Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,350,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
It's changed in less than 2 years, going from (in my opinion) not that bad, to the worst highway in the state?
Not as bad as 95, but is the busiest highway in the state of CT (175K).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
What do you guys think about taking local roads from Newtown all the way to Stamford? The one that passes through New Canaan?
I did it when traffic was heavy. Less aggravation, but it takes a long time.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:36 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,940,550 times
A long commute is anything over an hour. An ideal commute is 30 min or less.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,955,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Not as bad as 95, but is the busiest highway in the state of CT (175K).
doesn't 84 in the Hartford area also have more lanes than most of 95 in Connecticut, so it can handle a greater volume of traffic more easily than 95?

I drove 84 into Hartford (or through to Glastonbury) for most of 5 years from 2007 till the end of July 2012 and the only times I really hit heavy traffic (stop & go, or even below 40-50mph) was when there was an accident or road construction.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,804,893 times
A short commute is anything under 1/2 hour. long commute is anything more than 1/2 hour. How far you commute is up to you and how important it is to your quality of life, you can either live close to work, or far away.

I work for myself, and rent office space, so I rented near my home, and my commute is about 7 minutes by car, 15 by bicycle.

My wife works for an employer and has to drive on I-95, which for her can range from 30 minutes to 45 minutes, and longer with bad traffic.

I would rather commute to Hartford, because I think you can buy homes around and near Hartford for less than around and near Stamford.

Quote:
So, I want to get a general feel from this board. What would you guys describe as a long commute? Ideally, everyone would like a 0 min commute time, I imagine lol, but, realistically speaking, what do you guys think is perfect? A better question is probably what your maximum limit would be for commute? I think around 1 hour is maximum for me. 2 hour total is too much, but if the job is good, I can definitely manage around there.

Also, if you guys lived in Newtown (exit 10/11 off I-84), would you rather commute to Stamford (Harbor Point Road) or Hartford (Asylum St), and why?

Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,350,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
doesn't 84 in the Hartford area also have more lanes than most of 95 in Connecticut, so it can handle a greater volume of traffic more easily than 95?

I drove 84 into Hartford (or through to Glastonbury) for most of 5 years from 2007 till the end of July 2012 and the only times I really hit heavy traffic (stop & go, or even below 40-50mph) was when there was an accident or road construction.
Anyone who says Hartford is worse than 95 or the Merritt is an idiot.

That said, the time I drove from Fairfield to Worcester at rush hour (2013), Hartford in both directions was slammed (stop & go).

Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 PM

678 posts, read 846,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I think it would take a long time. Are you thinking of taking 84 to route 7 to route 35, through Ridgefield and then south Salem, to the road which eventually becomes High Ridge Road? Or is there another route you're thinking of? I commute to Stamford from New Fairfield. Fastest route for me I've found, if there is no traffic, is taking 684 to exit 4. (Bedford), to 172/22, to Long Ridge Road, and down into Stamford. On a good day (which most are), it takes me 55 minutes. If I know ahead of time that there is traffic on 684 though, I will take back roads the whole way down, which will add about 10 minutes, but at least I am moving. Because you would also have to include I-84 traffic into the mix, I would imagine you'll probably have to add 15-20 minutes based on where in Newtown you're located.
I checked Google Maps periodically today, especially during rush hour. Here's the local road map I got out. It would take 75 mins on average. But, it's pretty constant. It only changes by 5 or so minutes during rush hour.

From Newtown: Get on Main Street Newtown--->Route 302--->Route 107--->Route 7--->Route 106--->Route 1--->Harbor Point Road.

That's about it. I'm skipping a couple roads, cause you're only on it for like a minute.

Google maps says both places are roughly 50 minutes away from Newtown. It recommends I-84 to Hartford and Route 25 to I-95 for Stamford. This is of course, during a good hour. I-95/Merritt is generally more terrible, but with the construction in Waterbury(?), I-84 is a gridlock in several spots. If that corridor can clear up, I-84 doesn't seem to be too bad, I think. The local routes to Hartford to Newtown is long unlike Stamford to Newtown, not to mention, there are several ways to get from Stamford to Newtown since we're sitting diagonal instead of more East/West with Newtown/Hartford.

For those that are curious, I ask this question, cause, I'm looking for a job that's situated in these two cities. Being in the middle, I didn't know which one would be a better choice. I'm leaning towards Stamford, because, if I ever want to escape to the City after work, Stamford is a much easier commute/train than Hartford.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,189 times
Quote:
I checked Google Maps periodically today, especially during rush hour. Here's the local road map I got out. It would take 75 mins on average. But, it's pretty constant. It only changes by 5 or so minutes during rush hour.

From Newtown: Get on Main Street Newtown--->Route 302--->Route 107--->Route 7--->Route 106--->Route 1--->Harbor Point Road.

That's about it. I'm skipping a couple roads, cause you're only on it for like a minute.

Google maps says both places are roughly 50 minutes away from Newtown. It recommends I-84 to Hartford and Route 25 to I-95 for Stamford. This is of course, during a good hour. I-95/Merritt is generally more terrible, but with the construction in Waterbury(?), I-84 is a gridlock in several spots. If that corridor can clear up, I-84 doesn't seem to be too bad, I think. The local routes to Hartford to Newtown is long unlike Stamford to Newtown, not to mention, there are several ways to get from Stamford to Newtown since we're sitting diagonal instead of more East/West with Newtown/Hartford.

For those that are curious, I ask this question, cause, I'm looking for a job that's situated in these two cities. Being in the middle, I didn't know which one would be a better choice. I'm leaning towards Stamford, because, if I ever want to escape to the City after work, Stamford is a much easier commute/train than Hartford.
I did both of those commutes. You'll get heartily sick of either one from Newtown if you do it long.

You could move close enough to Hartford to make that one bearable, but it is much more expensive to live near Stamford.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,187 times
Quote:

For a Stamford commute, try shifting your google map to 124/high Ridge Road. Mileage wise it will definitely be more, but timing wise I think it will be better than 106 and 1 - Route 1 especially would scare me during rush hour. I think from your location, I'm envisioning 84 to 7 to 35 to 124 (?) -- this is the route number I'm not familiar with or 100% sure of. It could possibly be 137, maybe? In any event, it's whatever the route number that belongs to High Ridge Road. You're going to want to pass the fancy vet clinic and the old JP Morgan estate, which I think might be a French restaurant these days, in south Salem (on 35) and then make a left onto whatever the road number high ridge is. You'll first come through pound ridge and then cross over to north Stamford. Then it's a straight shot down without much traffic. That said, for some reason my gut disagrees with you and I thinks Hartford might be a better commute from Newtown than Stamford would be. Good luck either way though!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 AM

25 posts, read 35,747 times
I used to commute Newtown (Boggs Hill area) -> Stamford.

Originally worked south of 95, which meant a minimum 1hr 15min commute, then office moved to Glenbrook, which improved options and timings.

Had a couple of variations, going down Poverty Hollow, then down the Newtown Turnpike, then 53, then 106 through New Canaan, or doing 58 to 136, then the Merritt.

You work out a number of options and depending on day/time of year, switch between them (e.g, Friday morning get on the Merritt as quickly as you can; Friday night go up through 106 avoiding Merritt. 95 etc).

Would take a little over an hour, unless you get caught behind a school bus. If I had a late night, could be home in 50 mins, but that was rare...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut