Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times

Advertisements

Ok so we moved to Florida in April, registered our vehicles here, mailed back the CT plates for both vehicles, and shortly thereafter received confirmation that the plates have been received and registrations cancelled. Should I expect a car tax bill yet again?

It cost us about 900 for new registrations forvboth vehicles here, as a one time transfer of registration, but going forward registrations are fairly cheap, and no car tax, but I really don't want another car tax bill again from a state I have zero ties to now. We sold our home there and rented for a while before moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:21 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
You will probably still receive a Town tax bill. Here is what Farmington says about it.
"
I recently returned my license plates to DMV and was told to contact my local Town Assessor. What do I have to do now?
  • If the vehicle was sold, stolen, totaled, junked, donated, repossessed or registered in another state, you may be entitled to an assessment adjustment on the vehicle in question. Please see the required documentation for motor vehicle assessment changes for further information. Please note: DMV does NOT notify the towns each time a registration is cancelled."

Look up your former Town's website for their info on the situation.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
I wish I could tell you they won't, but they will. Taxes are the only certainty in life. He'll, even after death they come after your assets.

Hopefully they don't know where to send the bill to good luck

Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Please note: DMV does NOT notify the towns each time a registration is cancelled."
In the computer/internet era, that is inexcusable.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:22 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
Well I know I will not owe a full years worth, it is ridiculous move out of state and still owe car taxes...our taxes are one of the reasons we left. I will mail copies of the cancellation to the town we live in along with copies of the registrations for Florida if/when we get a tax bill..it's like wecjust can't get away from them. And if we didn't pay the bill, would they come after us or notify Florida?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Well I know I will not owe a full years worth, it is ridiculous move out of state and still owe car taxes...our taxes are one of the reasons we left. I will mail copies of the cancellation to the town we live in along with copies of the registrations for Florida if/when we get a tax bill..it's like wecjust can't get away from them. And if we didn't pay the bill, would they come after us or notify Florida?
I can't imagine ct has any jurisdiction in Florida. If they tried contact a Florida tax authority they would tell them to bigger off. However, the ct taxes will be outstanding. Best bet would be to pay it and be done with it if they find your new address.

CT is the last loser here since they will no longer collect tens of thousands of your dollars. Shame on them fir their out of control spending.Your not alone. Enjoy your new life.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
You will probably still receive a Town tax bill.
Probably. It took us several months after our move before we were completely done with the car tax system.

Well, I hope we're done.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:51 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
This NY Times article about CT car taxes that haunt people for years is 8 years old, but looks to be just as valid today regarding the issues involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/ny...ted=print&_r=0

Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
This NY Times article about CT car taxes that haunt people for years is 8 years old, but looks to be just as valid today regarding the issues involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/ny...ted=print&_r=0
Wow. The state governmnet (just like the IRS) are a bunch of thugs.

OP, it ain't worth the damage to credit score. You're better off staying on top of it and sending your check in along with a letter telling them why you left and why they will never see another dime of your money. Send a copy of that same letter to your former representative and senator along with the governor.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
You don't have to pay the full car tax. You call them and send proof the plates are returned and then you get a pro-rated much reduced tax owing that should be much less and then you just owe for the portion of the tax assessment year between the start and the day you moved to Florida.

Connecticut tends to bill car taxes 18-20 months AFTER the tax assessment year starts

If you buy a car in October 2012, you pay car tax for October 1st 2012 thru September 30th 2013 then your bill is due July 2014 and first get billed June 2014.

If you buy a car during April-September 2012 your first town bill is due January 2014 and bill comes in December 2013.

Sometimes what the state does though is gives you your second car tax bill 6 months after your first car tax bill and then skips 1 or 2 more years till you see the third tax bill. I think it's always the first tax bill that lags behind in due date.

It's not the state that's corrupt here it's the town Govt and it's not like anyone is doing this and saying hahahahaha; it's a computerized processing system. If you have a complaint you can call them

Last edited by EricS39; 07-01-2014 at 05:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: