Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating to Connecticut for my new job in Stamford CT. I am looking for the information about good neighborhood nearby which is family friendly and has good school district. Looking for 1 BR apartment , I am absolutely fine to commute from a different location but would prefer using metro as I think the traffic is bad to commute to Stamford.So I would like to seek information about nice locality with apartments at a reasonable price and main focus being on good area to raise children.Also would prefer if there are Indians nearby and shopping and activities near and around that area.

Pls let me know about this information as I am planning to come and have a look at the apartments.I am new to that area and would really appreciate help in this regard.

Thanks,
Sarika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
That most expensive part of the state and one of the most in the country what your budget for rent or house ?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Budget? Renting or buying? "Reasonable" is relative.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Congratulations on your job offer.

Is your job near the Stamford train station, or do they have a shuttle running to the train station? If so, you can commute from just about anywhere in lower Fairfield County, or even as far as western New Haven County (Milford)

Best schools would be Greenwich (super expensive), Darien, Wilton, Westport, & Fairfield. However, none will be cheap. Just slightly less than super-expensive.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt response. I will be renting an apartment.The metro station is walk able distance from my work. So I am looking for good community at a commutable distance with good schools.

Thanks,
SK

Old 08-15-2014, 01:13 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikakitty View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt response. I will be renting an apartment.The metro station is walk able distance from my work. So I am looking for good community at a commutable distance with good schools.

Thanks,
SK

try Milford least expensive it has a train station, mall, shopping centers, desent schools 30 mins from Stamford and 12 mins from Downtown New Haven. Milford also has small downtown.

Milford to Stamford on the train may be up to 36 mins.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
If you can afford it, I'd try Greenwich, Darien or Westport. Closer than Milford and great schools.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
[quote=sarikakitty;36098505]Hi All,

Thanks

And how much money would you like to spend per month renting an apartment in a good community with good schools?

Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Greenwich has a decent number of rentals. You should be able to swing a decent apartment there for around $1500. I would try that first. It's also relatively diverse for such a wealthy town.

Darien and Westport are very expensive and few rentals, however you might want to look at the Saugatuck section of Westport. Sometimes some affordable-ish apartments become available there, but a lot of the inventory there is old and worn out. A modern, nice 1BR in Westport will easily be more than $2k.

Further up the line, you could try Fairfield. Apartments are tough to come by, but you could try Fairfield Center - and alternatively, an apartment near the new Fairfield Metro station - which tends to be a bit cheaper than the center.

Your next train line options are Stratford and Milford. Stratford will likely be the cheapest place to find a walkable apartment to the train. Milford is inexpensive compared to Greenwich and Westport, but does get more pricey as you get near the train as it's a really nice downtown area and convenient for commuters. You may save some money on rent that gets eaten up by time and train tickets. Not sure if it's worth it or not. That's up to you.

All the above school systems are good, the best being in the more wealthy (and expensive) towns: Greenwich, Westport, Fairfield.

For reference, train times can be found at www.mta.info

Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Smile Thanks a lot....need some more help.

Hi,

Thanks lot for such a detailed information.If I search for apartments in Greenwich it shows me Stamford , Can you tell me if it has a separate zip code with which I can search.Also is there a way to look for a shared accommodation?

I ll be looking for apartments in Fairfield, Stratford and Milford as suggested.Is the grocery shopping easy in these areas?

Also if you know of any good apartment community in these areas that would be a great help too.I would prefer either being closer to the train station or closer to my work location.

Thanks once again.

SK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut