Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,329 times

Advertisements

Right here ...came out yesterday

The Best And Worst States For The New Economy - Forbes

CT #8 ahead of Utah? This can't be right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM

267 posts, read 448,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Right here ...came out yesterday

The Best And Worst States For The New Economy - Forbes

CT #8 ahead of Utah? This can't be right
I guess we'll find out in about 5-10 years.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
while CT is certainly far from a perfect place, we do have a comparatively well educated workforce, a great location between Boston and New York, and are within a short drive of many of the top universities in the world - Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Brown, MIT, NYU, Princeton, and others.

Now, if the state can just do a better job attracting & retaining young people...

Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
while CT is certainly far from a perfect place, we do have a comparatively well educated workforce, a great location between Boston and New York, and are within a short drive of many of the top universities in the world - Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Brown, MIT, NYU, Princeton, and others.

Now, if the state can just do a better job attracting & retaining young people...
All these forums are full of negative threads/comments. You can't base everything on them.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
All these forums are full of negative threads/comments. You can't base everything on them.
Yes, I know. I just visited another state forum and found it to be very unfriendly with just a simple question. And, it is supposed to be a very friendly area.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:24 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Hard to believe that Connecticut's economy can come in at No. 8 when you read the constant complaints on these boards. The point is our economy is not a boom and bust type. We did not fall as far so we do not have to climb as far. Of course, we will see if this is correct but still it is good news. Jay

Old 06-20-2014, 11:11 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,691 times
Good schools in the area for sure but they are very elite schools that a select few could ever get into. From that' aspect I'm not sure if there a big help in a way to improve CT's current turmoils.

If they were creating jobs I could see it as a plus and perhaps maybe they are.

I see no problem with the state other then the politicians who may have been able to stay in office for far too long.

If the higher taxes mean higher salaries and everything balances out at the end then CT is probably no more expensive then anywhere else, with the exception of the parts closer to manhattan.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Good schools in the area for sure but they are very elite schools that a select few could ever get into. From that' aspect I'm not sure if there a big help in a way to improve CT's current turmoils.

If they were creating jobs I could see it as a plus and perhaps maybe they are.

I see no problem with the state other then the politicians who may have been able to stay in office for far too long.

If the higher taxes mean higher salaries and everything balances out at the end then CT is probably no more expensive then anywhere else, with the exception of the parts closer to manhattan.
Academic jobs (exempting professorships) are generally lower paying than similar positions in corporate america. They're good for experience, but they most likely won't pay the mortgage.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:36 PM

76 posts, read 96,166 times
Academic jobs are generally more secure, I imagine. Schools do not relocate, nor go bankrupt (at least not the major institutions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut