Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
In West Hartford there are in fact a lot of wealthy medical researchers working for UConn and Hartford hospital who grew up in India and chose Connecticut for their residency or are spending few years here and CT is beneficiary
But they still have not found a cure for cancer.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:53 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I guess unless they find a cure for cancer, quality education isn't a worthwhile investment? What is your point, exactly.

I will say they diagnosed and cured MY cancer here in CT. More than I can say for doctors in Texas.
Quality education can be found everywhere. The Cleveland Clinic is one of the top cancer centers in the US.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Also there's the theory that those taxed more but know their budget, adjust their living habits to balance that

This is an efficiency not created by Govt but incidentally an indirect effect of being taxed more.
Efficiency? Care to explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
In my profession, salaries do not vary as much as COL differences. In my case my TX salary is virtually identical to my former salary in CT, so the drastically reduced cost of living and lower taxes net out to a much improved financial picture.
Math is very stubborn and unfortunately it is not on the side of CT's future.

Quote:
You cannot sustain a society where low cost of living meets high wages in the long run. Name me one longterm success model nation with a low cost of living and high wages, you won't find one.
I'l give you one -- United States.

Now, you give me an example of one country that LONG-TERM has sustained high wages, high COL, AND most importantly LOW growth.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Quality education can be found everywhere. The Cleveland Clinic is one of the top cancer centers in the US.
I really don't know what you're talking about. You're insisting on a point that is incorrect to the point of looking silly.

Compare SAT scores from state to state.

U-Texas is a top university. Doesn't mean on average education is better in Connecticut than in Texas. If you think all things are equal everywhere, move to central Mississippi, buy your $65,000 home and enjoy. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a well-paying professional job there.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:51 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I really don't know what you're talking about. You're insisting on a point that is incorrect to the point of looking silly.

Compare SAT scores from state to state.

U-Texas is a top university. Doesn't mean on average education is better in Connecticut than in Texas. If you think all things are equal everywhere, move to central Mississippi, buy your $65,000 home and enjoy. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a well-paying professional job there.
All you do is make excuses when confronted with the real truths of this state.

High taxes - check
High spending - check
Massive Welfare state - check
Corporations leaving in droves - check
Democratic supermajority in state representatives and governor - check
Democratic liberal agenda run amok - check

The truth is we are living the kind of policies that your liberal side has been advocating and it is a failure just look at the facts they don't lie

Old 06-22-2014, 12:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

High taxes - check
High spending - check

The truth is we are living the kind of policies that your liberal side has been advocating and it is a failure just look at the facts they don't lie
The poster I was responding to was griping that we haven't cured cancer in Connecticut, despite having good schools.

I've seen your stump speech before and it's as tired, old and hyperbolic as ever. Maybe you just can't make it here and you need to move to Texas? Many of us are happy here so we stay. You're unhappy. Move.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

High taxes - check
High spending - check

By almost any metric CT is far wealthier, better educated, and more prosperous than WV, MS, AL, etc. These are simple facts

Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
Let me say this much. I flew Bradley airport to Dallas airport today connecting to San Francisco

Now I'm in San Francisco

Today's weather is awesome in high COLA spots and miserable in Low COLA Texas and Florida

The connecting town of Dallas had not just bad weather but geez what a lame airport. That skylink system to save money on moving platforms. And their best bakery is the same dunkin donuts that belongs to New England

Whatever wealth is being created there is hoarded because the goal is bare minimum convenience and no public good, just how low can you go on cost. No thanks to that.

It's wealth that just simmers in the pockets of wealthy landowners who won't be coughing it up. What they pay for babysitter to watch their kids? $3-5/hour. Networth ? 7 figures.
We aren't like this in the northeast

I don't like the cheap society and culture. It's what's the lowest price that will get you by kind of way of life. You would never know such a place was even booming

So you have people with $200/month rent and no state income tax and $200K/year struggling over decisions like "should I get 2happy meals from McDonald's for my child and me? Or save by taking a dunkin donuts bagel and one happy meal. But but I will save $0.76!!! On the other hand I will be hungrier but I'm a man I can fight the hunger

Last edited by EricS39; 06-22-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
I'm sorry but if you can't live on 200k a year something needs to be reconsidered

Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
America is a very status driven society, we try to impress one another for no apparent good reason other then to show off.

Realistically speaking nobody needs a 5,000 square foot house and 2 European suv's in sitting in their driveway. That's not a sign that you're doing good, that's a sign that you're in debt.

I like European cars myself, I've looked at a few Passats, Volkswagen if you don't know what a Passat is.

However for now I'm just as happy with my HEMI Dodge, made right here in the good old USA.

When you live in excess, like the Fairfield Counties, the Westchester Counties, and those similar, the financial burdens you create for yourself are self destructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut