Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 12,256 times

Advertisements

I am graduating this May from a school around the NYC area. I will be starting a new job in the Hartford area this summer. I recently made a trip there to find bars, nightclubs, and general places 20-somethings would hang out at. The waitress I spoke to said there's not much to do except the couple of bars around that area and she herself couldn't wait to get out of CT. It was very honest and definitely appreciated. Is this really the case? I couldn't imagine there was nowhere that people my age were hanging out at besides restaurants. I know it would definitely be a change from NYC.

Can anyone recommend 1) an area that has a good night life and good crowd or 2) a living area where I can find the same. Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 AM

639 posts, read 2,699,829 times
Downtown Hartford has plenty of bars and clubs/lounges for people in their 20's. Many kids from UConn, Trinity, Wesleyan, ect... go to Hartford for nightlife. Some of the better bars are near Union Station area.

Black Eyes Sally's is a cool blues bar that is similar to a House of Blues but smaller in venue size. They get some real good acts there if you are into live music. Upstairs Pigs Eyes Pub is for the younger crowd and gets crazy and fun on the weekends.

During the week there won't be as much going on as Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. After all Hartford isn't on par with NYC or L.A., but most cities are not in that league anyways.

Room 960 in the old G. Fox building is Hartford's best club/lounge and gets some of the worlds best DJ's. The DJ's you would normally find in NYC and L.A. go to this Hartford club. http://www.room960.com/

If you are into comedy, City Steam is fun to go to. Also they have good beer. It is closer to Room 960/Constitution plaza.
http://www.citysteambrewerycafe.com/

Joe Blacks is good on Pratt Street.

Down in Middletown, Harbor Park is fun during the summer.

In Farmington I have heard decent things about Zen bar but have never been there. It is out by the UConn Medical Center.

For a city the size of Hartford the bar scene is not bad, there is always room for improvement. As more young professionals move into downtown it will only get better in coming years. Hartford is as good and in some cases better than Providence and has more to offer than New Haven, although New Haven does have some good spots worth going to.

Here is a good link for some ideas. I don't believe everything is listed here but a good amount is.

http://www.metrocrawl.com/content/venues.php?city=1

Last edited by uconn99; 12-19-2007 at 12:41 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 23,422 times
bounca bounca bounca bounca bounce!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,256 times
That's great to hear that there is a nightlife; maybe I just spoke to the wrong people while I was there. Those places/sites you pointed me to are great. I'm into all types of music and different environments (bar, club, lounge), so I don't mind trying out new places to meet people.

I'll be working in Windsor Locks and I'm still not sure if I would be living there. Hopefully I get a roommate, but if I was to live in a single, probably $800/mo would be my budget. Nightlife is important to me, but I don't mind driving a few miles to get to bars, etc. I guess just the everyday surroundings and people would take priority; I'd like to live in a neighborhood with other young professionals.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM

639 posts, read 2,699,829 times
If you get a roommate live downtown. $1300-$1500 should get a you a decent 2 bedroom.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 65,820 times
Sully's in Hartford has great live music every single week. Definitely check out Otherwise, Starship, and Fungus Amungus. Great bands!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 PM

578 posts, read 2,090,493 times
Let me ask...how much worse is Hartford's nightlife than Boston?
I'm a pretty shy grad student going to be at UCONN...where should I live so I can meet others my age and replicate what I got out of Boston?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:07 AM

625 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Boston's nightlife and Hartford's nightlife aren't really comparable, simply because the cities are much different sizes. I lived in Boston during my early-to-mid-twenties. The nightlife in Hartford can't compare to the different sections and options of Boston. That being said, what Hartford offers supports the population and demographics of the area.

Downtown Hartford will offer you good access to meeting other young professionals and students, but the commute to Storrs might not be fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut