Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:08 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Believe it or not there just are not a lot of good sites for a large supermarket in these towns. They need sevaral acres of land zoned for commercial development. Supermarkets need to be surrounded by a large residential area to survive. The best sites are taken and the few there are may have restrictions preventing them from being developed with a supermarket. It is just not that easy. Jay
There is a vacant S&S in Orange as well as that large parcel that Stew's was sadly unable to build on, ironically because of S&S lobbying.

I wonder if S&S will hold onto that empty building or lease to a non-grocery retailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There is a vacant S&S in Orange as well as that large parcel that Stew's was sadly unable to build on, ironically because of S&S lobbying.

I wonder if S&S will hold onto that empty building or lease to a non-grocery retailer.
There has been a vacant S&S for awhile now in a "good" Bridgeport location(Upper Madison). Is that one in Hamden that they recently shuttered vacant also?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The Orange Stop & Shop is likely still controlled by them and they would never agree to allowing another supermarket there to compete with their nearby stores (West Haven and Milford). It is unlikely that a supermarket would ever be approved at the Stew Leonard's site in Orange since the project was turned down by P&Z.

As for the Madison Avenue Stop & Shop in Bridgeport, if Stop & Shop could not make it work there, what makes you think another one would? Also this is another case where S&S likely has a say in who goes there. They likely would not allow another strong supermaket to come in and take business from their Main Street store. Jay

Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

As for the Madison Avenue Stop & Shop in Bridgeport, if Stop & Shop could not make it work there, what makes you think another one would? Jay
It was working just fine for them, until they bought the lease of the former Shaw's a mile away on N. Main and opened a 2nd S&S at that location. Both stores were actually still doing fine, until S&S expanded/rebuilt their grotesque Villa Ave. Fairfield store, which ended up siphoning more customers away from Madison leading to its demise.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It was working just fine for them, until they bought the lease of the former Shaw's a mile away on N. Main and opened a 2nd S&S at that location. Both stores were actually still doing fine, until S&S expanded/rebuilt their grotesque Villa Ave. Fairfield store, which ended up siphoning more customers away from Madison leading to its demise.
The North Main Street Stop & Shop was actually there long before they built Madison Avenue. What was interesting about this is that the sales at the North Main Street store did not go down as much as they thought when Madison Avenue opened even though the stores are only a mile apart. I think you are right though that once they redid the Villa avenue store, there was no reason for anyone from Fairfield to go to the Madison Avenue store. Between that and the fact that there is a very nice Stop & Shop up at Town Hall Plaza in Trumbull, the Madison Avenue store was pretty much doomed to fail.

Also I am not sure why you think Villa Avenue is "grotesque". It is like most newer Stop & Shop stores which I think are very nice. I think they did a very nice job fitting it into an existing plaza which already had a bowling alley and line of stores adjacent to it. Jay

Old 08-15-2014, 11:31 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,112 times
Thanks! Personally, I feel like I would be happier in WNY because there is more to do (Lake George, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, etc).

Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Thanks! Personally, I feel like I would be happier in WNY because there is more to do (Lake George, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, etc).
You do realize that these are kind of long drives from Rochester. Within the same driving time of New Haven you have equally many, if not more options. Jay

Old 08-16-2014, 12:56 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
um yea until it snows out

Old 08-16-2014, 12:57 AM

congratz and good luck on the move and your new job

Old 08-16-2014, 12:58 AM

one day i'll pay a visit back to the east coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut