Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
This is probably one of the very few "perks" I get every day living in NJ without limits.

Sorry that you great people in CT have to "pay up" for these items otherwise.
Sorry that the great people of nj have to pay even more for electricity or tolls at every turn. I'll take a sales tax over tolls all day every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times
Tell me about it. Went to Bob's and Sports Authority looking for a new pair of running shoes. All picked over by noon.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Sorry that the great people of nj have to pay even more for electricity or tolls at every turn. I'll take a sales tax over tolls all day every day!
Yes it all "stinks" for sure.

"Tacks - tacks - tacks" under bare feet, that's how all these charges hurt like.

And don't say the sales tax too loudly, CT might find something else to collect more monies.

I am sorry that CT and NJ just drain monies from people in all different ways.

I was always under the impression that CT pays more for electricity btw.

Tolls, yep the NJ Turnpike especially is a ripoff.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Just take a day trip to NH and buy whatever you want for 0% sales tax any day of the year.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 AM

686 posts, read 1,768,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Just take a day trip to NH and buy whatever you want for 0% sales tax any day of the year.
And don't forget to pay use tax.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
well, the corporate tax rate for both states is the same - 9%
NJ has a higher income tax rate, though, topping out at almost 9%, while CT tops out at almost 7%. NJ's sales tax rate is still higher than CT, though they do have the clothing exemption.

CT has no tolls on our highways, but we also pay property taxes on our automobiles, so that is a wash.

Northern NJ has higher property tax rates than CT.
And do not forget, here in Connecticut we do not have a county level of government so we do not have county taxes. Still there is no way that we here in Connecticut cannot say that we have low taxes. You get what you pay for. You want things like good schools, social services and law enforcement, you have to pay for them. Jay

Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And do not forget, here in Connecticut we do not have a county level of government so we do not have county taxes. Still there is no way that we here in Connecticut cannot say that we have low taxes. You get what you pay for. You want things like good schools, social services and law enforcement, you have to pay for them. Jay
True - neither state is a "low cost" state.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
True - neither state is a "low cost" state.
I agree with both your statements.

NJ ""

CT "" maybe a tad less.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I agree with both your statements.

NJ ""

CT "" maybe a tad less.

well, we're paying for the privilege of living close to arguably the best city in the world in NYC. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Actually we here in CT pay a much higher electricity rate than NJ residents do.

CT: 20.18 cents per kwh
NJ: 15.48

Data is of March 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut