Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Intestingly someone I know has begun using a walker and is amazed at the number of people here in Connecticut who go out of their way to assist him. They wait to hold open the doors or ask if he needs assistance. This has been happening all over the state. So much for Connecticut residents being rude. I think people mistake our respect for privacy for rudeness. JMHO, Jay

Jay do consider Fairfield County to be unfreindly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Jay do consider Fairfield County to be unfreindly
No, I think many people consider anywhere that people keep to themselves as unfriendly. Fairfield County is a busy area and people are not in your face. Nothing wrong with that IMHO. Jay

Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Bridgeport came in at #12 out of 172 cities

Old 08-12-2014, 01:33 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
I'm jealous that you had a tour guide .. I saw mostly commercialized crap. I did admire the well preserved architecture as I am a history freak myself.

Funny though that you spoke about visiting Charleston proper as well as the outlying areas, then compared that experience to Hartford alone.. Charleston itself is about the size of the entire Hartford metro area. Comparing it strictly to Hartford proper is unfair. Props for seeing the potential of the city though! I agree, too many people write Hartford off due to the crime rate.
Actually ... the City of Charleston is slightly smaller than the City of Hartford as per the 2012 estimates. The metro areas are about the same size as well. The major difference of course is that Charleston is growing like crazy and Hartford is shrinking, so by now ... should be around the same size.
I lived in Windsor Locks in the early 90's and then moved to Greenwich till 2005...when we moved to Charleston... you couldn't get us out of there with a shoehorn. Charleston's got everything you might want to provide you a spectacular life style...human scale. great restaurants.. beautiful housing... museum's and art galleries galore ...the ocean Beaches...unbelievably polite folks... and of course great weather year round ( once you get used to august and you do..lol)

One of the primary reasons for its human scale is that you cant build higher in the city than the height of the oldest church in the city's steeple... translates to about 4 stories... so no faceless high rise offices nor apartments and no area of the city that gets deserted by the 5 pm rush.

Last edited by cynic1; 08-12-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Actually ... the City of Charleston is slightly smaller than the City of Hartford as per the 2012 estimates. The metro areas are about the same size as well. The major difference of course is that Charleston is growing like crazy and Hartford is shrinking, so by now ... should be around the same size.
I lived in Windsor Locks in the early 90's and then moved to Greenwich till 2005...when we moved to Charleston... you couldn't get us out of there with a shoehorn. Charleston's got everything you might want to provide you a spectacular life style...human scale. great restaurants.. beautiful housing... museum's and art galleries galore ...the ocean Beaches...unbelievably polite folks... and of course great weather year round ( once you get used to august and you do..lol)

One of the primary reasons for its human scale is that you cant build higher in the city than the height of the oldest church in the city's steeple... translates to about 4 stories... so no faceless high rise offices nor apartments and no area of the city that gets deserted by the 5 pm rush.

Charleston is big 125 square mile with close to 130,000 residents and you got factor the toursim daily in the summer so up to 200,000 or more. I see over 100 things to do and see, almost over 55 hotels 0_0

Old 08-12-2014, 02:26 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,324 times
FYI, since the beginning of August, there were 8 victims in different shootings .

New Haven mom mourns ‘good son,’ 15, shot dead, criticizes ambulance response time (2 Injured + 1 Dead)

One killed in New Haven double shooting - WFSB 3 Connecticut (1 Injured + 1 Dead)

Police: 71-year-old shot neighbor in New Haven - WFSB 3 Connecticut (1 Injured)

Robbery suspect in New Haven shot and killed by store clerk - WFSB 3 Connecticut (2 Dead, if you read the article, it was a pair of robberies)

Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post

7 in Bridgeport so far this month , 17 victims last month but less media reported let get back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut