Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM

29 posts, read 39,004 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to move to CT in September. I would like to know whether it makes sense to already contact landlords to find an apartment to rent or whether I should wait until mid-August maybe?

Any advice welcome

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
I would start now. Many apartment complexes know their inventory for the upcoming months well in advance so it can't hurt to begin now. Jay

Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,526 times
It depends what kind of apartment you are looking for and where. Craiglist is a great place to start; if you want more of a big box community, try rent.com.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
It's definitely not too early. Make inquiries now, plan on coming to look at apartments in a week or two. Where in CT? What size? What budget? Plan for high utility bills, and property tax on cars.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:37 AM

Hi. I should have mentioned that I'm moving to CT from France so there is no way I can take a return ticket just to visit apartments.
I'm looking for a 2bed apartment ideally in South Norwalk so that I can commute by train. From what I've seen so far, it will be difficult to get a rent lower than $1500!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
You can do a lot of research on Craigslist and contact landlords ahead of time, but I would suggest that you NOT expect to rent something before you arrive. Find a place to stay temporarily for when you arrive, then apt hunt in person here.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,526 times
It's going to be really hard to find a two bedrooom for that price in SoNo. You can find a one bedroom or studio at Ironworks for that price, possibly...that's walking distance to the train station. I just signed a lease in Norwalk...but in a different complex and for a one bedroom. It was way above your budget, but has a shuttle to the train station.

However, I agree---better to look when you get here and find a short term place while looking.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Hi. Thanks for your replies.

My budget is more around 2k. I was put 1.5k in case anyone know some cheaper place

What do you guys think of Avalon or Riverview apartments? They seem a bit more expensive than the average but well equipped and they do low deposit.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_mosc View Post
Hi. Thanks for your replies.

My budget is more around 2k. I was put 1.5k in case anyone know some cheaper place

What do you guys think of Avalon or Riverview apartments? They seem a bit more expensive than the average but well equipped and they do low deposit.
Keep in mind that you are moving to one of the most expensive and desirable parts of this country. If an apartment is cheap, there is usually a good reason. Avalon and Riverview are nice and a bit more expensive but they are good options for people who are new to the area. You should consider them. Jay

Old 08-03-2014, 05:49 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Keep in mind that you are moving to one of the most expensive and desirable parts of this country. If an apartment is cheap, there is usually a good reason. Avalon and Riverview are nice and a bit more expensive but they are good options for people who are new to the area. You should consider them. Jay
I fully agree.

Assuming Avalon will rent a unit without seeing you in person (you can see floor plans and prices online, and also apply online), they are a safe choice because the units will quite likely be in good shape and they generally do/provide everything they advertise. However, you need to be judicious choosing the unit so you don't get stuck with a unit located poorly. Carefully study the property layout, satellite images, and street views, and you will be fine.

A couple of things about Avalon: Lease for a year to get the best rates; apply as late as possible in September to get even better rates. Delaying the application might sound risky, but most Avalon properties tend to have enough supply (you can see availability one) and they drop rents faster than most other companies.

OP: I have been in a similar situation to yours. I rented at Avalon (not in Norwalk) and through contacts became quite familiar with their business model. Feel free to PM if you have specific questions or need assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut