Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:03 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Both are true. Bush signed into law that unless they are from neighboring countries, they can't be immediately sent back home. This is a terrible situation but not as cut and dry as you think it is. Those kids are in horrible danger of being trafficked and I doubt you'll easily say "that's their problem".
Please provide some documentation showing how these kids are in such danger of being trafficed.

Wasn't the original story they were fleeing violence in their native countries? But if trafficing is the problem, another poster has the solution ..... drop them off right in front of their embassies.

Last edited by Minethatbird; 07-20-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
President Obama has sent back a lot of illegals--not all illegals come from south of the border but he has sent back a lot of those too.

Bush passed a law saying that you can't deport illegal minors from the countries that are now sending them. That was a well intentioned law meaning to stop child smuggling and trafficking. Now people in those countries are mis-using that law, knowing the kids will be here to stay.

So BUSH did the right thing AND OBAMA did the right thing. It's not a liberal vs conservative or Dem vs Rep issues. Most thinking people on either side are not in favor of breaking our laws and allowing illegals to come here. (However, it does make you wonder what the higher ups are thinking and why they are not listening to what the people want and putting a stop to this altogether.)
So why all of a sudden have all these countries been sending them? Someone else said they were actually fleeing their countries. But if these other countries are guilty of sending them, I'd cut off their foreign aid till they stopped, and each and every person they sent was returned.

Apparently some people want them to stay, as they just tried to dump a bunch in Southbury, which is far from the route back to where they came from.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Did you miss the part where illegal immigrants who border the US are treated differently than those who don't? Or maybe you have a comprehension problem.
I'm missing the part where Westport has graciously stepped up and volunteered to take all these folks in.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
In your previous post you claim our fearless leader BO has sent back more illegal immigrants than anyone previously. Now you claim the poor dear can't due to George Bush; a common refrain whenever BO screws up.

BTW, how many of these illegals has Westport offered to take in?
None. What's your point? Is it because Westport is full of them lib-ruhls that Rush told you about?

There is no facility in Westport that's appropriate-- and I agree with the governor's decision. It's not a state of Connecticut problem. Your counterpoints are all over the place.

The president can't simply send these children back because a law passed under President Bush said that children from non-adjacent countries can't be sent back with at least a hearing. I'm sorry that fact doesn't conform with your world-view or preferences, but that's the truth. Sorry it isn't more to your liking.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Quote:
I'm missing the part where Westport has graciously stepped up and volunteered to take all these folks in.
I don't think you're getting the point of this thread... I think what speaks volumes is all of us regulars on this board from CT , regardless of party affiliation, are speaking in a clear and loud voice -- which btw, take note it's a rare event when we are all in agreement! It's not our problem, it's a Fed issue. Let them figure out their own mess and leave us alone and out of it... That said I will pay close attention to "interesting" alternatives which may be announced and will post here for further discussion

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-20-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

The president can't simply send these children back because a law passed under President Bush said that children from non-adjacent countries can't be sent back with at least a hearing.
U.S. steps up deportation of Central American child migrants - chicagotribune.com

Apparently he managed to get rid of some, despite the claims he just can't.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
U.S. steps up deportation of Central American child migrants - chicagotribune.com

Apparently he managed to get rid of some, despite the claims he just can't.
Looks like that article is supposed to make us feel guilty but it is just not the responsibility of this country to take in all the world's poor. It's impossible.

Returning to Honduras nearly $5,000 in debt to the guide or "coyote" who smuggled her to the border, Orellana urged U.S. President Barack Obama to give the migrants a chance. "He should let us stay because we're only going to work," she said.

This statement made me see red. We're only going to work. NO, you are not allowed to work here. You are illegal. The immigrants who come here legally pay about $5000 to OUR government in fees and then wait and wait until they get their own ss number and a green card. Then, and only then, can they work. Oh, and they PAY for a detailed health check and a detailed background check. Why do some people think they can go to the head of the line?

Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
They coming to Bridgeport and New Haven

Bridgeport open to taking in immigrant kids | The CT Mirror

Last edited by BPt111; 07-21-2014 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

I bet that's a huge step up from where they're coming from. Like going from the outhouse to the penthouse.

NOT.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 AM

207 posts, read 273,002 times
I'm sure the good people of New Haven will welcome them with open arms and open wallets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut