Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
However going to an elite school and majoring British art history with a minor in German literature will probably get you an 11.50 an hour job with a debt load you will never be able to pay back.
We have family members that did this. Two kids went to expensive private liberal arts college for some obscure degree with little job prospects. One kid went to work on an organic farm for a couple of years after gradfuating before realizing that they could not make a decent living wage. Now they are going to nursing school, another expensive educational cost. The other kid majored in a foreign language and after a year of not being able to find work, is teaching in Europe at a very minimal wage. They are still not sure what to do for the long term. Not my idea of a good use of an expensive education. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The fact is college education helps. There are successful people in every major and some real lunks in pre-professional majors.
I couldn't agree more.

When I was talking about getting my MBA I was told do it while your young, but then I started to complain about how much it would cost. Someone (I believe at UNH) told me that once your education is completed and that piece of paper is on your wall NO ONE can ever take it away. If you get divorced, loss your job or loss all your money you WILL always have your MBA. Looking at it that way made me realize that education is very important.

I'm not going to lie, it has helped me get some "prospects" that I don't think I would have obtain otherwise.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

When I was talking about getting my MBA I was told do it while your young, but then I started to complain about how much it would cost. Someone (I believe at UNH) told me that once your education is completed and that piece of paper is on your wall NO ONE can ever take it away. If you get divorced, loss your job or loss all your money you WILL always have your MBA. Looking at it that way made me realize that education is very important.

I'm not going to lie, it has helped me get some "prospects" that I don't think I would have obtain otherwise.
That's true, and even if you are jobless on the street addicted to crack you will "still have your MBA. Greg Giraldo (RIP) was a hilarious raunchy pseudo celebrity, but most of all, he was a drug addict with not much money who had a Harvard Law degree.

Life is what you make it. You're clearly motivated, intelligent and have a good work ethic. Your education will only augment your success and create more opportunity. There are people in this world you could hand a check for one million dollars along with a diploma from Yale University and they would still manage to be a broke deadbeat in a year. It's all about direction and knowing what you want in life. Money and education just make the ride smoother.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
My network of professionals are ex-military, college grads, and people in the skilled trades. My alumni is broad but I got an opportunity of a lifetime not because of college, but because I'm an honorably discharged veteran with a technical background.

I got into the Audi military veterans program. Audi schools, professional industry certification, all paid for by Audi.

However since I was a kid I've been car crazy, it's actually a pathetic addiction. I knew I wanted to do something with cars and I started out at 11.50 an hour, I stayed with it, worked my butt off, cussed out Fords, got dirty, and had a few cars hand me my butt over the years.

Today I make 26.50 and hour, was moved up to a team leader position, manage the inspection station and what I love most about what I do is I get to mentor younger folks interested in the automotive industry.

The one thing I found most important about success is you have enjoy what you do. That passion will push you upward.

Like I had said earlier. College is a noble ambition, some careers require you to have a degree. But the best advice I can give a younger person is enjoy what you do, college is surely one way to success, but it's not the only way.

Last edited by Armyvet1; 07-09-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
WThe other kid majored in a foreign language and after a year of not being able to find work, is teaching in Europe at a very minimal wage. They are still not sure what to do for the long term. Not my idea of a good use of an expensive education. Jay
That's odd. Foreign language teachers are often needed so badly in the public school system, that the school boards suspend rules about retirees who already started taking a pension, coming back and teaching because they cant find someone suitable to fill the spot.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:59 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
That's odd. Foreign language teachers are often needed so badly in the public school system, that the school boards suspend rules about retirees who already started taking a pension, coming back and teaching because they cant find someone suitable to fill the spot.
I know science and math teachers are in short supply but never heard that about foreign language teachers. I know he was home in MA for a year without working before going to Europe. Not sure why. Jay

Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 PM

101 posts, read 111,840 times
Do you also need a teaching degree to teach foreign language? Or is a degree in that language sufficient?

Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
They would need a foreign language education degree. I have a degree in bio and math. I wouldn't be allowed to teach either.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:59 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
They would need a foreign language education degree. I have a degree in bio and math. I wouldn't be allowed to teach either.
Are you sure about that, Sigequinox? Even with a degree in math and bio? I ask because I was at a party a long while back and a teacher in a major city (I can't remember, maybe NYC?) had said they needed teachers in those subjects so badly for Spanish speaking students that they would take a non-education graduate. He said they would hire someone with any major at all, as long as that individual could speak Spanish, and that the school system would tell you what to teach them.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Are you sure about that, Sigequinox? Even with a degree in math and bio? I ask because I was at a party a long while back and a teacher in a major city (I can't remember, maybe NYC?) had said they needed teachers in those subjects so badly for Spanish speaking students that they would take a non-education graduate. He said they would hire someone with any major at all, as long as that individual could speak Spanish, and that the school system would tell you what to teach them.
My knowledge in education industry is very limited, but from what I know, yes. Maybe some schools have enough authority to lift such requirements for really dire situations. Many NYC schools are falling apart, the student teacher ratio awful, and many of the kids are going off to college with math/science competencies far behind their suburban collegiate peers. Though I'm not sure if those schools are making it better or worse by allowing "anyone" in.

IMO, the ability to teach is something you are more or less born with, not something you learn in school. So yes, there are a ton of people out there with non education based degrees that would make incredible educators. However, they would be much better served with training specific to the level at which they will teach.

I tutored all through college and I can tell you I would NOT want to teach HS or MS. When doing so at college level you have students with a foundation of knowledge. Teaching kids something for the FIRST time ever is an art, and an important one. I can only assume that getting a degree in education trains you specifically on just that. IMO, it's much easier to teach a college student calculus than to explain to a child the concept of zero. Or to explain subfunctionalization mechanism of genetic variance than the concept of an atom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut