Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

New Milford cell tower bid raises ire - News - The Litchfield County Times

"NEW MILFORD—Area residents and conservationists are opposing AT&T’s proposal to erect a telecommunications tower on New Preston Hill Road, citing environmental, ecological, economic and other concerns

The facility, which would include a 134-foot monopole, would be installed at a 1,042-foot elevation, on a parcel of land leased from Maurice and Mary Grossenbacher.

“I can understand why Mr. Grossenbacher is doing this, but it’s a beautiful vista and has historical importance. We seem to be destroying landscape after landscape, and this is going to affect a lot of people,” said local resident MaryJane Lundgren, a member of the Town Council who lives in the vicinity. “I feel this is the last pristine area. Once something like this goes in and then the technology becomes antiquated later on, there is no provision to take it down, so it would just deteriorate and further destroy the landscape.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 AM

679 posts, read 1,190,214 times
NIMBY much?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Good. Its absurd that its 2014 and the state is still not fully covered for wireless service.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Good. Its absurd that its 2014 and the state is still not fully covered for wireless service.

I'm with you on this one.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM

I haven't had a landline phone since 2003 AND I didn't bid on a home because of poor cell service there so I'm not totally against it

BUT... maybe people buy homes in those places to get away from the constant changing civilization and they don't care about having just a landline.

And I believe Cable companies now offer it through their modem/service too.

Just goes to show how we're changing the landscape with even small things like a cell tower. It snowballs after that.

Vermonteers have an issue with it too.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:35 AM

34,931 posts, read 56,935,296 times
There has been a similar issue down in South Glastonbury where cell phone coverage is aweful. The residents keep fighting proposals even those that are not very intrusive. It is almost a safety issue now a days since you can't get service in portions of that section of town. I just hope it does not take a real tragedy to get people to some into the 21st century. Jay

Old 06-12-2014, 02:37 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
There are proposals for 2 more in Danbury. One is in an area where cell phone service is terrible, but where they want to put the tower in is the public golf course! The other place they want to put up the tower is above a 4 story high rise condo building across fairly close to downtown but is a across the street for an elementary school. I don't think either one is going to get approved.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM

Being its 2014 one would think we would only need a few of these around. What's the current radius of the signal and can't they figure out how to expand it? This way we don't have to touch undeveloped land. Maybe put it in the buisness sections of the towns.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Being its 2014 one would think we would only need a few of these around. What's the current radius of the signal and can't they figure out how to expand it? This way we don't have to touch undeveloped land. Maybe put it in the buisness sections of the towns.
Tower separation distance is limited by transmission power (and terrain). You could make the tower transmitters more powerful[*], but increasing the transmit power of the handheld phone would make it bigger and heavier (it would need a lot more battery power).

[*] Making the towers more powerful would play into the hands of the tin-foil-hat anti radio wave types.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
New Preston Hill Rd is one of the most scenic roads in the state, so I can understand not wanting to spoil it. However, the New Milford side is really really woodsy - not too much to see. There's no possible way they could get it built in the Washington/New Preston side. Those people have endless pockets when it comes to fighting development like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut