Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Did you went to Showcase movie theater in Black Rock ? It is about to close before month over most populated city in the state without a theather.

BRIDGEPORT -- This could be the last July 4th weekend that the explosions, gunfire and screams synonymous with summer movie blockbusters rock the walls in the Showcase Cinemas on Canfield Avenue.

After two decades, the owner of the old Black Rock neighborhood movie house -- National Amusements -- announced it would put the multiplex on the market, further reducing film fanatics' options in Greater Bridgeport.

In December Regal Stratford Stadium announced that it would close and be replaced by L. A. Fitness.

The shuttered Showcase Cinema on Milford's Boston Post Road is expected to become a new Shop Rite in coming years.

But the Bridgeport closing was a shock to nearly a dozen moviegoers leaving a recent showing.

"I was unaware of this," said Tara Collins, president of the Black Rock Business Council. Collins, who owns Black Rock Physical Therapy had just left a late afternoon performance of Maleficent, with her partner, Laura Pennock, who owns Black Rock Pilates, their 7-year-old daughter, Sophie Pennock-Collins, and others.

"We come here a lot but apparently not often enough," said Pennock. "It's a real shame Bridgeport is losing another movie theater."

Rachel Lulay, a spokesman for the Massachusetts-based National, said there are too many theaters in the area for the local market to handle. National Amusements also owns Fairfield Cinemas at Bullard Square, which is just around the block from Showcase on the Fairfield line.

"We currently operate 21 screens in the Bridgeport/Fairfield area and will be able to efficiently satisfy existing demand with the 9 screens at ... Bullard Square," Lulay said in a statement.

"We have no plans to discontinue operating Showcase Cinemas in Bridgeport prior to sale," she emphasized.

While Bullard Square may just be around the corner, Showcase moviegoers are partial to their theater.

"I like this one better," said Keisha Baker, who lives just a few blocks away on Orland Street. "The seats are better. The customer service is great. I've been coming here for years and I feel like I know everyone who works here."

David Toth, who lives five minutes away, said he would miss the Showcase.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...214.php#page-1

Last edited by BPt111; 07-16-2014 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I used to take my nephew there when he was a kid and we visited him from Westchester (he's now in his 20s and in the Navy stationed in SC). Sad to hear

I noticed a lot of movie theatres in Westchester are closing too.....I guess people are watching at home or on the Internet more......

Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I noticed a lot of movie theatres in Westchester are closing too.....I guess people are watching at home or on the Internet more......
Hollywood is still making tons of money on ticket sales. I think the trend is more towards newer megaplex-type massive movie theaters. This Showcase theater is relatively small and starting to show its age.

OP, please include the link to articles that you are copy/pasting. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:10 PM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
Such a shame! I was thinking about heading there once before 2015. Oh well. I had good memories of this theater the few times I went. Looks like nearby theaters are gonna take a toll.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
It happened before. Until the Showcase opened 20 years ago, there was not a movie theater within the city for years. Keep in mind that there are movie theaters right over the city line in Fairfield and Trumbull so it is not like there is no place to go. In the long run, this could be good. The site would be a great spot for apartments since it is so close to Fairfield Metro center station. Jay

Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
One more thing to note is that National Amusements, the company that owned the theater has sold off most of its theaters here in Connecticut anyway. This was one of the last. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut