Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:21 PM

19 posts, read 17,648 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Stamford and am currently staying at the Stamford Plaza hotel for a few weeks while I figure out where I want to live.

I've looked at a few places and am deciding between 101 Park place, like the apartment and the park in front of it and Parcgrove which is a similar apartment but is right smack in the middle of downtown right by Bedford Street.

I am a single 30 year old and am used to living close to the bars restaurants etc. I am brand new to CT and don't know a single soul here. So was hoping people can give me some thoughts and opinions to help make my decision.

My office will be on high Ridge Rd and am planning on getting a dog in 6 months so it'd be nice to be able to come home on lunch and let the dog out.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theproman23 View Post
I just moved to Stamford and am currently staying at the Stamford Plaza hotel for a few weeks while I figure out where I want to live.

I've looked at a few places and am deciding between 101 Park place, like the apartment and the park in front of it and Parcgrove which is a similar apartment but is right smack in the middle of downtown right by Bedford Street.

I am a single 30 year old and am used to living close to the bars restaurants etc. I am brand new to CT and don't know a single soul here. So was hoping people can give me some thoughts and opinions to help make my decision.

My office will be on high Ridge Rd and am planning on getting a dog in 6 months so it'd be nice to be able to come home on lunch and let the dog out.

Welcome to Connecticut(3rd smallest state)

Reviews for 101 park place don't look so good I suggest you should read them it good apartment and all but management is not good.

101 Park Place - Stamford, CT | Yelp

I am writing the review for 101 Park Place here because...

What state you are coming from ? and How you likeing CT so far ? What is your budget for the apartment you are looking for like 1,500 is your limit for etc.

Note: Stamford is fastest growing /small to midsize city in CT and one of fastest growing in New England/Tristate area
Downtown Stamford is full of young professionals in their 20's so you won't have any promblem meeting anyone there at the bars. Sono in Norwalk nightlife is bit better than Stamford The Spread, Bar Sugo, The Loft, Harlan Publick

If you would'nt mind traveling 40 mins east to Downtown New Haven best nightlife in CT with young people. Bars New Haven, CT

Stamford have a good train service to Manhattan, NYC every 15-20 mins a Metro North train arrive at Stamford Train Station so as Amtrak service to Penn Station in Manhattan, NY or bound for Boston, MA, Springfield MA/Vermont(State) every 2-3 hours, Shoreline East to Eastern part of the State like New London, Brandford, Guilford nothing is really over there but it shoreline towns.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theproman23 View Post

You might want to check into getting a pet friendly rental unit at the Chesterfield condo complex, which is located toward the bottom of Bedford Street, basically across the street from Stop&Shop. It would seem like a good compromise if you want to be close to the action on Bedford, but not really close to it. The location would also be easier for going home for lunch, as it's on the periphery of heavy downtown traffic.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,274,968 times
Want my opinion, Start looking for a new place to live. Unless you like snobs and traffic to the maximum.

Nightlife in Stamford is OK, I think New Haven is a bit better. Its a trade off. Stamford youre paying $10 a beer and dealing with snobby women that dont even look at you unless you drive a Porsche. In New Haven you get all the Yale Yuppies that are better than everyone, but the drinks are affordable and everything is close. The food in New Haven is unbeatable.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:43 AM

691 posts, read 1,149,655 times
This is the best piece of advice you can get. Applies to all of lower-FFC. Go elsewhere. Your sanity will thank you.

[quote=NewHavensFinest;35733796]Want my opinion, Start looking for a new place to live. Unless you like snobs and traffic to the maximum.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,940,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Want my opinion, Start looking for a new place to live. Unless you like snobs and traffic to the maximum.

Nightlife in Stamford is OK, I think New Haven is a bit better. Its a trade off. Stamford youre paying $10 a beer and dealing with snobby women that dont even look at you unless you drive a Porsche. In New Haven you get all the Yale Yuppies that are better than everyone, but the drinks are affordable and everything is close. The food in New Haven is unbeatable.
The OP's office is on High Ridge in Stamford. As much as I like New Haven, I would never recommend it for a commute to that part of Stamford. He would be looking at an hour commute at least, more likely closer to 90 min, door to door.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,164,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post

Jealous? If you like pizza and bars New Haven is great. If you prefer professional jobs with high income, Stamford is the city.

With that aside, you'll want to live in Stamford as 20s/30s something single professional. Restaurant/bar scene is just fine and from a price standpoint a bargain relative to NYC and in line with New Haven. You can make up the $1-2 beer premium by free or inexpensive parking. SoNo and New Haven are ludicrous for parking. Are you looking for walking distance-- I'd suggest downtown over the south end or west side. You'll find newer construction south of 95/metro north, but you really aren't walking distance from the nightlife. The Classic is a good bet-- the walls are actually pretty soundproof and there is an indoor pool. Adequate parking as well.

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 07-21-2014 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
SoNo and New Haven are ludicrous for parking.
Yep. I parked from 5 to ~6:20 on Friday evening in New Haven. I was charged the $2 to park from 5-6, then the $7 flat "overnight" rate which starts at 6. $11 for 80 minutes. It's absurd.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Jealous? If you like pizza and bars New Haven is great. If you prefer professional jobs with high income, Stamford is the city.

With that aside, you'll want to live in Stamford as 20s/30s something single professional. Restaurant/bar scene is just fine and from a price standpoint a bargain relative to NYC and in line with New Haven. You can make up the $1-2 beer premium by free or inexpensive parking. SoNo and New Haven are ludicrous for parking. Are you looking for walking distance-- I'd suggest downtown over the south end or west side. You'll find newer construction south of 95/metro north, but you really aren't walking distance from the nightlife. The Classic is a good bet-- the walls are actually pretty soundproof and there is an indoor pool. Adequate parking as well.
The Classic is no longer an apartment building. It went condo awhile ago.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,164,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The Classic is no longer an apartment building. It went condo awhile ago.
Patently false. They tried to go that route but the recession forced then to revert to a mix of rentals and owner occupied condos.

Downtown:The Classic Condo Owner Rental - Forest St | Stamford, CT Condos for Rent | Rent.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut