Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times

Advertisements

Is she still around? My god she needs to just retire and fall off the radar, it's embarrassing. Taxing soda is not going to do a thing except put more money in their pockets for pork and special projects.

A can of coke is about 9 spoons of sugar. So $.01 per spoon = $.09 per can, multiply that by a case/pack of 12 and your now paying an extra $1.08 for a case of soda, screw her. Now I'm not a soda drinker but we have it in the house for parties, mixed drinks, etc. I grew up with water, milk, some lemonade or iced tea, and rarely a sprite or ginger ale.

Sorry but she needs to just stop and be done, a perfect example of why term limits would be appropriate for other offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
She's still around cause she's got the backing. Local R candidates don't even usually advertise, and I haven't heard of a Dem with enough chops to try to be a serious challenge.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
U.S. Term Limits - Citizen Legislators, Not Career Politicians

Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM

207 posts, read 273,030 times
this is what the people of CT want

Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fish View Post
this is what the people of CT want
What does that even mean? Did I miss that time we as a state collectively voted "Yes" for taxing sugar?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I will tell you that given the current bunch of do-nothing Congressmen today, I seriously think that we should start thinking of term limits. It is embarrassing the crap going on today. Jay

Old 07-31-2014, 03:12 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
What does that even mean? Did I miss that time we as a state collectively voted "Yes" for taxing sugar?
LOL.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 PM

44 posts, read 72,176 times
their solution to anything is taxing it.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,692 times
This is seriously disturbing, not to mention unethical. If politicians are concerned about public health, then tax the corporations who profit from making soda instead of taxing consumers. Perhaps then corporations will be motivated to improve products. Government truly is behaving like Big Brother.

It's rather curious how in the U.S. corporations are permitted to sell foods that contains harmful substances like high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, and so on. It's quite different in certain European countries, where HFCS is banned... But here in America, the gov sticks it to the consumer, while corporations have free reign and continue to profit. Why? Because politicians and big corporations are on the same team.

I do not see this as a liberal vs. conservative issue though... Politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle are bankrolled by the same corporations, lobbies, etc. They just wear different masks, an effective way of keeping the public fighting one another. The old divide and conquer ploy works every time.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
How about a 1 cent tax per teaspoon on orange juice, or fruit yogurt, or breakfast cereal, or cookies, or donuts, or thousands of other products that are loaded with sugar, Ms. DiLauro?

Sugar is bad for you, but I am opposed to any tax. And a tax on sugary soda is beyond absurd.

But she is a far-left Leftist, so it's in her DNA to tax things. She can't help herself.

Here's a better idea. How many of you know that 4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar? So the USDA should mandate that sugar content be labeled in teaspoons, which everybody understands. Nobody knows what a gram is.

So there's a better solution without a tax increase. When people see their Coke has 7 teaspoons of sugar instead of 28 grams of sugar (and same with their fat-free but very unhealthy fruit yogurt), they may turn to something else.

Unfortunately, the FDA is bought and sold by Big Food and Big Sugar, so it probably will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut