to in Fairfield. It won't be comparable to a day of shopping in NYC. And let's face it , any " upscale" shopper won't be coming from Norwalk so maybe its in the wrong spot.. That would go well in Ridgefield , Wilton, Danbury vicinity.

And once again I call BS on all that " good for city" talk. How is Westport doing without a Mall? How about all those other cities in CT?. Are they going bankrupt because they don't have one? Give me a break.. This isn't needed in an already congested area. How about providing oxygen to residents and create a park with trees & trails instead? Lol

I tell you, the mentality is so different in southern part of state. I was driving through these towns and villiages in northern Litchfield last Saturday and it just felt great. No office buildings, no malls, and the stores themselves looked like homes. Residents and city doing just fine. paying their taxes and living life. No need for these "concrete farms" there.
I think thousands of upscale shoppers who live in Darien, NC, Wilton, Westport, Pound Ridge, Vista, Rowayton, Silvermine, Cranbury, E Norwalk, Greenfield Hill, Southport, Redding, might like the close convenience of it. Agree though Westport and Greenwich do have their share of upscale shopping as well, though not sure where it is in Fairfield - The Loft and Victoria secrets I guess.
You solved your own issue of oxygen and trees by simply taking a drive to Litchfield last Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut