Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 6,101 times

Advertisements

And so it seems I would also need a car to get around then.

Even if there is some type of bus system within the town itself, it seems it may not be that convenient.

Plus, I would still need a car to get to larger towns anyway.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 5,924,292 times
I think they have a pretty good reputation, but it's been a while since I really looked into those things, so I don't know if it's changed at all. Somebody else may be able to add more to that discussion than me.

Are you in a city in the midwest?

Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM

13,992 posts, read 13,772,394 times
Do u have to live Thompson in CT ?

Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 AM

4,713 posts, read 5,924,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Do u have to live Thompson in CT ?
Yes, OP said he'd have to live on the campus of the prep school in housing provided for him.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM

13,992 posts, read 13,772,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Yes, OP said he'd have to live on the campus of the prep school in housing provided for him.

He with Massachusetts/RI then more than he with CT the closest major cities to him is Worcester and Providence

Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
OK, just for clarification here, the OP did state in their 1st sentence that they are from Ann Arbor Michigan.

The OP also did not state their gender.

/rant.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibi2014 View Post
I am just trying to determine what life would be like there in Thompson in comparison to life in other towns where I'm applying for jobs.
That portion of the state is referred to as "The Quiet Corner". As previously indicated, the nearest "large" city is ~25 miles away(Worcester MA).

Old 07-27-2014, 09:19 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
2.*Thompson*is a rural town in Windham County next to the Massachusetts border which is northwestern part of the state.

Not in the northwestern part of ct.

4. It lacks public transportation

FALSE ^^

I'm out of free time to fix your mistakes for the day. Have you ever even been there though?? Misinformation is never good.
You should correct people's misinformation if you know it is wrong and know the correct answer. That is the whole point of this forum. You provide people with information on towns and places they are considering moving to. You spent enough time typing responses to other comments on this thread. It would have taken less time to just correct the mistakes. Jay

Old 07-30-2014, 11:16 AM

365 posts, read 1,249,777 times
I have family in Thompson and go there several times a year. AFAIK, there is no "downtown" as such. There is the Commons, but I have never noticed any businesses there, only old--but beautiful--federal houses, a church or two, and a post office. (I'm thinking there's a doughnut shop there, too, but don't hold me to that.) To describe the town as "walkable" is a misnomer, since that implies you can walk to stores, parks, businesses, etc. Thompson is a rural area, and you will definitely need a vehicle to go anywhere you need to go. (I don't know anything about the bus service.)

My family drives to Putnam for the nearest supermarkets, gas stations, and shopping. They go to Worcester, Boston, and Providence for entertainment and history. If you like nature and the outdoors, there is more than enough to keep you busy, because it's within driving distance of beautiful parks, fishing, lakes, mountains, hiking, wildlife, and the ocean. Thompson also has the Nascar race course and a very nice golf course.

There is a hospital nearby. There's no local police dept.; Thompson relies on the state police when needed.

If you're young and single, you may find it too quiet. (Don't mean to generalize, but most young, single people are not looking for an area like this.) It's a beautiful part of the country, but it is rural, carved out of the woods. You will find it very different from Ann Arbor.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM

101 posts, read 111,173 times
OP, I'm from Canton MI and live in Fairfield county CT now. PM me if you want to discuss differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut