Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 AM

722 posts, read 1,976,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eavd View Post
WOW! where in Waterbury do you live? And how do you get away with it? Do you have to act liberal around your black friends, or do they know were you stand?
Just because someone is "conservative" doesn't mean that they have to act a certain way. I, too, am conservative: I believe in traditional values and morals (I'm not for gay marriage, abortion). But I am for the poor, so for this election, I had to ask myself, is it worth making laws against abortion (which, in my opinion, wont work anyways. In CT, we act like if we make a law the problem will go away.) or should I vote for the man that would work for the lower class? John McCain wanted to cut something like $700 million from headstart. That was the final straw for me, because before I heard that, I was actually gonna vote for him.

75% of high school graduates in poor areas went to headstart. Even though I cant stand some of the things that Obama said recently, I kinda expected it because I kno he's a super liberal. But at least the kids from broke families will have a chance to actually get an education..

Old 04-04-2009, 10:12 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,799,385 times
You are right, if there are laws against abortion, and abortion still happens, we should not make those laws! Hey, guess what, there are laws against murder, and murder still happens! We should get rid of those stupid anti-murder laws too!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Just because someone is "conservative" doesn't mean that they have to act a certain way. I, too, am conservative: I believe in traditional values and morals (I'm not for gay marriage, abortion). But I am for the poor, so for this election, I had to ask myself, is it worth making laws against abortion (which, in my opinion, wont work anyways. In CT, we act like if we make a law the problem will go away.) or should I vote for the man that would work for the lower class? John McCain wanted to cut something like $700 million from headstart. That was the final straw for me, because before I heard that, I was actually gonna vote for him.

75% of high school graduates in poor areas went to headstart. Even though I cant stand some of the things that Obama said recently, I kinda expected it because I kno he's a super liberal. But at least the kids from broke families will have a chance to actually get an education..

Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
You are right, if there are laws against abortion, and abortion still happens, we should not make those laws! Hey, guess what, there are laws against murder, and murder still happens! We should get rid of those stupid anti-murder laws too!!!!

Here we go wit the flaming.

I think there should be laws against abortion (and murder too). But u gotta address these the underlining factor of these issues. why is murder rampant in hartford? Because there is poverty. And why is there poverty? Because there are people who grow up in it, trust it and never leave it. There has to be institutions (ie the Church) who do more than "care" about the poor; they have to get out there, show love, and make it look like they care. If not, they become their own interest group, sorta like how the gay marriage thing came about.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 PM

9 posts, read 60,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post

Every child in America has a chance to get an education. There is not one state in this country that does not provide education for those who come from broke families. No one is standing at the doors of the school and saying "Go home kid you can't come here because your family is poor and will always be poor" States provide those things for those who live in their states, like Connecticut. If a State is failing blame the State not the President.

The President of the United States should not have to worry about kids from broke familes going to school. Thats not his job. And we should not be voting him in on that, or any other agenda that belongs to the states.

I did not vote for Obama or McCain I voted for Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party, because I see no difference between the two "Big Box" parties. I could not live in Waterbury today because of my views. I'm to "conservative." I hope this does not cause any one on this forum to get upset because I expressed "my views" I'm just trying to join in the conversation.

Do we vote for a law and then turn around and break that law? No, we follow that law and expect othes to as well. Can we vote "conservative" and then turn around and act like a liberal in our every day lives? How can you say you for some things, and then say you don't have to act as though you are? Just trying to understand.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM

well, I'll answer ur question as soon as u can tell me how a liberal is suppose to act.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:15 AM

9 posts, read 60,486 times
[quote=brasscitybluenwhite;8195079]well, I'll answer ur question as soon as u can tell me how a liberal is suppose to act.[/q

The dictionary defines Liberal as "implies tolerance of others views as well as openmindness to ideas that challenge tradition, established institutions."

I would define liberal, in America, as one who is wanting to "shape" the U.S. into something that person believes is better than what it has been,
by seeing the need for Government to get "involved" in all areas of peoples lives and solve all their problems. While at the same time they are not willing to accept the fact that there are others that don't want that kind of involvement.

I have friends that call themselves liberal, and they have said that Government is not involved enough in our lives. We need Government to do more for us.

Your actions and what you say reflect what is important to you, so to vote one way and act another would totally disregard your reasons for voting the way you did.

I hope that came out right, its late and I'm tired.

Goodnight.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:51 AM

2,489 posts, read 4,699,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eavd View Post
Every child in America has a chance to get an education. There is not one state in this country that does not provide education for those who come from broke families. No one is standing at the doors of the school and saying "Go home kid you can't come here because your family is poor and will always be poor" States provide those things for those who live in their states, like Connecticut. If a State is failing blame the State not the President.

The President of the United States should not have to worry about kids from broke familes going to school. Thats not his job. And we should not be voting him in on that, or any other agenda that belongs to the states.
The idea of having the federal government back off something like public education sounds promising, but that would involve dismantling the US Dept of Education and, this is something I'd LOVE to see, getting rid of No Child Left Behind, which is superficial and glib. That sounds like something Ron Paul would do - and I'm not against either of these. (I like Ron Paul alot but I will admit I did not vote for him). Unfortunately, neither of these is likely to happen.

re: BrassCityBluendWhite - You don't have to be a liberal to be in support of something like same sex marriage. i mean in a way it is, but you can also be a libertarian and support something like that. It's a fine line, really. Do you ever listen to Urban Voices? It's on 93.7 every sunday from, I believe, 5-6pm. I caught it last week when I was leaving WH to see the 'rents. It was interesting because it addressed the issue of education in places like Hartford and Bloomfield, which unfortunately have obstacles to overcome. People call in and voice their opinions and the host gives his $0.02 as well. I remembered what you were saying about the concept of education and the challenges they face and I thought you might find it interesting. Definitely give it a listen.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM

99 posts, read 252,311 times
I think that thee has come to light in this thread one of the main reasons that many people with differing political viewpoints can't seem to really communicate. That reason of course being that everyone seems to have their own idea of what libertarian, conservative, and liberal mean.

If we go by the definition of not wanting the government to interfere in private citizens lives, then, in terms of gay rights, people who want less government interference should, by definition, be pro gay marriage because it is not at all the business of government who a person falls in love with and marries.

As for quoting a dictionary definition and then amending that by stating a personal definition that is contrary to it, that clearly illustrates why constructive dialogue is hard to come by. I do not at all fault the poster who wrote that though, to be clear. There have been so many pundits full of hot air intent on rebranding what it means to be conservative and what it means to be libertarian and what it means to be liberal, it's hard to really know what any of it means. I think it's evident that the major political parties don't really know what it all means anymore either. It is an effective tool to keep people from taking a step back and really thinking about what they are being sold, er, ah, told

As for education, people might want to check out the court case concerning the lack of adequate education in rural South Carolina here CORRIDOR OF SHAME: The Neglect of South Carolina's Rural Schools

Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
The idea of having the federal government back off something like public education sounds promising, but that would involve dismantling the US Dept of Education and, this is something I'd LOVE to see, getting rid of No Child Left Behind, which is superficial and glib. That sounds like something Ron Paul would do - and I'm not against either of these. (I like Ron Paul alot but I will admit I did not vote for him). Unfortunately, neither of these is likely to happen.

re: BrassCityBluendWhite - You don't have to be a liberal to be in support of something like same sex marriage. i mean in a way it is, but you can also be a libertarian and support something like that. It's a fine line, really. Do you ever listen to Urban Voices? It's on 93.7 every sunday from, I believe, 5-6pm. I caught it last week when I was leaving WH to see the 'rents. It was interesting because it addressed the issue of education in places like Hartford and Bloomfield, which unfortunately have obstacles to overcome. People call in and voice their opinions and the host gives his $0.02 as well. I remembered what you were saying about the concept of education and the challenges they face and I thought you might find it interesting. Definitely give it a listen.

hey mike. I truly have alot of respect for what you have said. But let me clarify: I am NOT in favor of gay marriage, however, I think that if we get some religious person in office, and that person overturns gay marriage, we are still at a loss because we wont have an answer to the problem.

(wut i'm about to say is very complex, bear with me) Im very familiar with Urban Voices, but I don't agree with how 93.7 goes about it. They use Hartford problems to air on connecticut radio, assuming everyone can relate to hartford. This is not true. Although the underlining problems are still the same (poverty, single parents, exposing kids to crime), Waterbury has alot of different problems with its public schools than hartford does. In a nutshell, I dont listen to the program simply because I dont think I can relate to it (having grown up in waterbury)

Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM

ok, I see u priscilla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut