Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Depends on what you mean by conservative. We have a suposedly conservative Governor.
In my view theres not much conservative about CT though. Theres people with conservative values & only a generation or so ago we were largely a rural state with a conservative thinking populace. In the past 50 years or so we turned into a suburb of NYC & with that came the liberal minded folks that metro areas generate. They bring their money & with that things changed. It always strikes me as odd that folks move out of an area for whatever reason & then set about changing their new home to resemble the old one.
the reality is that, as a hole CT is about as liberal as you can get. The wealthier town may be somewhat fiscally conservative but socially forget it. If conservative means freedom & liberty to live as you choose there are many better places. As soon as I can I'm out of here headed for NH.
they face a similar liberal infestation coming in from Mass but are a few years behind & I think that most Democrats up there are more conservative than our Republicans.
The big money areas in CT lean very Republican, Westport being an exception, so I don't really see what you mean.

And I disagree that "CT is about as liberal as you can get." Try going to Northern California, Sarasota FL, Asheville NC, all of Massachusetts, Paris, etc. I think people in CT are smack in the middle, as I feel most can view each situation fair-minded.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The big money areas in CT lean very Republican, Westport being an exception, so I don't really see what you mean.

And I disagree that "CT is about as liberal as you can get." Try going to Northern California, Sarasota FL, Asheville NC, all of Massachusetts, Paris, etc. I think people in CT are smack in the middle, as I feel most can view each situation fair-minded.
We can agree to dissagree I hope. You are comparing PARTS of other states to CT as a whole. Even if those states are more liberal, & some may well be, there are 50 states. I tend to think the one known as "the Constitution State" would be towards to top of the conservative heap. We quite consistantly go for the liberals in Presidential & most important elections & there are few places more regulated than we are in CT.

What do you see as conservative about the big money towns & how can that possibly matter if the state as a whole is left leaning? You are subject to state law even in Darien or Greenwich.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I agree with KID. CT is hardly at the top of the liberal heap when comparing states. When i think of liberal states I most certainly put CA and MA at the top.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM

99 posts, read 252,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I really can't argue with you on that point. A lot of Christians (Which I am) look at me like I have three heads sometimes when I wonder why they get upset at folks "removing God" from government. Our government is a reflection of the people, and the people are more and more leaving the God they once knew. No surprise. And at the same time, you can't ask the government to get involved with "God" things such as marriage and then get upset when they redefine something.

You can't have it both ways IMHO.

But on the other hand, we do need rule of law in this nation. So how do we give people rights and protection in things like divorce if we totally separate "church" from "state". I'm not sure that is possible.
While polls show that many people are leaving organized religion, they also show that those who are staying are becoming more fundamental. That should be interesting in the future, especially when it comes to divorce, as many who are fundamental do not believe there is reason for divorce outside infidelity, some even go so far as not allow divorce at all.

I do agree that we need the rule of law and that with rights come responsibilities. Unfortunately, many nowadays want the rights but not responsibility . We have to get back to a place where there is balance, where people willingly accept responsibilities with their rights. I digress

As for secular marriage, treat it like a civil marriage, a legal contract. I just honestly don't see the point of not allowing committed same sex couples the same legal benefits as committed hetero couples in much the same way as I can't wrap my head around laws past that criminalized interracial marriages. Consenting adults in a committed relationship.

but... this thread was about fiscally conservative towns, right

I'm not from CT originally. One thing that I have noticed in the time I have lived here is that I really haven't met anyone who I would peg as either strictly conservative or strictly liberal or even strictly libertarian. Maybe I'm just comparing to other places I have lived but it seems like most people are a pretty moderate mix and not so easily pigeonholed into neat little cubbyholes.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM

12 posts, read 25,465 times
im def strictly conservative.. i dont see how one can be conservative and not be for God, prolife, and constitution

Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I agree with KID. CT is hardly at the top of the liberal heap when comparing states. When i think of liberal states I most certainly put CA and MA at the top.
What are the real differences between CT & Mass?
CA beats us no doubt but every red/blue map I'v ever seen puts us squarely in the blue. There are more liberal states, no question, however we are still up there. Talking to people is fine, but its how the vote & what they support that matters.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teek777 View Post
im def strictly conservative.. i dont see how one can be conservative and not be for God, prolife, and constitution
Because you are confused. Political beliefs have nothing to do with spiritual ones.

How can you be conservative & yet believe the gov't should tell you what to do with your body? Or religion?

I believe the gov'ts job is to run the state at minimal cost & interference to the people. Its not their place to feed the hungry or worry about abortions. They have no place regarding religion or anything of that nature. I think we need a severe reduction in the size & influence of both state & federal govts & I think it will come about eventually whether or not we intentionally initiate it. Eventually the tax burden here will bypass most folks ability to pay & still live a decent life, its very close for many right now.
Once that happens either we will reign in the gov't & its stupid spending policies or it will simply collapse from lack of funds.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Because you are confused. Political beliefs have nothing to do with spiritual ones.

How can you be conservative & yet believe the gov't should tell you what to do with your body? Or religion?

I believe the gov'ts job is to run the state at minimal cost & interference to the people. Its not their place to feed the hungry or worry about abortions.
Honestly, I think you might be the confused one about our constitution and foundations here. No offense.

Most of our laws were/are derrived from "moral law" including "don't kill". If one's belief is that a baby is a baby even before it's born, that's killing so yes the government should enforce the law for all and not some.

Our founding fathers were pretty clear that the government would:
Article the third [Amendment I]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
What are the real differences between CT & Mass?
CA beats us no doubt but every red/blue map I'v ever seen puts us squarely in the blue. There are more liberal states, no question, however we are still up there. Talking to people is fine, but its how the vote & what they support that matters.

I would say as a whole CT & CA are pretty close as far as being liberal. Now certain portions of CA, especially the Bay Area are certainly more liberal than anywhere in CT, but other portions of CA (such as some of the inland areas, and portions of Orange Co) are certainly more conservative than anywhere in CT. Taking all of CT & CA into consideration I would say they are pretty close to one another politically, though CA has more extremes. You could perhaps even make an argument that CT is in some way more liberal than CA (I don't think the gay marriage ban would have passed in CT) also look at the members of Congress. Most of the Democratic Reps in California could get elected pretty much anywhere in CT, very few of the GOP reps in California would have even a remote chance of getting elected to Congress in CT.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Honestly, I think you might be the confused one about our constitution and foundations here. No offense.

Most of our laws were/are derrived from "moral law" including "don't kill". If one's belief is that a baby is a baby even before it's born, that's killing so yes the government should enforce the law for all and not some.

Our founding fathers were pretty clear that the government would:
Article the third [Amendment I]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
No offense taken,

Ones belief is ones belief, we cannot morrally enforce our beliefs on others. I unquestionably think abortion is a sin. But thats my faith.
Societies laws are not faith based. the state & feds, regardless of the rhetoric, dont consider a fetus a human until its born. If they did they would be assigning SS numbers before birth.
If abortion is murder, then a woman who falls & brings on a misscarriage is guilty of negligent homicide.

As I said, I believe its a sin, but I have little desire to force others to see it my way. If they choose to sin its not my affair. I & my family am my affair.
I may counsel someone against an abortion, but I will never persecute them for believing different than me.

Laws against abortion are always pushed by those with faith based opinions, therefore they would be unconstitutional no? Science is still unclear on the matter.

that said I personally see a great difference between early & late abortions. While I see no societal crime in first trimester abortions I cannot say the same about the more controversial later ones.

but we are drifting far I think from the topic at hand. In that respect I think it a safe bet that if we polled CT residents they will support a right to choose. While I believe that a Conservative stance, most would disagree.

Its impossible to know what the founders would say on the matter, the issue was nonexistant at the time really. I think that if faith based justification was used to push the matter they would err on the side of individual freedom, especial regarding first trimester abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut