Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Is this for real? They must have drove around NY somehow. Sure, CT roads are bad, but LI and the city are AWFUL. The Cross Island Parkway is like playing " Anti-Whack-a-mole" at 60 miles an hour....if your lucky enough to not be in gridlock traffic. The same could be said of about 70% of the LIE, Southern State Parkway, and 40% of the Northern State along with an unmeasurable amount of auxiliary and residential roads.

Total hogwash, this report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I actually agree.

I have traveled the country extensively, by car, and I honestly think that the highways in CT are pretty good now, for the most part.

The worst roads I have ever driven in the country are in Westchester County, NY. Absolutely terrible. Potholes, cracks and undulating surfaces everywhere. It's a disaster.

But still....seems like CT is always ranking in the WORST of every list these days! Business growth, roads, retention of young people, job creation, cost of living.....my GOD!!
Don't forget, NY is a big state. What probably kept its score up was from upstate (Adirondack Northway, NY Throughway, I-81, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:30 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Don't forget, NY is a big state. What probably kept its score up was from upstate (Adirondack Northway, NY Throughway, I-81, etc).
Been up there too. Go once a year, and it isn't much better. Maybe "dirt roads' don't count. I didn't read the methodology so not sure.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:31 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
This I agree with. CT roads don't seem too bad to me. NY, Westchester to be exact, roads are way worse than here. Hands down.

I guess u has'nt drive around hartford, meriden, bridgeport, new haven, new britain, east hartford

Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,112 times
Quote:
Been up there too. Go once a year, and it isn't much better. Maybe "dirt roads' don't count. I didn't read the methodology so not sure.
I-787, Albany, NY
I-87, Whole Stretch Is Good Except Major Deegan
I-84, All across NY except Newburgh
I-90, MA-PA Border
I-81, Whole Stretch
I-95, Part New England Throughway

Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
CT has a decent amount of road jobs out to bid now. Some are designed already and ready for the shovel the others need to be designed. Hopefully the little issue of congress letting the highway fund go belly up will not happen. I read somewhere if that does happen it could cost 9,500 jobs. Which would be a major blow to our already limping economy.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
CT has a decent amount of road jobs out to bid now. Some are designed already and ready for the shovel the others need to be designed. Hopefully the little issue of congress letting the highway fund go belly up will not happen. I read somewhere if that does happen it could cost 9,500 jobs. Which would be a major blow to our already limping economy.

Congress got 3 weeks August is the deadline I think they going cut funding in half or something

Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 PM

CT highways ranked sixth worst in nation | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Is this for real? They must have drove around NY somehow. Sure, CT roads are bad, but LI and the city are AWFUL. The Cross Island Parkway is like playing " Anti-Whack-a-mole" at 60 miles an hour....if your lucky enough to not be in gridlock traffic. The same could be said of about 70% of the LIE, Southern State Parkway, and 40% of the Northern State along with an unmeasurable amount of auxiliary and residential roads.

Total hogwash, this report.
Yeah, and even many upstate NY roads I've been on are absolutely atrocious. Everything from NYC into 95 in Westchester is abhorrent. You can literally BREAK your car on those roads, reliably.

Our roads are well paved, but we haven't met traffic demands very well. And we do have a lot of outdated bridges/infrastructure. Our railway is sadly behind the times as well, as everyone knows.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
So the states that get the least in both Congressional and DOT funding for roadways have the worst roads? And the ones that pay the least but get nearly 2.25:1 have the best? Colour me shocked.
Agreed.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT is dead tie with Rhode Island worst roads and bridges in the nation.

Are u shock by this report by the White House

Citing a number of reports that paint a dreary picture of the nation's infrastructure, the Obama administration Monday unveiled a $300 billion plan to improve roads and bridges nationwide.

Connecticut was identified as having the worst roads in the nation -- 41 percent rated "poor," tied with Rhode Island -- according to an analysis by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

The report also pointed to the nation's deficient and obsolete bridges, saying the economic effects of the aging infrastructure are far-reaching.

White House Report: Connecticut's Roads Worst In U.S. - Courant.com
The roads are worse in Quebec and overseas. Our roads though are old but nothing you can't drive on. The bridge being referred to is the Hartford I-84 viaduct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut