Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,830 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I started work in Norwalk a month back and currently staying in Stamford.
I want to move to a more affordable/less expensive place as the rent I'm currently paying is too steep.

I recently saw in apartment in downtown bridgeport about 2 mins walk from the train station. The apartment is very nice and in the middle of Downtown at Main Street. Since I take the train to work, I felt this was very appealing.
However I have seen lot of people being skeptical about living in and around Bridgeport.

Can someone please shed some light on this and help me as I'm very new to this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 AM

14,056 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Downtown is fine don't expect it be vibrant like New Haven and Stamford there few good restaurants nearby but most of them overpriced. There no supermarket downtown so you have to drive to main street for food shopping or pricerite expect the shopping experience to be kinda ghetto. There is no stores to shop nearby so Trumbull Mall is 12 min drive on Main Street or Milford Mall 10 mins with highway. Half of downtown is rundown you might see some panhandlers by mcdonalds. Dunkin Donuts and Subway is by train station, half block section of fairfield ave downtown has the restaurants. after dawn Downtown is ghost-town it get little sketchy...I recommmed Black Rock because all bars, restaurants it most virbant part of the city and fairfield metro station is close by, close to fairfield shopping on the post road.

Last edited by BPt111; 07-15-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Eh, I would skip personally.

Look into apartments near Fairfield Metro train station (Black Rock), Stratford train station, or Milford train station.

Will be similarly inexpensive and a much nicer place to live.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
IT really depends on what the OP wants. Downtown Bridgeport has come a long way and has the potential for more improvements as more and more former commercial buildings are converted to residential. I was surprised when I found out an old friend had moved there recently. He commutes to New York and no longer wanted a large single family home. He says it is not bad and enjoys the restaurants and entertainment options there. I do agree Black Rock may be a better option but note that the OP should stay west of Ellsworth Street if they do look there. Jay

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
IT really depends on what the OP wants. Downtown Bridgeport has come a long way and has the potential for more improvements as more and more former commercial buildings are converted to residential. I was surprised when I found out an old friend had moved there recently. He commutes to New York and no longer wanted a large single family home. He says it is not bad and enjoys the restaurants and entertainment options there. I do agree Black Rock may be a better option but note that the OP should stay west of Ellsworth Street if they do look there. Jay

bad thing is train service is not good as Stamford...

Stamford has direct trains to NYC and New Haven

every 11-26 mins Stamford is last stop on train from NYC and in between is New Haven

Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Eh, I would skip personally.

Look into apartments near Fairfield Metro train station (Black Rock), Stratford train station, or Milford train station.

Will be similarly inexpensive and a much nicer place to live.

Another NO vote on DT Bridgeport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp20 View Post
I recently saw in apartment in downtown bridgeport about 2 mins walk from the train station. The apartment is very nice and in the middle of Downtown at Main Street. Since I take the train to work, I felt this was very appealing.
The walk home to your apartment in the winter time(dark) won't be too "appealing".

Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 AM

133 posts, read 192,517 times
My knowledge of Bridgeport is much more limited than the above posters, but I have stayed downtown a number of times while on work trips. So, for what it's worth, I'll also throw in a NO vote.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
My knowledge of Bridgeport is much more limited than the above posters, but I have stayed downtown a number of times while on work trips. So, for what it's worth, I'll also throw in a NO vote.

Do you try downtown restaurants Barnum Publick House, Ralph n Rich’s Restaurant, Amici Miei, Bistro B

Old 07-16-2014, 10:16 AM

But the majestic former bank buildings that surround McLevy Green are receiving new life in the form of major conversions underway along Bank and Main Streets. The first floor of the former Mechanics & Farmers Savings Bank building at 930 Main St. will be the new home of Fletcher Thompson, the engineering and design firm working on Meriden’s Maloney High School renovation. The upper story of the former bank will house 32 mixed-income apartments. The project by Darien-based Forstone Properties, spans almost a city block.

The vault of the former People’s Bank was converted into a bar area, and the upper floors will include about 36 apartments. Both conversion projects were funded through private financing and Department of Housing loans. Nearby, the Sterling Market Lofts project at John and Broad streets, consists of 61 one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments available only to artists.
McLevy Green now draws a crowd every Thursday night at its weekly concert series featuring international performers.

“It’s much more intimate now,” said Barbara Kelly, a managing partner at Urban Spaces LLC on Lafayette Boulevard. “It allows for social networking. There is a lot of activity.”
According to CHFA, the McLevy Green project consists of four contiguous buildings that overlook the green on Main and State streets, creating a mixed-use, mixed-income residential development. Of the 32 apartment units in each building, 19 will be leased to households earning up to 120 percent of the average median income, three will be leased to households earning up to 100 percent, and three will be leased to households earning up to 80 percent.
Kelly said she’s not concerned the new multi-income project will create a glut of residential units since the prices are several hundred dollars per month lower than in Stamford. Kelly, who leases 64 mixed-income units at 333 State St. since 2012, said she has no problem filling the market-rate units.

“There is a demand,” she said. “It’s cutting two-thirds off the cost of living in Stamford if not more. This is going to become a destination for young, professional college graduates. They’re not going to raise a family here.”
Of the 64 units, six are designated “work force” units for families and individuals whose income doesn’t exceed 80 percent of Fairfield County’s median household income of $82,614 and who work in the city—a restriction set up by CHFA.
The monthly rents range from $1,100 to $1,650 for a two-bedroom, two-bathroom. Workforce rents range from $950 to $1,125

Check this out next to train station but I would be careful mix income can be bad.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM

People Banks area is most desent part of downtown near train station other half of downtown is rundown

It be covernt into mix-income apartments about 32 units not even 1 block from the train station.

3 months ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut