Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 AM

137 posts, read 177,021 times

Advertisements

Meant to include this in my last post. When you have visitors take a trip across the CT river on the longest running ferry in the US (located in south Glastonbury a quick drive through gorgeous countryside). There is a great little restaurant that just opened on the other side, you can eat outside and enjoy true New England small town living!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,955,909 times
Glastonbury has a population of 34,000 or so, which is more than the city of New London, which has 28,000. Maybe compared to Manhattan or Chicago it's a small town, but it's a relatively big town in Connecticut.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
I would not worry about snobby people. They are few and far between and spread out among the population in town. You will likely just encounter them at a store or bar. Glastonbury has a lot of different people in it so you are bound to find people you are comfortable with.

There use to be a singles mixer held at the Gallery Restaurant regularly. I don't know if they still have them or if you would be interested. You might want to look into that as a way to meet people. Just a thought. Jay

Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 PM

98 posts, read 111,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Glastonbury has a population of 34,000 or so, which is more than the city of New London, which has 28,000. Maybe compared to Manhattan or Chicago it's a small town, but it's a relatively big town in Connecticut.
As I said I am coming from NYC, so yes it's a small town to someone who has spent all her life in a borough made up of 2.5 million people.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepa513 View Post
As I said I am coming from NYC, so yes it's a small town to someone who has spent all her life in a borough made up of 2.5 million people.
yes, compared to NYC it's a small town. Heck, 34,000 is a good sized apartment complex in China...

However, I was responding more to the other person in the thread who mentioned Glastonbury as a small town.

Your original post was a few months ago - how do you like Glastonbury so far?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM

98 posts, read 111,578 times
It's been an adjustment to say the least. The town is very pretty but the people are sorta of interesting. The town is mainly couples and those w children so if you are single or w out kids it's a hard place to fit in. Thankfully I work a lot in another town so I'm busy w work and on the weekends I try to go home to see my fam and friends as much as possible if I don't have work events. My few new friends here in town are others who just moved to town as well. The town is really nice though and I'm glad to have so many amenities right near by. Thanks for asking.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It's been an adjustment to say the least. The town is very pretty but the people are sorta of interesting. The town is mainly couples and those w children so if you are single or w out kids it's a hard place to fit in. Thankfully I work a lot in another town so I'm busy w work and on the weekends I try to go home to see my fam and friends as much as possible if I don't have work events. My few new friends here in town are others who just moved to town as well. The town is really nice though and I'm glad to have so many amenities right near by. Thanks for asking.
well, good thing you didn't go to a really small town nearby then, like Marlborough (pop 6,500 or so) or Andover (pop 3,400 or so)

Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM

691 posts, read 1,149,655 times
Glastonbury is the most desirable town in the state.

Very centrally located, with great highway access. Homes tend to be newer builds. A good amount of open space in the eastern/southern portion of the town, as well as plenty of retail in the northern part. Schools are pretty much unsurpassed, without dealing with anywhere the degree of snobbery that you'd find on the western end of the state.

The only negative is the price tag. While very reasonable relative to the other metro areas in the BosWash corridor, a nice (newer build) condo runs $250-300k, and one of the nice homes in the subdivisions along exit 10 are in the 500-600k range.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,122 times
Quote:
I've lived in Glastonbury since age 3, and am single and in my early 30's, and I must say that I have NEVER felt like Ive had difficulty "fitting in".

Maybe I'm acclimated, and have a "blind spot" to it since I don't know much differently, but I doubt anyone holds it against me that I'm not married without kids.

Devil's advocate.....even if they did, i'd just laugh, as its a sure sign that they are far from content with their own circumstances

Old 01-25-2015, 04:18 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,116 times
Quote:
Good to hear you are (sort of) adjusting. While certainly not true for everyone, the main reason people move into Glastonbury is for the schools. When you can have some of the best schools and also having a concentration of some of the best restaurants in the area it's no wonder it's in high demand for well to do families and couples looking to settle in for family life. It's also not all that expensive when you consider these things and compare it to other nice suburban towns in NY, CT, MA but you certainly pay a premium for the schools.

However, if you have no kids and no roots or friends in the town, it's a less logical choice.

Personally, I would long for a real town center with real activity (even if small) and less dependence on a car to get everywhere. Without factoring commuting time, I would favor West Hartford as a more logical choice if I were in your shoes. I would imagine that it would be much easier to make friends with single people. Living alone, I would much prefer living in an area where you can walk out of your home to a relatively vibrant area of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and other things where you can wander without necessarily having a real purpose - for example, after work or in the odd couple of hours when you are not working on the weekends. For this, a shopping mall or strip mall doesn't cut it for me. When you are living somewhere where you need to get into a car to do most anything, you need more of a purpose when you go out (unless you want to just drive around alone). I would, therefore, find myself staying home alone more in this situation. Perhaps I'd want to get out of the house but I wouldn't really be sure where to drive to so I'd just stay home. Everyone is different but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut