Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times

Advertisements

What your thoughts ? even Malloy admits CT economy is not good

Politics 101: define your opponent before they can define you.
But what if you don’t have an opponent yet?
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy isn’t going to let formalities stand in the way, warning on a White House conference call Tuesday that the winner of today’s GOP primary for governor will roll back minimum wage and paid sick leave reforms that he has championed in his first term.
“To the best of my knowledge, these things would be at risk,” Malloy told reporters on the call, which included Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez and Director of the National Economic Council Jeff Zients.
Administration officials said that 100,000 Connecticut workers will get a raise as a result of Malloy and state lawmakers heeding President Barack Obama’s call to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 by 2017, which the Nutmeg State became the first to commit to earlier this year.
Malloy said that increases to the minimum wage have been a shot in the arm to the state’s economy and affect many workers over the age of 50 and women, not just teenagers.
Singled out by the administration of Obama, who visited New Britain in March to promote his national minimum wage agenda, Malloy said he is proud to lead on issues such as paid sick days and an earned income tax credit.
Asked by Hearst Connecticut Media how much it will frame the gubernatorial contest, which is seen as a bellwether race nationally, Malloy said, “It’s gonna play a part that I’m not running away from, I can assure you.”
State GOP Chairman Jerry Labriola Jr. welcomed Malloy hitching his wagon to Obama.
“Dan Malloy and Barack Obama are two peas in a pod,” Labriola told Hearst. “They can tout all the liberal policies they want. The fact is, Connecticut’s economy continues to lag behind the rest of the nation, which is mainly due to Malloy’s policies of high taxes and government overreach.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,352,471 times
Personally, if Foley beats McKinney in the primaries, I probably will not vote this election

Oh yeah, I won't be here .

Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Personally, if Foley beats McKinney in the primaries, I probably will not vote this election

How does Jodi Rell compare to Malloy

Old 08-12-2014, 04:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
According to RealClearPolitics, Foley would defeat Malloy in November. I believe it. Honestly, most people I know and interact with here in CT are not liberal. They're CONSERVATIVE. My entire extended family here is conservative, and so is almost everyone in my company. I am beginning to believe that the only reason why CT wins Democratic votes more than Republican votes is because of heavily populated cities with minorities, poverty, unemployment, etc.

Also, out in public, I see far more conservative activism here in CT, especially over the past few years. Lots of stupid "Don't Tread on Me" flags, bumper stickers, people complaining about the new gun laws, etc. And lots of conservative yard signs lately.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post

Foley in the lead in early countings

Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,978,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am beginning to believe that the only reason why CT wins Democratic votes more than Republican votes is because of heavily populated cities with minorities, poverty, unemployment, etc.
Bingo. Last election Foley won 3/4 of the towns in the state, yet Malloy won the election based on the cities.

See the map at Connecticut gubernatorial election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2014, 04:39 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,233,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
According to RealClearPolitics, Foley would defeat Malloy in November. I believe it. Honestly, most people I know and interact with here in CT are not liberal. They're CONSERVATIVE. My entire extended family here is conservative, and so is almost everyone in my company. I am beginning to believe that the only reason why CT wins Democratic votes more than Republican votes is because of heavily populated cities with minorities, poverty, unemployment, etc.

Also, out in public, I see far more conservative activism here in CT, especially over the past few years. Lots of stupid "Don't Tread on Me" flags, bumper stickers, people complaining about the new gun laws, etc. And lots of conservative yard signs lately.
Why the change, Nep? About a month or so ago you debated me (pretty heavily) that Malloy was a shoe-in in November. At the time I wasn't so sure, as neither had a clear edge -- they were polling at a pretty much dead heat. And they still are. Just wondering why the change of heart? For what it's worth, I think Malloy will probAbly be reelected in November. Not happy about that, but them the breaks...

Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Bingo. Last election Foley won 3/4 of the towns in the state, yet Malloy won the election based on the cities.

See the map at Connecticut gubernatorial election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1000% right. We clearly are not a "blue state" on whole. Our "messy" cities are, though, no doubt Malloy: my opponent will roll back minimum wage, paid sick leave reform-image.jpg

Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
For what it's worth, I think Malloy will probAbly be reelected in November. Not happy about that, but them the breaks...

I went to the polls yesterday, so don't blame me.

I won't be going to the polls in November.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I went to the polls yesterday, so don't blame me.

I won't be going to the polls in November.
HAHA! At about 10 pm last night, when I checked the news, I knew right then you wouldn't be heading out to the polls in November! . But for what it's worth, I did keep up my end of the bargain yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut