Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 11:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I liked Boise, but there are no jobs. So forget it. Oregon has no jobs either. Neither does Nevada. All the places I like have no jobs.
IMHO those places most likely don't have "the backbone" to almost never to have these good jobs and corresponding salary. Maybe they'll be one job and if something happens to that one can be S.O.L.

With many other places it's either or having no jobs, low pay, no opportunities or need to travel a hefty amount of miles/time which negates any positives if any to begin with.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
IMHO those places most likely don't have "the backbone" to almost never to have these good jobs and corresponding salary. Maybe they'll be one job and if something happens to that one can be S.O.L.

With many other places it's either or having no jobs, low pay, no opportunities or need to travel a hefty amount of miles/time which negates any positives if any to begin with.
Since NEP likes secondary / regional cities, jobs of course will not be as plentiful as in large cities. He should rather focus on unemployment numbers, low crime, and economics -- how well the city and state are run.

Another idea is to go international, working for an international / American firm abroad. Many people in their twenties do this. I also did it myself for a few years, and it was a great experience, on top of financial and career benefits.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Connecticut is trying to get more young people moving into Hartford by building "Micro-Apartments". Something like 200sf but have all amenities of a normal size apartment.

I think this is where CT's location is hurting it's ability to attract young people. If Hartford was dropped in the middle of say Montana it would be a boom city with people, business, entertainment you name it Hartford would have it. Unfortunalty being sandwiched between two of the best cities in the world Hartford is like the red headed step child...it's just there. No one pays attention to it, every once and a while someone will throw a bone with the intention that it will fail. Young people want to move to a City and to many outside CT Hartford is NOT a city. Or some young people, like myself, want to move to the Country and can't stand the city but that is another story.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Connecticut is trying to get more young people moving into Hartford by building "Micro-Apartments". Something like 200sf but have all amenities of a normal size apartment.

I think this is where CT's location is hurting it's ability to attract young people. If Hartford was dropped in the middle of say Montana it would be a boom city with people, business, entertainment you name it Hartford would have it. Unfortunalty being sandwiched between two of the best cities in the world Hartford is like the red headed step child...it's just there. No one pays attention to it, every once and a while someone will throw a bone with the intention that it will fail. Young people want to move to a City and to many outside CT Hartford is NOT a city. Or some young people, like myself, want to move to the Country and can't stand the city but that is another story.
I disagree there. I think Hartford is objectively lame in comparison to "most" cities. For my age group (and IIRC your're in as well) Hartford is mostly a drinking city. I don't really drink. That's not to say I mind drinking here and there, but the Hartford scene is almost entirely of the "club scene". Being married, I'm far from caring about a bunch of sloppy skanks with daddy issues at the bar dancing like the're strippers. I wasn't even into that when I was single. Always preferred more intellectual women. Anyway, I think the nightlife activity in Hartford lacks diversity--at least for our demographic.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:

Yeah I agree with all that.

Most young people want to live in a vibrant city, but not all, including myself (if 30 can even be considered young anymore, with all my grey hairs coming now and skin starting to look a bit more weathered). Since I'm a forward thinker (I vote Democrat all the time now), I might as well be okay with moving to some place where people who are 35-40 enjoy living.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
This right here is well hard to believe

You prefer Hartford to anywhere else in the country?

Boston, NYC, LA, Denver, Seattle, Chicago, PHL, Houston, MIAME, Austin all are better than Hartford.

Basically any city in the US is better than Hartford.
See now I disagree with you and do so strongly. The cities you mention are all larger than Hartford and thus harder to live in. Buying a nice home in a good suburb near almost any of them is nearly impossible but in Hartford there are so many great towns to live in, it is hard to make a choice. I clearly think you do not realize what we have here and have a severe case of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrom. Jay

Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:

I disagree. There's hundreds of thousands of young people in suburbs in CT. Many would happily move to Hartford if the jobs/amenities that make city living worthwhile existed there. New Haven, Providence, and Stamford (and to a lesser extent, Norwalk) attract a younger crowd more successfully than Hartford. They're all in-between Boston and NY and are growing.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I disagree. There's hundreds of thousands of young people in suburbs in CT. Many would happily move to Hartford if the jobs/amenities that make city living worthwhile existed there. New Haven, Providence, and Stamford (and to a lesser extent, Norwalk) attract a younger crowd more successfully than Hartford. They're all in-between Boston and NY and are growing.
Even Middletown and New London have notable interest from young people. Heck, even Manchester does. Manchester now has 17.6% of it's population aged 25-34 -- far above the national figure of 13.4%. Likely due to relatively affordable housing. IMO it's like a poor man's West Hartford and I would be totally fine with living there now. There are many nice, updated capes full of character going for $200K.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Even Middletown and New London have notable interest from young people. Heck, even Manchester does. Manchester now has 17.6% of it's population aged 25-34 -- far above the national figure of 13.4%. Likely due to relatively affordable housing. IMO it's like a poor man's West Hartford and I would be totally fine with living there now. There are many nice, updated capes full of character going for $200K.
A high percentage of the young people that work in the many companies in Windsor live in Manchester. Middletown is popular because of its central location which allows easy access to Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and even Fairfield County.

Gee Nep, you are mellowing out if you are willing to live in a town like West Hartford now. Must be old age. Jay

Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A high percentage of the young people that work in the many companies in Windsor live in Manchester. Middletown is popular because of its central location which allows easy access to Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and even Fairfield County.

Gee Nep, you are mellowing out if you are willing to live in a town like West Hartford now. Must be old age. Jay
Yes, I would be okay with living in West Hartford (or Manchester) now. Why should I care anymore about living in a young mecca that attracts 20-somethings? I know I'm still young, but I'm 30 now and will only get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut