Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 PM

953 posts, read 582,456 times
I don't understand what's going on here.

Norwalk had the aquarium. Trumbull had the mall. (Fair enough)

Now, when malls are dying, (last time I was in Trumbull mall a few months ago [first time I'd even been to a mall in years] brought back 2000's vibes but half of the stores were gone) Norwalk is BUILDING one?

And Trumbull's solution is to build an AQUARIUM!? I love animals but this doesn't really make sense. They're totally infringing on each other's demographic... For example, living in FFLD, I'm just about 15 mins from both. Instead of having one logical option for each now I'll be torn between the two. Both will get less traffic than average, which is terrible for 1) an incredibly niche thing and 2) a dying trend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 11:31 AM

214 posts, read 145,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I don't understand what's going on here.

Norwalk had the aquarium. Trumbull had the mall. (Fair enough)

Now, when malls are dying, (last time I was in Trumbull mall a few months ago [first time I'd even been to a mall in years] brought back 2000's vibes but half of the stores were gone) Norwalk is BUILDING one?

And Trumbull's solution is to build an AQUARIUM!? I love animals but this doesn't really make sense. They're totally infringing on each other's demographic... For example, living in FFLD, I'm just about 15 mins from both. Instead of having one logical option for each now I'll be torn between the two. Both will get less traffic than average, which is terrible for 1) an incredibly niche thing and 2) a dying trend
The two malls will be pretty different though. The Trumbull mall is built on the old concept of malls where you go to only shop.. which is the failing model. The Norwalk mall is the new concept where it has weekly or daily destinations, supermarket, gym etc.

Lets be honest, there's no way the Trumbull mall can have an aquarium on par with the one in Norwalk which is already nationally recognized, and was purposefully built as an aquarium. So then the question becomes which mall will be better... my money is on a brand new one, with daily/weekly destinations. Not a knock on the trumbull mall, its just tough for the old concept of malls to compete with the new ones.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:39 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,161,529 times
Trumbull has LA Fitness and Target which sells groceries. But yes malls must reinvent themselves to survive. These 2 of course have diffrent owners so are competing

Old 02-03-2019, 11:04 PM

166 posts, read 172,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
The two malls will be pretty different though. The Trumbull mall is built on the old concept of malls where you go to only shop.. which is the failing model. The Norwalk mall is the new concept where it has weekly or daily destinations, supermarket, gym etc.

Lets be honest, there's no way the Trumbull mall can have an aquarium on par with the one in Norwalk which is already nationally recognized, and was purposefully built as an aquarium. So then the question becomes which mall will be better... my money is on a brand new one, with daily/weekly destinations. Not a knock on the trumbull mall, its just tough for the old concept of malls to compete with the new ones.

Do you know what type of "daily/weekly destination" tenants will be going into the new mall?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:11 AM

9,784 posts, read 7,046,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fecke View Post
Do you know what type of "daily/weekly destination" tenants will be going into the new mall?
Some of the tenants targeted include multiple restaurants, a live performance venue, gourmet food stores, fitness, et al. Some of those will create regular visits. It'll be upscale but with a few mid tier tenants but I doubt you'll see JC Penny, Modell's, or Panda Express.

I'll wager that it'll be boutique stores like those found at the Prudential Center Shops (Canada Goose, Shinola, Magic Beans) or Copley Place (Hugo Boss, Jimmy Choo, Fendi).

Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 AM

34,642 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fecke View Post
I don't think that any tenants beyond the anchors (Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's) has been announced. I am sure a tenant list will be announced in the coming months as the mall nears completion. I would think they will mostly be higher end retail and restaurants, plus maybe a couple of entertainment venues. It looks it is going to be a beautiful place and an asset to the region. Jay

Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,228,373 times
Completely different malls and I genuinely think each will have their own purposes.

I know LA is vastly different, but we have two Westfields, near us. One, is the one that I keep referencing that I think the SoNo Collection will be like:

https://www.westfield.com/centurycity

The other is pretty similar to how Trumbull is:

https://www.westfield.com/culvercity

These malls are 7 miles apart. Trumbull and Norwalk are 20 miles (I used Google Maps.) Driving time wise (CT vs LA) they are basically the same driving distance. Both malls have their purposes here....as will the two in CT.

FYI---we frequent Century City more, but the Nordstrom Rack is a huge draw at Culver. I know that was supposed to go in, near the Waypointe--is it still? If not, if there was ever space, it would be a smart move in Trumbull.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:48 PM

514 posts, read 738,470 times
I took my wife to Trumbull mall and the Ct post mall.. btw is it true that the CT post mall is CT’s largest mall?? Anyways this past Saturday I took her to Stamford I figured since we took the train in let’s go to the mall since I don’t have to pay for parking.. holy cow... I mean the last time I went inside was about 3 years ago but store after store was vacant I counted at least 5 around different floors... I went up to the food court thinking Charley’s grilled subs was still around... nope them and Panda Express both left.

My wife was quick to say I give this mall 3 years tops.. I lived for about a year in NJ and the NJ gardens mall kicks all of the malls here away.. not only the fact of no sales tax but the size.

I showed my wife the mall down in sono I kinda wonder what type of people are going to shop in the stores given it’s location.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:50 PM

34,642 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
I took my wife to Trumbull mall and the Ct post mall.. btw is it true that the CT post mall is CT’s largest mall?? Anyways this past Saturday I took her to Stamford I figured since we took the train in let’s go to the mall since I don’t have to pay for parking.. holy cow... I mean the last time I went inside was about 3 years ago but store after store was vacant I counted at least 5 around different floors... I went up to the food court thinking Charley’s grilled subs was still around... nope them and Panda Express both left.

My wife was quick to say I give this mall 3 years tops.. I lived for about a year in NJ and the NJ gardens mall kicks all of the malls here away.. not only the fact of no sales tax but the size.

I showed my wife the mall down in sono I kinda wonder what type of people are going to shop in the stores given it’s location.
Five vacant stores for a mall the size of Stamford is not a lot. Garden State is probably one of the best malls in the country. It is located in affluent Bergen County at the junction of three major highways and attracts a ton of people from Manhattan. Go up to nearby Paramus Park or Fashion Center and you will see something different. Jay

Old 02-04-2019, 06:41 PM

514 posts, read 738,470 times
Most I’ve heard bad about Stamford mall was outdated and the layout inside.. I understand the reason for the layout but most people would rather go further for better selections or cheaper to no sales tax.

My wife was wondering why Westfield just not take over the Stamford mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut