Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:49 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times

Advertisements

Here's your little cottage on 30 acres with utilities included in Sherman

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...68950241&row=4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Here's your little cottage on 30 acres with utilities included in Sherman

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...68950241&row=4
That is adorable! And it includes heat and electric ...

Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
That's it? I'm looking to move back up north myself, as we all know by now.

And that's what I don't get, everybody wants to bail but there are nice places that are affordable in the northeast, it must be the people who just wAnt to be by the city cause well that is expensive.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
That's it? I'm looking to move back up north myself, as we all know by now.

And that's what I don't get, everybody wants to bail but there are nice places that are affordable in the northeast, it must be the people who just wAnt to be by the city cause well that is expensive.
This place above is awesome however remember it is only a 1 bedroom and 960sf for 1,400$ a month. Granted it does include everything but still that is more than my mortgage just to rent. Still somewhat expensive.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This place above is awesome however remember it is only a 1 bedroom and 960sf for 1,400$ a month. Granted it does include everything but still that is more than my mortgage just to rent. Still somewhat expensive.
True. And it's just the carriage house of a much larger property that is being rented. It is cute for what it is. I think I got more excited about the included utilities! Lol!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
I have to fulfill my curiosity about Torrington, that's the place I picked for possible relocation. I've done everything I can do except go see it. August or September will be my window of opportunity.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
True. And it's just the carriage house of a much larger property that is being rented. It is cute for what it is. I think I got more excited about the included utilities! Lol!
Ok I agree. I would be all over that if I needed a house.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM

134 posts, read 224,854 times
Thank you, LaLaLally and Willow Wind! And everyone else for your input (The little house you posted, all utilities included, was indeed very cute!)

We actually drove up to the Litchfield area yesterday. We went through the edge of Torrington, and visited Litchfield, Bantam, Washington Depot, and Kent. (We unfortunately did not get over to Sherman, as the drive as listed took up most of one day, but now that I see the house that hvexpatinct posted, I kind of want to go back!)

Conclusion - hmm.

Litchfield: much, MUCH smaller than expected. Everything we saw online made it look a lot more like a just-bustling-enough Madison/Guilford level of town. But neither of us even saw anywhere we'd really hang out on a regular basis. The restaurants, while lovely, were very pricey, and the coffeeshop we stopped at used an automated machine instead of baristas. :/

Torrington: I don't think we saw enough of it, really, but it seems like it's too metropolitan (micropolitan?) for daily living (for us - we want small town near big town, not living-in-big-town.)

Bantam: pretty little lake! But not much else there.

Washington Depot: okay, I will admit that my image of Washington Depot was influenced by the fact that I'd heard it was the inspiration for the set of "Gilmore Girls" (boyfriend had zero input on this one, ha) - and of course I didn't expect it to look exactly like that, it was a TV show, after all - but it was still WAY less of a "town" than I'd expected, it seemed to be one side street with a big post office, a small grocer, and a couple of additional shops.

Kent: This was actually our favorite town on the drive. Kent was loaded with art, several coffeeshops, and a very pretty downtown area. But... (here we go) it felt really, really closed-in and surrounded by hills, a bit claustrophobic, really, and we both thought it was way too removed to get to anything else, since every road out seemed to be a very long, twisty road. So train station, "regular" shopping (not just overpriced IGA food), etc., would, unfortunately, be a pretty big hassle.

Sigh. For now, I guess we are staying in Madison. We DO love Madison, it's just that we are so aggravated and discouraged trying to find a long-term place here that's within a reasonable budget, and that doesn't have decor/appliances stuck in the 1980s. We're going to keep looking though - anywhere in Madison, north of Madison up to Durham, or even up by Essex would probably work, although we're planning to avoid Clinton (eh - just don't like the town), and Old Saybrook/Westbrook, which, while we like to visit, we don't think will suit us for long-term living.

As my boyfriend put it, the only way to find out was to get some info from the wise City-Data folks, and then go and see for ourselves! So now we have a nice new part of Connecticut to go visit (see you soon, Kent, thanks for the espresso!) - but we're back to square one on the rentals.

Thank you, all!

Last edited by FionaMarlowe; 07-19-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 01:09 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Have you ever checked out the Lake Zoar area? There are many pockets that have small cottage type homes off of Rt.34 in Monroe(Downs Rd/Cottage/etc.)/Newtown(Sandy Hook)/Oxford(Punkup).

Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Have you ever checked out the Lake Zoar area? There are many pockets that have small cottage type homes off of Rt.34 in Monroe(Downs Rd/Cottage/etc.)/Newtown(Sandy Hook)/Oxford(Punkup).
I don't think I could recommend the Cottage/Downs/Punkup/Great Quarter Rd areas to anyone. It is pretty remote and is the "stuck in time" area of all three towns. It almost feels like Appalachia. Even residents of these towns don't speak highly of it. JMO, though I do recommend the OP check out whatever they can find and see if it's a fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut