Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 PM

267 posts, read 448,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
They saved Pittsburgh, that was a steel town. The nice thing about small town America is the pride they have for their community. Big cities are very transient, people constantly coming in or going out. There's no sense of community when the people that currently reside don't plan on staying more then 5 years.
Honestly dude, you're gonna go to Torrington and think wtf were they thinking needed to be saved? People in CT are spoiled. If Torrington were in Florida it would be considered a "GEM"…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I like the attitude. Torrington is a little dumpy near downtown, but there are fine areas elsewhere. It's certainly in an area with lots of outdoor activities (Litchfield County). The only thing you're missing is access to the coast and its natural beauty. It's about an hour away.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Anything within an hour drive I'm good with. I have no problem taking hour drives. I like it actually, it's my unwind time, just a guy in his truck listening to some Miranda Lambert.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Honestly dude, you're gonna go to Torrington and think wtf were they thinking needed to be saved? People in CT are spoiled. If Torrington were in Florida it would be considered a "GEM"…
I wouldn't quite go so far as to say it would be considered a gem in FL, but i do agree with the general sentiment that "lessor" towns in CT tend to be unfairly maligned.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I wouldn't quite go so far as to say it would be considered a gem in FL, but i do agree with the general sentiment that "lessor" towns in CT tend to be unfairly maligned.
There are crummy cities that are considered "gems" in Florida simply because they have some remote semblance of a historical value. That's why Torrington would instantly fall under that category, let alone the low crime rate and hills which are unheard of in FL.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Glad we agree though. Stratford is a prime example.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
If I move back up north next summer I have found homes in Torrington for no more then here in Virginia. I saw a piece of land for sale for 35,000, with what I have saved I could buy that cash and still have money left. I read on zillow that CT. will have a 1.3% decrease in home value over the next year, which is good news for new comers, and also read that the town of Torrington has city leaders that care and are doing positive things for the town.

I also read that Torrington has a wonderful theater and country town feel.

I'm not sure what this mass exodus of northerns are, Torrington sounds like a place I would be interested in, never been so I would have to come see, and I saw home prices from 89,000 to 499,000, we have same the price points in Virginia.
I have several friends that live in Torrington. There are some very nice neighborhoods. You are right. You can get a very nice home for less money in Torrington than in many of the nearby towns. This is because it is a more economically diverse community with a higher poverty rate than many of the surrounding towns. This has an adverse affect on the test scores of students on state tests.

I would evaluate Torrington for yourself as many of the people on CD do not understand that some people are not interested in paying significantly more money for a home just to live in a community with better-performing schools. As you mentioned, Torrington does have a downtown with a theater, some nice restaurants and it also is pretty self contained. Most of the major retailers are located there and it is at the foothills of some of the most gorgeous drives and hiking in the state.

The big factor is where you will be working. If you are in the trades, retail, or self-employed Torrington isn't a problem. If you are working in insurance, banking, financial services, etc., then Hartford, New Haven, or the Fairfield county is going to be a better choice.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Both my boys will be high school grads by next summer, the older one of the two actually graduated in 2012.

The drug problem I do see as a negative but as I had mentioned earlier, that's really a nation wide problem. Not to turn my thread into something political but let's just say if I were in charge there would be less Mexicans and South Americans in our country, drugs are imported, and the majority of them come from those 2 places.

Nothing against diversity or different cultures, I actually had a really good friend from Mexico, hard working and educated, but facts or facts, and Mexico and South America are drug producers.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Valley Towns (Seymour, Shelton, etc), Southington, etc.
You won't get much for your money in Seymour and Shelton anymore. Certainly not as cheap as Torrington.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Wow, 5 pages in one evening. The problem with Torrington is proximity to major employment centers. There are just not a lot of jobs that are easy to get to from there. The East Side of Torrington, called Torringford, has become an affordable distant suburb of Hartford. There are a number of newer homes there and there is a strip of new shopping centers as well. But the problem is that getting to Hartford involves using two lane roads that have a lot of traffic on them. It is at least an hour drive.

Where you should live should likely depend on where you work. You would want to be as close to a job as possible. ONce that is established we can then better recommend where to look. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut