Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 11:45 AM

101 posts, read 111,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Buying a home is a long term commitment that is better than renting despite what that book says. Owning a home gives you more control over your residence. You do not have to live by someone elses rules or are subject to the whims of a landlord. Also once you buy a home your monthly payments are fairly stable while rents commonly keep going up over time. Taxes on the home may go up, but a fixed rate mortgage does not. Plus you are building equity as time goes on which goes a long way over time.

Sorry but today people tend to be very shortsighted in their decision making. IF they look long term you will see that owning a home is much better than renting. Jay
I didn't say that renting was better than owning. What I said is that both options have pros and cons so making an absolute statement on which is better would be foolish. You seem to be the shortsighted one by only acknowledging the pros. The decision depends heavily on one's personal situation/lifestyle/values, etc.

If you want to have the flexibility to move every ~3-5 years for higher paying opportunities (or even just to experience different parts of the country) you could very well lose money due to commissions, closing fees, staging etc, not to mention the burden and stress of having to sell a house while moving and buying a new one. Granted some people want to live in the same town their whole lives, great, but others don't.

Last edited by Goose-boy; 07-09-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Even in my online search for my potential relocation what I have realized that there's NO utopia anywhere as it's a compromise that is made no matter where one decides to live.

The beautiful photos nep321 linked to which I viewed a several times made me come to this conclusion as well as in my long research: Most of those areas only do good for a visit and not day to day living. There's no civilization in around many of those areas those photo locations where at verses as it is like in CT with the similar and better (depending on ones taste) can surround you in many places in your day to day living and even so in many places in New England as well.

A side note/food for thought: Two plus years ago I moved down here to SW NJ (from Northern NJ 2.5 mi directly south of the GW Bridge) so to assist my immediate family (my parents in particular) so that they wouldn't wind up in the street as they were bleeding financially. I actually miss my former area for its geography, the small particulars, the culture, the hills and mountains in view from my former residence, the towns with main streets verses down here its generally flat with only a handful of towns that have some sought of main street in town but all in all it's all sprawl filled with strips malls and such = NO CHARACTER, NO SENSE OF COMMUNITY AND TOO STERILE imho. Connecticut and much of New England (as well as my former area) have that character and all. Time will tell if my wish to fill that void will come and have really spent countless hours trying to pinpoint where to from here, maybe back from where I came but I really want to entertain someplace away from the NYC influence for gentler living and not as a fierce job search/market/rat race. It only took an approx., 110 miles move from where I had all that to make me realize how much I miss it even if it means at my age to share an apartment elsewhere to achieve it = living within my means verses what my "fantasy dreams" would be and just being realistic.

Though this thread is now over 500 posts long, it's actually good that many thoughts have been posted by the great posters here and even that repetitive back and forth so that many other people reading this thread whom are in a similar crossroads will make them think with potential new ideas of their own to help resolve their potential new residence location imo.

Last edited by atgss; 07-09-2014 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-09-2014, 12:07 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The only area with good paying accounting jobs in the Pacific Northwest is Seattle. But it's expensive and has horrible traffic just like FFC, so I wouldn't want to live there.

You seem to promote CT as a "dream" place all the time. I think your view is based solely on personal opinion and upbringing and comfort zone. If CT was that great, then why aren't people really moving here on any significant scale? Clearly people don't prioritize the things you promote, such as nice zoning, quality homes, schools, etc., otherwise CT would be experiencing a huge influx of new residents. And at least half of the people that leave CT have no desire to come back.

You, on the other hand, have virtually lived in CT your entire life and have roots here, so you have a vested interest in promoting it.
I never said that Connecticut was a "dream" place but I am always reminding people of how much we have here. Too many people leave this state only to realize how good they had it here. You see this all the time on this forum.

You of all people should know this. You have been on several searches for "Dream" places to live and dispite repeated warnings from all of us who have listened to you complain multiple times about everything, chose the one place to live that EVERYONE of us knew you would hate. And yes people are not flocking to Connecticut but that is primarily because we are a low growth state that refuses to completely distroy our landscape to allow developers and major corporations to come in and bulldoze the countryside to put up some massive out of scale development. If we did, Connecticut would just be another New Jersey.

Finally I do not care where the heck you end up. This will not make or break me. I am just sick of people complaining constantly about Connecticut and not even acknowledging the advantages. Enough of the BS already nep, we are geting tired of your complaints and posts. Move somewhere already and find out for yourself what it is like. I wish you the best. Jay

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The only area with good paying accounting jobs in the Pacific Northwest is Seattle. But it's expensive and has horrible traffic just like FFC, so I wouldn't want to live there.

You seem to promote CT as a "dream" place all the time. I think your view is based solely on personal opinion and upbringing and comfort zone. If CT was that great, then why aren't people really moving here on any significant scale? Clearly people don't prioritize the things you promote, such as nice zoning, quality homes, schools, etc., otherwise CT would be experiencing a huge influx of new residents. And at least half of the people that leave CT have no desire to come back.

You, on the other hand, have virtually lived in CT your entire life and have roots here, so you have a vested interest in promoting it.
There's NO utopia, I've found that too many areas in the USA have that backwards earning power to COL besides other factors.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
There's NO utopia, I've found that too many areas in the USA have that backwards earning power to COL besides other factors.
I'm not saying there is a utopia somewhere. But in my opinion, staying in the same place for a lifetime of 80 years is not good for the soul. I think it's healthy for humans to get out of their bubble and experience other lifestyles and places, even if just once during a lifetime. Some people find that they prefer the alternative place to their place of origin. Others do not. It's a really personal and subjective thing.

But I agree with you, every place has pros and cons, to differing degrees.

If Americans had never ventured out and relocated to other areas, we'd all still be living in the original 13 colonies. Oh crap....I currently live in one of the original 13 colonies.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying there is a utopia somewhere. But in my opinion, staying in the same place for a lifetime of 80 years is not good for the soul. I think it's healthy for humans to get out of their bubble and experience other lifestyles and places, even if just once during a lifetime. Some people find that they prefer the alternative place to their place of origin. Others do not. It's a really personal and subjective thing.

But I agree with you, every place has pros and cons, to differing degrees.

If Americans had never ventured out and relocated to other areas, we'd all still be living in the original 13 colonies. Oh crap....I currently live in one of the original 13 colonies.
(Response to the Bolded) That's not such a bad thing imo.

Anyway, you need to perhaps take a step or two back and REALLY make assessments as you yourself are in indecision to where to relocate to. Compromises will need to be made as you well know, I know it can be tough to decide which of what you may really want you may need to compromise on.

Like me, I'd love to get away from the heavy snow accumulation totals but the areas that satisfy that have other bad negatives (to me) that take them out of consideration.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times
Quote:

Aside from the last 5 years of living here, I lived in NY, Westchester County to be exact, Bronxville to be even more exact. We love living here in CT and have no desire to ever move away or god forbid, back to NY. Even though I technically live in Derby(I know people on here like to trash Derby but they seem to have no knowledge of the hilltop area and the behind Lowes area), I live a few feet from the Orange border and my back yard is the Field View Farm. My view out back is insane, I get to see animals all of the time as my wife and I are animal lovers and we love exploring hiking trails. Aside from the traffic issue, we love it here. To us , it sure beats living in NY.......and we lived there a loooong time. Good riddance.
There is no Utopia anywhere......as long as you are happy where you are, that should all that matters.......if not move to where you will be happy then.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Even though I technically live in Derby(I know people on here like to trash Derby but they seem to have no knowledge of the hilltop area and the behind Lowes area), I live a few feet from the Orange border and my back yard is the Field View Farm.
I have knowledge of the area.

And i think you'll be getting hit with a special assessment soon. The fence looks like it has seen better days.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
On occasion, I entertain the idea of moving further out from lower FFC and having a longer commute. However, today, as I was driving up I-95 from Stamford to Norwalk, the more I was like "oh HELLLLLL no."

Dude, it takes 40 minutes just to get from Stamford to NORWALK, which is only 9 miles away, whether it's by car or train. Same time. Same effective cost, too.

I can't imagine living in places like Shelton, West Haven, etc. Commuting an hour each way just eats up way too much time in the day. More than I'm comfortable with, that's for sure. I'm cool with 30 minutes (45 with traffic) and that's very reasonable.

So yeah, I just ain't going to do that.

I know.....many people do it every day, but guess what. I think they're absolutely insane. Maybe my perspective is different, because having lived and worked in the Hartford area for years, my tolerance for commute times is significantly less than that of people who have lived and worked in FFC all their lives. I supposed I'm spoiled in that regard.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:21 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
You're not allowed in the church if you even accept a gay relative.
That is absolutely false.
Quote:
...behind closed doors they regularly refer to NM's, especially gays, blacks, and other minorities as "devils".
And so is that.

Furthermore, what do any of these comments even have to do with the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut