Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Wow. I think you're definitely exaggerating the situation. Thousands and thousands of people will park there with no issue.
I suspect cops will be there in force, but hundreds, not thousands, will be there. Today's theatres are small individually, not like Showcase Orange decades back. Last 2 times at Milford theatres at mall, I doubt on a weekend, there were more than 500 people combined..at what is it..14 screens.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:27 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I suspect cops will be there in force, but hundreds, not thousands, will be there. Today's theatres are small individually, not like Showcase Orange decades back. Last 2 times at Milford theatres at mall, I doubt on a weekend, there were more than 500 people combined..at what is it..14 screens.
There are definitely more movie theater options these days than back in the days when Showcase dominated the market. You had a couple of smaller locally owned theaters that ran second run movies but that was about it. We would drive up to Orange to see the latest movies and get stuck in a long line of traffic trying to get off the exit. The same thing was true in the Hartford area with the East Hartford Showcase being the only theaters in the entire region. It was great that other theaters eventually got built and now we have MANY options not too far. I am concerned that these new theaters in Bridgeport will lose out to the suburban theaters but we will see. Jay

Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There are definitely more movie theater options these days than back in the days when Showcase dominated the market. You had a couple of smaller locally owned theaters that ran second run movies but that was about it. We would drive up to Orange to see the latest movies and get stuck in a long line of traffic trying to get off the exit. The same thing was true in the Hartford area with the East Hartford Showcase being the only theaters in the entire region. It was great that other theaters eventually got built and now we have MANY options not too far. I am concerned that these new theaters in Bridgeport will lose out to the suburban theaters but we will see. Jay
Movies are also getting released faster for home viewing, sometimes almost concurrent with theatre showings, so people watch via PPV..

And there are no more projector employees (its done via computer programming now), so headcount is lower, meaning the few hundred of us in Milford are plenty to keep it operating profitably.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:55 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Vandalism reported at Bass Pro Shop - Connecticut Post

Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
And this is a surprise??? Jay

Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And this is a surprise??? Jay
Sadly it isn't which gives me less hope this project will succeed. Until the area is as safe as nearby suburbs, the suburbanites will not shop there in huge numbers.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
I wonder how the top Bass Pro Shop CEO's reacted to this?
*Alright, which one you picked Bridgeport?*

I know for a fact this store won't be nearly as successful as when Cabelas open in East Hartford back in 2007. There were lines to Rentschler Field for over a week. Just a pure horror show. They made over 3 million dollars on the weekends. The reason why it was so success because it was the first store in New England and the second in the Northeast. There are already too many stores in the northeast for Bass Pro Shops. I believe they're opening 3 more stores in New York and one in central New Jersey? Either way it'll die down within a few weeks of its opening day. I don't think it'll be as touristy as people think.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:53 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Sadly it isn't which gives me less hope this project will succeed. Until the area is as safe as nearby suburbs, the suburbanites will not shop there in huge numbers.
Seriously please cease the BS. Baltimore's Inner Harbor was a similar situation, and now it could be said that Camden Yard is benefiting from it rather than other way around. By all accounts it has been an extreme success. Or the area over the Big Dig. Or San Francisco, Stamford, or NYC as whole cities. Those with vision have had the last laugh. Heck, even Front Street in Hartford is picking up and something to be proud of (even if it really should have a lot more housing).

Things get tagged EVERYWHERE (I'm in work sites all over Connecticut), and theft is super common even in "safe suburbs." The fact you don't either see that or ignore it means you are beyond biased to the point of delusional.

At the risk of a warning your constant derogatory and baseless sentiments are tiring. I know I know... if it bothers me I should just move on but god, one slight ray of hope of my city turning around (even the way I wouldn't prefer, I'm for much more density and a variety of developers) and people not even from here with absolutely zero at stake in the community poo poo it out of hand. And absolutely more times than not it comes down to basic racism and classism. We need a significant less of that in this country and state.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 PM

830 posts, read 684,613 times

Vandalism reported at Bass Pro Shop - Connecticut Post

Old 08-21-2015, 09:52 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Looks really nice so far. When's opening day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut