Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times

Advertisements

Torrington has been struggling with revitalization, although several groups have been trying for a decade or two. Torrington's property taxes are high, and the city has not been well run.

The area through is very conducive for outdoors activities, but on summer weekend days, you will not be able to get to the CT Ocean beaches in 60 minutes. Maybe 1:15 to 1:30 to Milford. Although the drive from Torrington to Waterbury on CT-8 is very pretty.

All of this is moot, since proximity to your job should dictate where you look. The major CT highways are congested during commuting times, and secondary arteries get the overflow.

In comparison to the downriver valley towns, such as Seymour, Shelton, Ansonia, Torrington is cooler in the summer, and colder in the winter.

Winchester / Winsted, 10 miles north of Torrington has less of a drug problem, and less of amenities, and less property tax, and more remoteness. Home prices are about the same.

But, again, where will you work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wow, 5 pages in one evening. The problem with Torrington is proximity to major employment centers. There are just not a lot of jobs that are easy to get to from there. The East Side of Torrington, called Torringford, has become an affordable distant suburb of Hartford. There are a number of newer homes there and there is a strip of new shopping centers as well. But the problem is that getting to Hartford involves using two lane roads that have a lot of traffic on them. It is at least an hour drive.

Where you should live should likely depend on where you work. You would want to be as close to a job as possible. ONce that is established we can then better recommend where to look. Jay
I believe he is an auto mechanic IIRC. I don't know much about the industry, but intuitively I feel like he would be well served in a suburb. I always stay local for that sort of thing as well as everyone I know.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The area through is very conducive for outdoors activities, but on summer weekend days, you will not be able to get to the CT Ocean beaches in 60 minutes. Maybe 1:15 to 1:30 to Milford. Although the drive from Torrington to Waterbury on CT-8 is very pretty.
Depending on where in Torrington it is very doable in an hour. I'm 15 minutes south of Torrington and I get to the beaches in 45 minutes.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I'm an outsider obviously but Torrington looks like a fun place

City Canvas - City of Torrington, Connecticut - YouTube
They are certainly trying to make a lively downtown. The Mayor is new blood. I would not let the nay-sayers discourage you. My brother and uncle live in Torrington and run businesses.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Depending on where in Torrington it is very doable in an hour. I'm 15 minutes south of Torrington and I get to the beaches in 45 minutes.
How do you go? I always have trouble from Shelton to Milford, either through 34 or 110 and the Connector. On Saturdays, usually.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
They are certainly trying to make a lively downtown. The Mayor is new blood. I would not let the nay-sayers discourage you. My brother and uncle live in Torrington and run businesses.
I don't think people are trying to just be "nay sayers". He's planning to make a big move from VA to CT which is a big life change on many levels so people are giving him the scoop. It would be awful if he moved to torrington and hated it because a bunch of people mislead him with local pride. He should know all the facts before moving.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Correct, the new 28-year old mayor is trying to improve, and although I appreciate the hurrah, facts are hard and cold. Poverty rate is high. Budget Deficit is 3-4 billion. Public obligations Debt / unfunded liabilities are high. There is no economic catalyst, like a Yale. No wonder taxes are high in Torrington, and aren't getting any less.

UConn getting there, as in Hartford's downtown is nice, but CT's finances are not sparkling either, for UConn to play Yale in the neighborhoods.

Face the truths. The road for the devastated Northern industrial cities is long and hard. Some may or may not recover. Take Pittsfield, MA as an example. They are playing the Berkshire Card -- artsy, creative, remote -- Pittsfield has had some mixed success. Some call it the Brooklyn of New England. Yet, many cities haven't been able to find that niche. CT is filled with them -- Bridgeport, New London, Waterbury, Meriden, New Britain, etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Having worked in Torrington, I slap down anyone that tries to tell me Waterbury or Naugatuck are the pits. At least those two places have things going for them. I'm sure Torrington has something going for it, but I haven't seen it. While it may be due to my job, I was initially shocked at how bad some of the drug abuse is in Torrington. Of course that exists everywhere, but it stood out to me more in Torrington...felt like I was in a Pac Northwest meth capital. Just my biased opinion.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Electorate in CT, Torrington included, does not have the appetite for these changes. It means cuts in programs, public employee spending, pension cuts, section 8. You really think people in Torrington will like these? Until then, Torrington will keep nudging the property tax 3% - 4% percent every year.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-23-2014 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic discussion

Old 06-23-2014, 01:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Thread closed for moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut