Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 05:05 PM

214 posts, read 197,582 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain "Apizza" to me? Admittedly, I'm not Italian so I'm not sure it's some sort of linguistic idiom. Almost all my life I've seen "X's pizza." It wasn't until I moved to CT that I started seeing this Apizza. But if it is an Italian thing, wouldn't more restaurants around the country spell it this way? I was grabbing a "pie" with a friend yesterday at some "Apizza" place and was told that most places just don't make slices alone. I quipped "Maybe I should try some less authentic Italian restaurants."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
I think the term, though I could be wrong, is used exclusively for New Have style, which in my experience is more oblong than round like a NY pie is, and with a slightly charred outer/top crust. There used to be a place near me (over the border in NY) that called themselves "X" Apizza, and though they're no longer in business, their pies were similar in texture and appearance to Pepe's. There's also an apizza place in Stamford near bulls head, but I never tried it -- So I can't say for sure this theory of mine is correct

Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I think the term, though I could be wrong, is used exclusively for New Have style, which in my experience is more oblong than round like a NY pie is, and with a slightly charred outer/top crust. There used to be a place near me (over the border in NY) that called themselves "X" Apizza, and though they're no longer in business, their pies were similar in texture and appearance to Pepe's. There's also an apizza place in Stamford near bulls head, but I never tried it -- So I can't say for sure this theory of mine is correct
In CT, apizza is thin crust. It could be NY or NH style. Modern Apizza, Roseland Apizza, Zuppardi's Apizza/etc.....

Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
In CT, apizza is thin crust. It could be NY or NH style. Modern Apizza, Roseland Apizza, Zuppardi's Apizza/etc.....
Ok thanks! So would colony be considered apizza too? (That's the thinnest of thin crust I've ever had) I like it a lot, but it doesn't remind me of either NY or NH. But I'm kind of craving it right about now though...,Hot oil stinger...

Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Ok thanks! So would colony be considered apizza too? (That's the thinnest of thin crust I've ever had) I like it a lot, but it doesn't remind me of either NY or NH. But I'm kind of craving it right about now though...,Hot oil stinger...
The pizza doesn't define the name. The establishment defines the name. Places that call themselves "...Apizza" make thin-crust pizza. Some of them ALSO make sicilian pizza, which is more like a thick, fluffy dough bread, cooked in a square pan with the toppings and cut into squares. It isn't deep dish pizza though.

But - just because it makes thin crust pizza, doesn't mean the place will be called Apizza. So, "Apizza" with capital A, is just what a given particular establishment will use as part of its name. And then apizza, with a lower-case A, is the term some people use when they're looking for a pizza pie.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The pizza doesn't define the name. The establishment defines the name. Places that call themselves "...Apizza" make thin-crust pizza. Some of them ALSO make sicilian pizza, which is more like a thick, fluffy dough bread, cooked in a square pan with the toppings and cut into squares. It isn't deep dish pizza though.

But - just because it makes thin crust pizza, doesn't mean the place will be called Apizza. So, "Apizza" with capital A, is just what a given particular establishment will use as part of its name. And then apizza, with a lower-case A, is the term some people use when they're looking for a pizza pie.
Confusing! Haha! Yes, I'm most definitely familiar with Sicilian -- I'm from Brooklyn originally, so growing up the only 2 types of slices available to us were either Sicilian or regular. A number of years ago though -- courtesy of Long Island or Queens, I can't remember which -- a new variety hit the NY market: a Grandma Slice, which is most definitely the closest to the homemade pizza I ate at Italian friends' houses when I was a kid. Very close to Sicilian, in shape in particular. (rectangular) But MUCH thinner. And in addition to cheese, it's garnished with fresh basil and fresh garlic. Our local pizzeria in New Fairfield sells it because the owner is from the Bronx. But I'm wondering if this style has hit the rest of CT yet? It's definitely my new second favorite -- bumping Sicilian to number 3 IMO: Regular NYC first choice for me, Grandma second, Sicilian 3rd.

Last edited by Lalalally; 06-24-2014 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM

267 posts, read 447,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Exactly. Italians, former NY'ers etc. tend to assume "we" all speak the same in Ct. or New England. Not so.

Really, these articles make too many generalizations. I haven't heard of most of those terms and our families have been in New England for centuries. They certainly aren't widespread.

"Draw" is just so annoying I now pretend not know what people mean when they say it. "The what?"
My family is Irish-American and I'm a 4th generation Danburian. I grew up saying mozzarella not in the Italian way "mootz-a-dell" but in the way I perceived as the CT-non-Italian way "muhtz-a-rell". I think "mAHtz-a-rell-la sounds very California Valley girl-like.. , but what do I know? I'm just an uneducated "draw"-sayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut