Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:56 PM

14,052 posts, read 13,926,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
You can say that about most places in the country. nep can move, move, and move again, but everywhere he goes, there he is. I learned quickly after high school, which was the peak of my "this place is booooooring" phase, that generally it isn't the place, it's the person. I have lived in rural Vermont, Urban CT, semi-urban desert southwest, southeastern US, etc. and I always found things to do. I have complaints about each place, but "boring" never comes to mind.

Would u say NYC is boring you would'nt complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 03:23 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,024 times
Reasons I want to leave:

Cost of Living
A 2-3 Mile Walk to "Downtown" Fairfield
Traffic
Possible Job Offers In Those Areas

I might also want to rent an apartment in Downtown, due to recent paycuts.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Reasons I want to leave:

Cost of Living
A 2-3 Mile Walk to "Downtown" Fairfield
Traffic
Possible Job Offers In Those Areas

I might also want to rent an apartment in Downtown, due to recent paycuts.
Have u consider Downtown New Haven but what jobs offers u looking for

Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,439 times
I've lived in CT and in western NY. Two drawbacks to that part of NY:

1. Even if you have a good job, you're surrounded by people who don't. The economy of that part of the world has been very bad fir a long time.

2. Winters are long with lots of snow. You could never be sure you were done with snow or at least sleet until May. But for me the worst part was winter cloud cover; the Great Lakes generate a near-permanent dark overcast from about November to late April. Wikipedia sez: " ... areas of western New York around Buffalo average 71-75% cloud cover annually." (The summers are short but nice.)

Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM

5,475 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I've lived in CT and in western NY. Two drawbacks to that part of NY:

1. Even if you have a good job, you're surrounded by people who don't. The economy of that part of the world has been very bad fir a long time.

2. Winters are long with lots of snow. You could never be sure you were done with snow or at least sleet until May. But for me the worst part was winter cloud cover; the Great Lakes generate a near-permanent dark overcast from about November to late April. Wikipedia sez: " ... areas of western New York around Buffalo average 71-75% cloud cover annually." (The summers are short but nice.)
Replying to your post, but this is also in reply to mels and NewJeffCT: thanks to the Buffalo News' "sunshine derby" stats, I was always under the impression that Rochester was the gloomiest major city in upstate NY--for the couple years I naively placed my trust in the Buffalo News' figures. Anecdotal observations were consistent with the findings--whenever I'd visit Rochester over the years, it almost always seemed to be overcast. Then I saw this interesting little piece about how Buffalo's sunny day measurements used a different standard for sunniness than those used in ROC, the 'Cuse (and Phoenix and Orlando, which were also included in the rankings for whatever reason--presumably to make Buffalonians feel better, because Buffalo would dubiously come out ahead of Orlando in the rankings, thanks to the two differing standards of measurement, as the article partly explains):

Professor rains on Buffalo’s high ranking in Sunshine Derby - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Fairfield, CT is somewhat expensive, so I may move. I will attempt to sell my house (6 years later, stupid housing market) and move. I have been considering New Haven and Upstate NY Cities (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany). What do you think I should do? I heard the Downtowns of NY cities has revived a lot. Another upside to Upstate NY cities is traffic and I can fly to almost every city on the EC and Chicago via Buffalo and Rochester Airport. Although I will miss the New Haven food. I am traveling up to UNY for a week or two soon. New York is my favorite state also.
I visited Yale back in 2003, and New Haven didn't make a very good impression. Apparently I may have missed out on some decent food. Of the upstate cities you mentioned, Buffalo is as far as I'm aware the city with the most downtown revival occurring--Rochester's downtown strikes me as entirely dead after 5 PM (as compared to the currently mostly dead Buffalo downtown post-work hours), and Syracuse is in my opinion an incredibly depressing city. I've lived in the Buffalo area all 28 of my years, and I'd have to consider it the best city in upstate NY, and the best place of the ones you're considering. That said, other factors like employment prospects, girlfriend attachments, and whatever insider info you have on New Haven would have to factor in for you as well.

You mentioned the #3 ranking for Elmwood Village/Allentown...to me, that's a depressing statement about the nation's arts districts, or lack thereof. That, or it's a poor ranking which overrates EV/Allentown, heh. Surely EV/Allentown deserves some recognition for what it offers (it's the best section of the city of Buffalo, I'll say that much), but to think it could rank that highly on a national level is, as stated, depressing. The neighborhood in question is eclectic and does have an active art/music scene, but to me it's rather lacking in the bohemian vibe that one would associate with a true arts area. I mean, it's still Buffalo. Maybe that's just my bias. I've never actually seen the rankings that you're referencing (I've heard it referenced a handful of times by others), so I'm off to Google.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I visited Yale back in 2003, and New Haven didn't make a very good impression. Apparently I may have missed out on some decent food. Of the upstate cities you mentioned, Buffalo is as far as I'm aware the city with the most downtown revival occurring--Rochester's downtown strikes me as entirely dead after 5 PM (as compared to the currently mostly dead Buffalo downtown post-work hours), and Syracuse is in my opinion an incredibly depressing city. I've lived in the Buffalo area all 28 of my years, and I'd have to consider it the best city in upstate NY, and the best place of the ones you're considering. That said, other factors like employment prospects, girlfriend attachments, and whatever insider info you have on New Haven would have to factor in for you as well.

You mentioned the #3 ranking for Elmwood Village/Allentown...to me, that's a depressing statement about the nation's arts districts, or lack thereof. That, or it's a poor ranking which overrates EV/Allentown, heh. Surely EV/Allentown deserves some recognition for what it offers (it's the best section of the city of Buffalo, I'll say that much), but to think it could rank that highly on a national level is, as stated, depressing. The neighborhood in question is eclectic and does have an active art/music scene, but to me it's rather lacking in the bohemian vibe that one would associate with a true arts area. I mean, it's still Buffalo. Maybe that's just my bias. I've never actually seen the rankings that you're referencing (I've heard it referenced a handful of times by others), so I'm off to Google.

Downtown New Haven has came a long way it virbant with bars, restaurants, college students, metro north and amtrak commuters, business meetings It current the best Downtown in CT Stamford is after but Downtown Hartford has best skyline like mini verison of boston.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Downtown New Haven has came a long way it virbant with bars, restaurants, college students, metro north and amtrak commuters, business meetings It current the best Downtown in CT Stamford is after but Downtown Hartford has best skyline like mini verison of boston.
Yeah, 11 years can be a long time; also, I didn't see as much of the city itself as I would've liked due to time constraints (was headed to Boston immediately after). My comment on New Haven is hardly informed--just my memory of what was essentially a first impression.

OP, one more thing for you to check out, assuming the moderators let this link stand...I think this is a good compilation of Elmwood Village photos (worth posting as an addendum to my prior post):

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38125

Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, 11 years can be a long time; also, I didn't see as much of the city itself as I would've liked due to time constraints (was headed to Boston immediately after). My comment on New Haven is hardly informed--just my memory of what was essentially a first impression.

OP, one more thing for you to check out, assuming the moderators let this link stand...I think this is a good compilation of Elmwood Village photos (worth posting as an addendum to my prior post):

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38125

LOL it not that impressive East Rock, Wooster Square in New Haven is better the architectural, close to downtown, some of the best pizza and dinning in New England

Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not going to argue with you but how many beaches does Hartford County have? Also how close is Hartford to New York City? Anyone who says Fairfield County is boring really needs to get out more. It sounds more like you are bored because you have lived there a long time. The good thing is there is a lot to do so close to you. Jay
The fact that FFC is near NYC does not make FFC more exciting in itself. Also, in my opinion, being near NYC is a huge negative, because of all the congestion, aggressiveness, aggravation and cost of living. I see no value in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut