Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
$137K for a cop with 3 years experience...

But it's food stamps that are the problem?
But at least the police officer is WORKING for his money.

Key word being WORKING. not HANDED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:

Lol......crazy what people make. He's a good kid though, very mature and responsible. Town is Rye in Westchester.......very expensive so I guess that has something to do with it?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:

Yeah - and going by the average police officer's salary, that $137k is working at least 30 hours of overtime per week, and probably more, and many of those hours include the officer standing out in extreme cold and heat for 10+ hours per shift, with MAYBE two bathroom breaks and no lunch break. Also, the vast majority of that OT is paid for by private contractors (AT&T, Louis Tree, Tilcon, Charter).

If a cop wants to make the big bucks, s/he has to make a huge sacrifice in their private lives, so lets cut the limousine liberal attitude.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
But at least the police officer is WORKING for his money.

Key word being WORKING. not HANDED.
Unfortunately many fiscally liberal individuals either cannot comprehend the difference between the two, or choose to ignore it to make their point. I believe the latter is the case here.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,490 times
After benefits and such, having two employees work 60 hours a week is still almost certainly cheaper than having three employees work 40 hours. As long as the work is legit, I don't have any real problem with it.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:42 PM

713 posts, read 760,276 times
44k for a starting salary for a CO is not great? What are you smoking? add up the benefits, that's a great package for a job with very little requirements and a job that requires very little brain power.

After 10 years, you are making good money doing the same job with little require skills and brain power. Add in OT and you making big bucks.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
44k for a starting salary for a CO is not great? What are you smoking? add up the benefits, that's a great package for a job with very little requirements and a job that requires very little brain power.

After 10 years, you are making good money doing the same job with little require skills and brain power. Add in OT and you making big bucks.
LOL. Spend 40 hours(and likely more through forced OT) a week amongst the vermin that slither around your favorite local ghetto? Sure, sign me up. That's a great package!

At least as a trooper you can bust a cap in their ass.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM

713 posts, read 760,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
LOL. Spend 40 hours(and likely more through forced OT) a week amongst the vermin that slither around your favorite local ghetto? Sure, sign me up. That's a great package!

At least as a trooper you can bust a cap in their ass.
You watch too much TV man. Why don't you check the top 10 most dangerous jobs and see if a CO is on the list? If you only knew the real vermins in a prison, bet you didn't know most sexual assaults in prison is done by the Prison guards to the inmates, and the other real shh1tt you don't know about prison.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
You watch too much TV man. Why don't you check the top 10 most dangerous jobs and see if a CO is on the list? If you only knew the real vermins in a prison, bet you didn't know most sexual assaults in prison is done by the Prison guards to the inmates, and the other real shh1tt you don't know about prison.
Where did SCR say it was a dangerous job?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:15 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah - and going by the average police officer's salary, that $137k is working at least 30 hours of overtime per week, and probably more, and many of those hours include the officer standing out in extreme cold and heat for 10+ hours per shift, with MAYBE two bathroom breaks and no lunch break. Also, the vast majority of that OT is paid for by private contractors (AT&T, Louis Tree, Tilcon, Charter).

If a cop wants to make the big bucks, s/he has to make a huge sacrifice in their private lives, so lets cut the limousine liberal attitude.
So cops are working 70 hours a week, every week? You don't think that has an effect on public safety... You scream about fiscal conservatism, but have no problem with a junior cop earning what three teachers with the same experience would earn? About 90% of the time I see cops they are inside a climate controlled police car, but I guess you want to excuse ridiculous salaries when a profession is a male dominated, tough-guy profession that you like. I remember you defended 100K train conductors too...

Exactly who are the municipal employees you complain about who are making too much money?!? Teachers, I'm sure. Right?

I don't know what a limousine liberal is. I drive a Jeep. I guess it's better then being a hypocritical conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut