Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

What your thoughts on this ?

Connecticut’s economy is growing - but at half the pace of the rest of the country, according to figures released Wednesday by the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Last year, The Hartford Courant used Bureau of Economic Analysis figures to report that Connecticut was the only state in which the economy shrunk in 2012. The newest figures show that the state’s economy did grow last year - 0.9 percent. This was thanks to revenue from real estate rental and leasing and information, according to Clifford Woodruff from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
In 2013 nondurable manufacturing, transportation and warehousing and finance and insurance all shrunk in the state.
But Connecticut didn’t fare so well in comparison with its New England neighbors. Massachusetts, Vermont and Rhode Island all saw more growth in 2013.
The U.S. economy grew 1.8 percent overall last year, with North Dakota experiencing the largest growth of 7.6 percent. Alaska and D.C.’s economies shrunk in comparison with 2012.
The BEA used real gross domestic product to calculate growth.

BEA: News Release: GDP by State

How Is Connecticut

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Times will change, I'm sure.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:44 PM

We rank bottom 5 for small businesses freindely for 2014 so far

Thumbtack, in partnership with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, has released Connecticut's results from the third annual Thumbtack.com Small Business Friendliness Survey. The study, drawing upon data from over 12,000 small business owners, provides new insights into state and local business environments across the nation. "After a two-month survey of thousands of small business owners nationwide, Connecticut's small businesses have told us it is one of the least friendly states in the nation," says Jon Lieber, Chief Economist of Thumbtack. "Creating a business climate that is welcoming to small, dynamic businesses is more important than ever, and Connecticut's small businesses do not think the state has been doing a good job."
Some of the key findings for Connecticut include:
  • Connecticut received a D for its friendliness towards small business, one of the worst grades in the country.
  • Connecticut received the worst grade in the nation for its regulatory friendliness.
  • The state rated in last place for its health and safety, licensing, environmental regulations, and zoning laws.
  • Small businesses in Connecticut had the second worst outlook for the national economy of any state.
  • Female entrepreneurs in Connecticut rated the friendliness of their state government 9 percent higher than their male counterparts.
  • The top rated states overall were Utah, Idaho, Texas, Virginia and Louisiana. The lowest rated were Rhode Island, Illinois, California, Connecticut and New Jersey.
Connecticut Small Business Friendliness Survey - Thumbtack

Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
CNN Money said Connecticut was not fairing so well in an article I had read this morning on their web page.

I'm from the area but was only most familiar with Danbury, I was born and raised in Putnam County New York.

In my opinion I think Connecticut needs new government, should not be so welcoming to the New Yorkers raising their cost of living, not everybody works in Manhattan nor has the desire too.

Main Street business for the most part has always been the backbone of America, those smaller business have more of an invested interest in their communities unlike the corps who only care more about the bottom line and will pack up and go somewhere else no matter how many jobs it costs.

Ronald Reagan said it best, the best social program is a job. Small business creates those jobs.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
CNN Money said Connecticut was not fairing so well in an article I had read this morning on their web page.

I'm from the area but was only most familiar with Danbury, I was born and raised in Putnam County New York.

In my opinion I think Connecticut needs new government, should not be so welcoming to the New Yorkers raising their cost of living, not everybody works in Manhattan nor has the desire too.

Main Street business for the most part has always been the backbone of America, those smaller business have more of an invested interest in their communities unlike the corps who only care more about the bottom line and will pack up and go somewhere else no matter how many jobs it costs.

Ronald Reagan said it best, the best social program is a job. Small business creates those jobs.

This one ?

America's biggest losers: 5 worst state economies - Jun. 12, 2014

Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Yes, that's the one I had read

Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post

Ronald Reagan has many great quotes, that being one of them. But honestly, he was one of the worst presidents ever. He's the one who's responsible for this extreme income inequality disaster our country is facing today. And the death of pensions. He placed too much faith in the free markets. It may have done well in the short term back in the 80's, but 30 years later it's a disaster.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 PM

Perhaps but I do agree with the quote. I feel very blessed to have a job and make the money the wife and I do.

A job with a steady income empowers people. It gives people the opportunity to pursue further education, pay the bills, keep a roof over ones head, own a car, have something that resembles a life.

The greatest thing our country could do right now is support the small business community, bring back apprenticeships, lower college costs, and let's take pride in the product we do make, we bailed out General Motors and what a disaster they are again. Cost culture management almost wiped out an iconic American company.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Ronald Reagan has many great quotes, that being one of them. But honestly, he was one of the worst presidents ever. He's the one who's responsible for this extreme income inequality disaster our country is facing today. And the death of pensions. He placed too much faith in the free markets. It may have done well in the short term back in the 80's, but 30 years later it's a disaster.
Its amazing that people are dumb enough to believe these ridiculous talking points

Responsible for income inequality?

You don't get basic economics freind

You increase taxes and you will kill jobs and economic growth. Liberals like to claim that the free market will create poor people but that's what government does. Your seeing it in CT's economy.

Look at all the companies that are leaving the US because of the high tax rate
Medtronic $42.9bn purchase of Covidien puts Ireland tax rules back in spotlight - Independent.ie

Please refrain from voting

Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What your thoughts on this ?

Connecticut’s economy is growing - but at half the pace of the rest of the country, according to figures released Wednesday by the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Last year, The Hartford Courant used Bureau of Economic Analysis figures to report that Connecticut was the only state in which the economy shrunk in 2012. The newest figures show that the state’s economy did grow last year - 0.9 percent. This was thanks to revenue from real estate rental and leasing and information, according to Clifford Woodruff from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
In 2013 nondurable manufacturing, transportation and warehousing and finance and insurance all shrunk in the state.
But Connecticut didn’t fare so well in comparison with its New England neighbors. Massachusetts, Vermont and Rhode Island all saw more growth in 2013.
The U.S. economy grew 1.8 percent overall last year, with North Dakota experiencing the largest growth of 7.6 percent. Alaska and D.C.’s economies shrunk in comparison with 2012.
The BEA used real gross domestic product to calculate growth.

BEA: News Release: GDP by State

How Is Connecticut
Connecticut did better than other states in the Northeast. Nothing shocking here we haven't already seen and digested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut