Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks more urban to me. Jay
Exactly, I was just thinking that yes, this pictures proves the "urban" point. When I think "suburban", I think somewhere like Trumbull. Pretty much all of Norwalk is too urban for me, I avoid it entirely now. If I want to go to Lowe's, I go to Derby. I seek out smaller towns for shopping, less traffic and less people, just my personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
What is the top model? By the photo on the bottom there is a wall shown but it appears back from Connecticut Avenue so there will be landscaping to soften it. Hopefully that will be the case. Jay
That's what was there before they started demolishing. Was a medical building.

You guys ever see the "cut out" of that lot where Lowes is going? Top view

Ground view of the residential area behind Lowes.

After Lowes you can go play golf on the Norwalk Golf Course not far from there.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 PM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
Norwalk is a mix of urban and suburban -- it's like Downtown Stamford and North Stamford, or Great Neck Plaza and the rest of Great Neck. Norwalk: SoNo and Rowayton. That trend seems to stay true to all the wealthy areas in proximity to NY.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:32 AM

518 posts, read 743,449 times
I don't understand what the wall's function is to be for?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
What two bridges are you asking about? I too would guess that they are waiting until the asphalt plants reopen to do the final paving and open the new lanes. Jay
Cedar st & Taylor ave

Old 03-14-2015, 04:59 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
What are you talking about??? Norwalk is a small city (pretty much always has been). I would not call it "typical suburbia". To me "typical suburbia" would mean towns like Trumbull or Milford where there are strip shopping centers and/or a mall surrounded by a lot of single-family homes. Norwalk has small but very urban feeling areas like South Norwalk. I really can't remember it ever having a "decidedly rural" look and feel, at least not in the past 50 years. And I am sure there have been lot more than just one traffic signal in the city for a LOT longer than that. Are you sure you are talking about the same city? Jay
Yes, the same place.

The people that once told me that they remembered Norwalk as a sleepy rural town were elderly and one of the ladies said that she remembers a time when the first traffic light was put in town and that one of her sons pointed it out and said 'look mom, like NY.'

I also know people that remember when there were cattle ranches in Stamford and the city was a sleepy town, Washington Blvd ended at Bridge Street, etc, etc, and more etc.

When I drive on Connecticut Ave, to mention one of many areas of Norwalk that feels like typical cookie cutter suburbia, I feel as if I'm in a palm-less Florida with rolling hills. Also, there hardly is an actual downtown. No there there.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:18 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
Its a retaining wall meant to hold in place the land that the parking lot is going to be built on. That parcel probably has a grade that requires a retaining wall if Lowes wants to have a level parking lot.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-14-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
The wall allows them to make the parking lot flater. Jay.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:03 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Yes, the same place.

The people that once told me that they remembered Norwalk as a sleepy rural town were elderly and one of the ladies said that she remembers a time when the first traffic light was put in town and that one of her sons pointed it out and said 'look mom, like NY.'

I also know people that remember when there were cattle ranches in Stamford and the city was a sleepy town, Washington Blvd ended at Bridge Street, etc, etc, and more etc.

When I drive on Connecticut Ave, to mention one of many areas of Norwalk that feels like typical cookie cutter suburbia, I feel as if I'm in a palm-less Florida with rolling hills. Also, there hardly is an actual downtown. No there there.
Those people may remember when parts of Norwalk were somewhat rural in character but as I said Norwalk is a city and has had an urban feel in many areas for a long time. Look at the age of the buildings in South Norwalk and East Norwalk to see that they were pretty much well developed a long time ago. I would not call it rural or sleepy. They would also have to be very old for them to remember the first traffic signal. They would have to be at least in their 80's. Jay

Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its a retaining wall meant to hold in place the land that the parking lot is going to be built on. That parcel probably has a grade that requires a retaining wall if Lowes wants to have a level parking lot.
Quote:
The wall allows them to make the parking lot flater. Jay.
Oh OK thanks guys makes since because I think the home depot in Danbury has the same setup wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut