Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The job search might be tougher than I anticipate. The unemployment rate in the Hartford metro is 7.9%....far higher than the national average. That worries me. I wonder if it's even possible to relocate back there within the next four months. Either I keep trying until I find something, or I choose an alternative place to relocate to. Then again, there's my targeted $9,000 (after-tax) bonus that is payable to me in March here at my job in FFC. I'm gonna have to pass it up and just leave, which sucks.
But But But with that magical masters degree you referred to and the headhunters banging at your back door() it should be a cake walk, no?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 AM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnetnutmeg View Post
... I cannot wait to leave!

Already? But you just got there. Give it a chance. It might grow on you.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ok let's be clear here. "MOST" young people are not moving out of Connecticut. Sorry. I'm sure you'll find a job, but it has nothing to do with "MOST" young people moving. MOST young people are remaining in Connecticut.

Make responsible statements on here-- This is basically a relocation board.
I like this (bold) above. CT might not have the influx of young people such as parts of Florida, South Carolina, N. Carolina and Texas, but we DO have the young people who lived here STAYING here and to me that is the biggest accomplishment. If you live here your whole life you want it to succeed, you take greater care of the area and have more pride in Connecticut. Most young transplants move just to move and have no "skin in the game" because they know they can just get up and move again.

Let's keep the good ones in CT while "weeding" out the slackers to Florida/Carolinas/Texas so in a couple years we (CT) can be a powerhouse that all the other States model after.

Areas set to thrive (not included currently thriving) in the next decade are New London/Groton, Hartford (proper) and Danbury. Those are my predictions. My reason is that the burbs of these towns/cities will price young people out of the market and they will look for cheaper places to live which will create a new wave of prosperity.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 AM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
... but I'm 30 now and will only get older.

A good thing! The saying really is true...youth is wasted on the young.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I have to agree. Sprawl destroys communities and natural beauty, it takes what is real and turns into fake cookie cutter developments run by communist home owner associations. If young people want to be hip that's what NYC is for, go live there.

There is nothing worse then being trapped in suburban hell.
Indianapolis is mostly sprawl and is just quite ugly in many parts.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
What's everyones beef with "sprawl"?

Am I misunderstanding something or am I the only one who likes clean cut houses with clean cut neighborhoods? Newer houses in newer "sprawl" neighborhoods are often gorgeous. Sure, they lack that historic character, but it's still a character of it's own. I like granite countertops, brick/stone construction, open floor plans, higher ceilings etc etc more than isolated, darker, closed in rooms of the Colonial Revivalism architecture.

What especially worries me about these older houses (1950's prior) is their future resale. I can only assume that if you live in such a house for 20 years from today, the next generation of owners will probably need to demo and rebuild, no? What is the average lifespan of a house? Wood doesn't last forever and I would hate to be the sucker living in it when everyone starts realizing these houses from the Silent Generation are past their expiration date.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post

Am I misunderstanding something or am I the only one who likes clean cut houses with clean cut neighborhoods? Newer houses in newer "sprawl" neighborhoods are often gorgeous. Sure, they lack that historic character, but it's still a character of it's own. I like granite countertops, brick/stone construction, open floor plans, higher ceilings etc etc more than isolated, darker, closed in rooms of the Colonial Revivalism architecture.
You can get all of those things in an older, well build homes. You can also create a more modern floor plan within them. It seems that the combination of a classic exterior and modern interior is becoming more common.

Having spent a great deal of time in Texas, I'm not a fan of sprawl. In my opinion, sprawl is ruining Austin. How many strip malls with a Michael's, a Petco, Bed Bath and Beyond do you need until the landscape starts to bee effected. How many community of identical cheaply built housing do you need.

I much prefer the character here to the sameness and sprawl of Texas.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
But But But with that magical masters degree you referred to and the headhunters banging at your back door() it should be a cake walk, no?
We'll see. I'm just making predictions at this time. Unlike last time, I'm actually employed this time around, which makes me more attractive to employers. Finding a job while you already have a job is easier than when you're unemployed.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post

What especially worries me about these older houses (1950's prior) is their future resale. I can only assume that if you live in such a house for 20 years from today, the next generation of owners will probably need to demo and rebuild, no? What is the average lifespan of a house? Wood doesn't last forever and I would hate to be the sucker living in it when everyone starts realizing these houses from the Silent Generation are past their expiration date.
At least here, many seem comically large and there is no neighborhood, just a kind of plop, plop, plop look to them. There is also the issue of little mature landscaping and trees.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
If you live here your whole life you want it to succeed, you take greater care of the area and have more pride in Connecticut.
Very well said and I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut